Lidl Bench Grinder/Sander Heads Up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've got one of these. Had it a few months, not used it much though as changing belts takes ages and the motor isn't as powerful as my other standard two stone grinder.

Not bad for touching up tools though, but certainly not something you'd have to make a knife with.

If anyone's local and wants to trade for mine let me know. lol I don't have the room to keep tools I don't use.. apparently..

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
Quick question for anyone who already has one of these, how easy is it to source replacement sanding belts or belts in different grits for these?

Anyhelp gratefully received

Ade

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can't remember the length/width of the belt but it shouldn't be hard. I think they are 2" x 30" belts. Also it's not that easy to use the belt on big blades due to the belt housing getting in the way. The platen doesn't raise high enough either and the motor really isn't very powerful..

Mine has since been made redundant and only used with buffing wheels.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have the Aldi version which is identical but blue. I bought spare belts when I bought it but when I finally wore out the first one and tried to change it, I found that the new belts were a bit too big. I had to bodge it a bit but I made it work.
The tool rests are flimsy and only fixed on one side so prone to wobbles. The guard around the sander always seems to be in the way and will one day be hacked into a new shape. There is a backplate behind the belt so no good for slack belt convex shenanigans.
The laid back angle is ok for freehand stuff but doesn't let you build jigs for anything accurate.
I replaced the grindstone with a polishing mop which affects the belt as the stone acts as a flywheel.

It's better than no belt sander and the problem is that to get anything better you have to stump up a lot more dosh.
Ok for hobby use. You would struggle to make a knife from a blank unless you did it all freehand.

Z

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I bought this item a few years ago, and it is still going strong. It was £19.99 at the time from ALDI. Best Buy for sure.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Is there a better purchase that would do a similar job for similar money?

Ade

A standard two wheel bench grinder will do most jobs, but the appeal of that belt attachment is what made !e buy it. It doesn't however wprk how i wanted it to. I have had and used a lidl belt sander as a linisher for about 2 years.

Now I've made knives, sharpened machetes and shaped handles etc etc with that. For £30 a belt sander on its back will be a god send to those of us on the cheap who need a type of more accurate belt grinder!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE