Heads up - Cheap Dehydrator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bumping this, as they are back! get in quick whilst stocks last, I made some jerky last night in my german branded version of this dehydrator. No doubt the kids'll eat the lot when they get home tonight!

:D

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Can anyone tell me roughly what temperature these dehydrators get to when running?

I'm tempted to try doing some dehydrating in my oven, provided I can get it set to a suitably low temperature... I'm guessing it must be somewhere between 50 and 70 degrees C.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Can anyone tell me roughly what temperature these dehydrators get to when running?

I'm tempted to try doing some dehydrating in my oven, provided I can get it set to a suitably low temperature... I'm guessing it must be somewhere between 50 and 70 degrees C.

Much is depending on make and model, but they range from 30C to 85C
Others are fixed at one temperature, somewhere about 80C

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Just to say thank to this thread I am now a proud owner of a dehydrator from westfalia. What a wonderful thing this is, I've only stopped using it now as I've ran out of stuff to dry... Well I'm tempted to try potatos, but not sure about that one.

Cheers one n all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
About a hairdryer on cool. But I think the fan is the biggest aid to drying out the fruits and veggies. I used to string stuff above the kitchen radiatior in Winter but had a problem with leathers. The dehydrator is brilliant for them :D

cheers,
M

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I bought a dehydrator with my Christmas money, and we've been pretty pleased with the results so far. Theres a lot of cheap fruit going from time to time and we've been experimenting with honey dips as a pre drying treatment. So far only one go at leathers, but it came out ok. I bought an apple peeler and corer device (one of the winding ones) in a junkshop the other day as the boys are keen to help.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
So far I've made a few different jerkies, few bits o dried pear and banana and a leather made from mixed fruit. I have to say I'm highly impressed, I tried drying things before in the oven but it wasn't as fast as this, and I suspect used more electric.. :(

I made what I'm choosing to call travel cakes last night, consisting of potatos, rice, cous cous and some cajan spice. I cooked the above and grated n mixed, allowed to cool a bit then made into small rounds and fried in dry pan. I'll dehyrate them later on hopefully to have a nice tastey carbohydrate snack.. Welll thats the plan, they'll probably be eaten veryquickly, as all things that come from the new fangled gadget.

Nagual.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE