have i got this right? hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RodStrod

Jul 10, 2006
Bolton
I need to ask this question just to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, I'm pretty sure I'm not, but anyway:

When you lie in the group buy hammock, should you be cocooned completely inside your hammock? i.e. both sides of the hammock meet above you, and you feel like you're inside a tube of pringles? I know you can drape your legs and arms outside it. It just seems there is so much material that it can't do anything else, unless I am doing something wrong.

If I am set up correctly, then I'm tempted to put in some mesh panels, (1. so i can see, 2. for a built in mosquito net) and maybe some kind of optional closure system at the top, like a zip maybe, so you can have it open or closed. can anyone see any problems with that?....just thinking out loud.

thanks, Rod.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Don't worry, you're ok, the group buy hammocks are 'double' hammocks. Thats not to say that you can get two people in them rather, there is alot more material, so that you are cocooned in.
Not sure about mods to them, but sombody out there might have done so already.
Baggins

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The reasoning behind getting double hammocks is that you get a better night's kip if you lie diagonally in it. Not quite 45° but not far off it. You'll find you lie straighter (with a fairly taught hammock) and the sides won't flap over your face quite so much. I wouldn't recommend putting a zip on it as it could prove problematic in an emergency. Mesh panels don't seem necessary either as you'll find out when you try the diagonal position.

Eric

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The reasoning behind getting double hammocks is that you get a better night's kip if you lie diagonally in it. Not quite 45° but not far off it. You'll find you lie straighter (with a fairly taught hammock) and the sides won't flap over your face quite so much. I wouldn't recommend putting a zip on it as it could prove problematic in an emergency. Mesh panels don't seem necessary either as you'll find out when you try the diagonal position.

Eric

AS Eric says if you tighten the hammock a little more and lie diagonally it wil make things a whole lot better. I too had the same issue and with a little playing it was a lot better ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE