Lofting a down item

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silverpac64

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
biddulph moor
it just crossed my mind about down items , sleeping bags , quilts , jackets etc , its allways been my understanding that they should be stored out of compression sacks , so they can loft . as not doing this will effect ther thermo doo dads . then i thought how long has the item been stored before you buy it new ? and the chances are they could have been compessed for maybe years ? so how come this doesnt effect the thermo rating ? or does it . ? all the best .

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Not long. For one it’s not good business for things to sit on the shelves for ever, cash flow is everything. How many times have you gone to a store for an item for them to say “we don’t stock those because we don’t sell enough of them”?

Not only that, down items are usually shipped in cardboard boxes to allow for lofting. Down sleeping bags are always kept in that giant pillow case like sack.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Down is shipped from China Vacuum packed and as dense as iron. Western Mountaineering ship their sleeping bags in the stuff sack, as do most companies because retailers simply do not have the space to store lofted bags. Compression doesn't hurt good quality down, it will hurt the feather component tho. What kills down is the repeated stuffing cycles and damp and poor storage conditions.
Some custom makers may ship locally lofted slightly in big cardboard boxes but most do not, surface shipping is by cubic tonne not by weight, so sending long distances lofted is bad economics

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE