Have I got a whitlow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I keep getting very hard skin under my thimb nail, it's sort of halfway between skin and nail in hardness. For some reason, it is incredibly painful until I cut the offending skin/nail off with a razor sharp knife, of which I have a few. Is this a whitlow? If so, I believe Sandsnakes' cure was to press the thumb straight into a lemon. I don't have a lemon! :rolleyes:

:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I 'thought' it was a recurring hack that never quite healed.

Spam, try putting some teatree oil on a cotton wool ball and elastoplasting it over the nail when you go to bed. That cures most nail infections or problems.

cheers,
Toddy

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
A whitlow is an infection in the pulpy flesh near the fingernail.

Get some magnesium sulphate paste from a pharmacy - it's cheap and you won't need much - and apply to the affected area. Cover with a plaster and leave it overnight. Mag sulph is very effective at drawing the pus to the surface and draining it painlessly.

If it's persistent, see your GP, who may either treat you with antibiotics or drain it surgically under local anaesthetic.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've always called these 'hang-nails'. Does anyone else?

Whitlow is, as above, an infection of the nailfold. When it gets big and boggy it needs someone to pop a knife in it or lift the nail. Antibugs might sort it if it's only a bit red.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mag Sulph paste draws out gunk, the teatree kills infection at source and it will go through the nail to do it without having to lance things.

cheers,
Toddy

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
My wife said cut off the offending digit...No what she said is it is bacterial infection if you find you are getting it in the same place you may find you have splinter or something else in there sterilize a needle in a flame pierce and release the pus

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Could you explain a bit better as to the position of it, is it near the top of the nail at the finger tip or down the side/at the base of the nail. If it is red in colour it is most probably paronychia, still bacterial in origin, if there is a foreign body in it as soon as you get this out it should clear up. if it doesn't see Gp as you may need antibiotics( they will also pierce it with a lance)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
now I've read all the posts . It sounds like a hang nail very common on dry dehydrated hands/fingers, it would keep coming back as you haven't tackled the cause. try using a hand cream ( atrixo is very good) daily and it should improve, carry on using hand cream and it shouldn't return.
Mrs Woodstock

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
now I've read all the posts . It sounds like a hang nail very common on dry dehydrated hands/fingers, it would keep coming back as you haven't tackled the cause. try using a hand cream ( atrixo is very good) daily and it should improve, carry on using hand cream and it shouldn't return.
Mrs Woodstock

Wassa hang nail? I clip my nails you see, and this is in the centre of my thumb nail, below the cuticle towards the tip of my thumb. It feels like the skin is too small for my thumb, if that makes any sense! It was like this before I clipped them, which I did so that I could get in with a rusty pen knife and dig the hard skin out!

(Only joking, I used a clean stainless steel penknife which I had just stropped up to beyond razor sharp.)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
it sounds like this, click on the link for a picture

www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html

Pterygium is the inward advance of skin over the nail plate, usually the result of trauma to the matrix due to a surgical procedure or by a deep cut to the nail plate. Pterygium results in the loss of the nail plate due to the development of scar tissue. Never attempt to remove pterygium -instead, consult a physician for advice and treatment.

NOTE: The 'true cuticle' is often referred to as Pterygium. If you have pterygium, it can only be treated by a physician and should never be removed by a nail technician.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
it sounds like this, click on the link for a picture

www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html

Pterygium is the inward advance of skin over the nail plate, usually the result of trauma to the matrix due to a surgical procedure or by a deep cut to the nail plate. Pterygium results in the loss of the nail plate due to the development of scar tissue. Never attempt to remove pterygium -instead, consult a physician for advice and treatment.

NOTE: The 'true cuticle' is often referred to as Pterygium. If you have pterygium, it can only be treated by a physician and should never be removed by a nail technician.

Yeah, now I'm having nightmares! I strongly advise people not to hit that link if they've just had their tea. If you've just eaten a manky kebab, click away!

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE