Heads Up Aldi Belt/Bench Grinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was in my local Aldi in Dunstable. bought the dremmel clone and tools kit :)

As for the grinders... they had 18 of them sat there so if you're after one and you're not far then head over to Dunstable :)

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Just got one of these, thanks everyone for the heads up and info about them, any chance of a link to the belts on BB and any advice on which belts to buy and what not to, there are a lot on ebay/internet, if anyone could point me in the right direction to save me the expense of trial and error it would be greatly appreciated.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Bought one for finishing my remaining unassembled firebox stoves.

Deburring grills takes forever by hand, because each grill has like 60 tangs. I did 13 of them yesterday afternoon alone using my Aldi grinder.

I shaped the tangs using the grinding wheel, and then polished off any remaining sharp bits with the sanding belt. Major improvement on the hand file.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2009
Uttoxeter,Staffs.
Just got one of these, thanks everyone for the heads up and info about them, any chance of a link to the belts on BB and any advice on which belts to buy and what not to, there are a lot on ebay/internet, if anyone could point me in the right direction to save me the expense of trial and error it would be greatly appreciated.
Go to British Blades.In the space "Search the forums" type Aldi Bench grinder/sander & you will find posts on this subject.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
If anyone's needing chisels the aldi set are very good for the money.

Can also recomend the dog seatbelt. May sound daft but my hound likes to sit on the seat but if I brake sharply she head butts the dash! Seatbelt for a fiver has solved the problem plus worth having if I were in an acident. It's just a harness with a loop you put the car seat belt through.

The drill bits set wasn't much cop but I still use the box and just replace bits as they wear out.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Here's a link to the BB post:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...-belt-sander&p=1971176&viewfull=1#post1971176

Looks like this chap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abrasive-belts-ALDI-REXON-CLARKE-SANDER-50X686-10-/400091095485

There are also these which are claimed to be Draper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-50-x...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item43a49ad6f6

Draper used to be a good supplier but I'm less sure about that nowadays and would welcome observations. Also from anyone with experience of these suppliers.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
By the way, what size are the belts this thing takes?

Does anyone know of a good source of belts with grits > 1000? I have a hankering to make some things silly sharp.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2009
Uttoxeter,Staffs.
By the way, what size are the belts this thing takes?

Does anyone know of a good source of belts with grits > 1000? I have a hankering to make some things silly sharp.

The belt size is 50mm x 686mm & grit range 60-600g.You cannot get conventional belts finer than that.Try johnt1102 on British Blades or ebay.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Wouldn't that destroy the little "shelf" the belt rests upon?

One of the belts I was using today was getting nicely worn out to the point that I thought it could be used for sharpening.

Alas I was a little careless with the piece of sheet metal I was deburring and punctured the belt, causing it to explode spectacularly and nearly causing me to disembowel myself with the sheet metal as it shot toward me.

I was so close to having a nice sharpening belt that I was rather upset. Also about the disembowelling..... ;)

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
After much deliberation in Aldi today I picked one of these up. Got a few little projects in mind, let's see how it goes.

The Green Man6977

Oct 27, 2012
Wilmslow
Hi New Member here.

Can I ask a couple of questions about the Aldi model?

I have a number of cut throat razors to polish up, I have polising disks, paste and a mandrell that I'm running on a basic drill held in a vice, and want to upgrade to something better and safer. So ...

Will the belt attachment come off to allow a second disk to run on the right hand side?

And..

Does the grinder run reasonably quietly, I don't really want to annoy my neighbours?

Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE