Heads up - Cheap Dehydrator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
to do fruit leathers your best of using Teflex sheets they are about £5 each and you will need to cut it into shape, if anyone has any queries about making fruit leathers im more than happy to help,we make them in HUGE cauldrens, basically you have to cook whatever fruit your using (all ours are apple based as the apple is a great binder n sweetener) ,let it cool, run it through a blender ,pour it out and leave in the dehydrator for about 12 hours,though considerably longer if it doesnt have a fan though.
Another useful tip is to rotate the trays i.e top one put on bottom half way through as it shortens the drying time and drys them more evenly :)
:D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Really interested in getting some more reviews on this one, been after a dehydrator for a while to prepare all our camping food.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the info Jerky Meister :D much appreciated.............now if the dehydrator would just huurry up and get here....... :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

B

Banjobill

Lithril said:
Really interested in getting some more reviews on this one, been after a dehydrator for a while to prepare all our camping food.

Another reason for buying off QVC, is that they offer a 30 day money-back guarantee.

Buy it, try it and send it back if you dont like it. No quibbles!

(Sorry for sounding like the Advertising Department of QVC!)

fast celt

Forager
Aug 9, 2005
West Yorkshire
I give in, just ordered one all ready skint even more so now.
Hope it worth it? :(
Is it possible for some one to start a thread for recipes and to say what successes and failures they have had? ;)

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
You'll be happy to know that meat is easy enough (at least in my dehydrater and I doubt they differ that much), jerky/biltong is down to personal taste. Rough recipe would be

Cut meat in to lean strips, no more than say 10mm deep and as wide and long as you like. Lean is important as the fat will go rancid over time where as the meat will not, having said that it depends on whether your going to store it for long.

Make a marinade, this really is down to taste, but I often add soy sauce, teriyaki, bit of worcester, some liquid smoke, hot paprika, chilli flakes.

Add meat and marinade to large freezer bag, seal bag, 'squidge' it around, leave in bag, place bag in bowl and in to the fridge, leave 12 hours+.

Your then ready to add meat in to the dehydrator, lay out so it's not overlapping, I sprinkle for chilli flakes and black pepper on top.

I've taken a look and I'm not sure if you can alter the temprature if you can keep it a little lower (but above 60 degrees) and 'leave' the meat to deyhdrate for 7 hours+ (hard to estimate this as it depends on thickness of meat and temp, sometimes mine can take over 12 hours) If you can't lower the temp then don't worry, the end product may end up a little crisper that's all.

Oh if you have multiple trays then rotate them for more even drying.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
themac said:
You'll be happy to know that meat is easy enough (at least in my dehydrater and I doubt they differ that much), jerky/biltong is down to personal taste. Rough recipe would be

Cut meat in to lean strips, no more than say 10mm deep and as wide and long as you like. Lean is important as the fat will go rancid over time where as the meat will not, having said that it depends on whether your going to store it for long.

Make a marinade, this really is down to taste, but I often add soy sauce, teriyaki, bit of worcester, some liquid smoke, hot paprika, chilli flakes.

OK I give up... got one on order now.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
How economical are dehydrators? I have made jerky only once in the oven, but Im reluctant to do so again due to the huge electric bill.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Mine finally arrived last week. I was surprised at it's size, bigger than expected.

No time yet to have a play but hope to do so this week - just some fruit to start with.

David

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Just decided to go for one and it is out of stock/ 'Wait List' only now :( You buggers got then all :) If anyone sees any more around or wants to sell it on please post.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I picked up a dehydrator about two weeks ago, not the QVC, but mine looks the same. Great bit of kit, and much quicker than using an oven.

I've had fantastic results with mushrooms, leeks, carrots, cabbage, celery and (frozen) peas and corn. Watch the carrots though, when they hydrate they really go back to original size, so don't get tempted to put too much in a stew, or you end up with carrot stew.

Beef jerky is good, I used sirloin steak (on special at Iceland) cut into strips, and soaked in different mixes, soy and garlic, worc sauce and curry powder, red wine and mixed herbs have all worked well.

If you have been using your gas or electric oven to dry food, be careful, like I said, these are much quicker.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
rik_uk3 said:
I picked up a dehydrator about two weeks ago, not the QVC, but mine looks the same. Great bit of kit, and much quicker than using an oven.

I've had fantastic results with mushrooms, leeks, carrots, cabbage, celery and (frozen) peas and corn. Watch the carrots though, when they hydrate they really go back to original size, so don't get tempted to put too much in a stew, or you end up with carrot stew.

Beef jerky is good, I used sirloin steak (on special at Iceland) cut into strips, and soaked in different mixes, soy and garlic, worc sauce and curry powder, red wine and mixed herbs have all worked well.

If you have been using your gas or electric oven to dry food, be careful, like I said, these are much quicker.
where was it from rik_uk3 and how much?

fast celt

Forager
Aug 9, 2005
West Yorkshire
Funny you should say that about carrots :eek: Um Ur
Carrot soup with bit of celery onion & leek (was ment to be mixed veg) was not the best meal i've ever made by a long way

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Moonraker said:
Just decided to go for one and it is out of stock/ 'Wait List' only now :( You buggers got then all :) If anyone sees any more around or wants to sell it on please post.

Same here Simon. :(

Anyone have links to any cheap dehydrators? Cheapest i've found in the UK is about £80 :eek:

Any sign of yours yet Toddy?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE