Hats; Materials, Types, Styles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I mostly use a cotton hat with an internal mosquito net. I`ve waterproofed it with wax. I bought it in Finland four years ago. Really neat idea, looks better than my old hat with the net on the outside. The one on the right on the picture.

Luer.jpg

With the net in action (I rarely use it though).

2006_0928_014700AA.JPG

The reason I like cotton hats is that they could be stashed in a pocket or ruck without loosing its shape.

Tor

What a clever idea

I'm surprised they're not more popular

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Err ... Tweed is scottish BR . :

Actually the word is argued to ahve been invented in 1830 in London when a merchant misunderstood a Scottish letter with the word tweel in it. Tweel is merely a Gaelic version of twill which is a manufacturing technique and not a cultural heritage.

Ergo the word tweed was invented in England :cool:

Tweed is also produced in Donegal - giving the Irish just as strong a claim to the cloth. Much used in flat caps is of course produced in neither place.

Tweel may well be Scottish. Tweed is a type of cloth ;)

Red

Very Cold = Russian, fur "trapper" style hat. Ear flaps down if it's windy (From ebay)
Cold = O.G. Possum / Merino type wooly hat. (From a charity shop)
Rainy = Waterproofed Suede type of squashy thing with a brim (From The Gap of all places)
Sunny = Camo Baseball cap (from the Imperial War Museum Shop bizarrely)
Buggy = O.G. Baseball cap with built in head net (bought in Norway, can't remember the make)

On a longer trip, expecting mixed conditions, I'd normally take the wooly hat and Camo baseball cap.
Have a yearning for a Fjällräven / Lars Felt safety hat, but never tried one on, and the price puts me off!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
As mentioned before, I recently bought a Barmah hat. .On Sunday I went to watch and take some oics of dragon boat racing in Gloucester docks in some awful weather - tipping it down. As a glasses wearer I came to appreciate quickly the advantage of a hat with a wide brim.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Oh ya forgot about the cold weather hats. I wear one of those U.S. army issue (according to them) beanies that they sell on bensbackwoods, 100% wool supposedly and olive drab, I just like olive drab... Good enough for me! A lot of people on here seem to have a possum and merino beanie, is that just because they're on Ray Mears site or are they really better than regular old wool hats? I actually have a bit of a umm hat fetish as well I think lol, worn a hat most of my life yet don't own that many for some reason, but I do like them a lot.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I used to use these for the wet and colder season, together with a Wallaby Bush Hat made from oilskin:
http://www.fjaellraeven-shop.de/fja...0-def-EUR-44129##0##r&hits=12&hits=12&offset=
http://www.fjaellraeven-shop.de/fja...0-def-EUR-44129##0##r&hits=12&hits=12&offset=
(The latter one was also used as a sun-hat by my mother for about ten years when she visited almost every country between Lybia and the Jemen).
Now I wait for the delivery from Tilley which should take place tomorrow or saturday :D

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I'm pretty set on getting a Tilley hat in the next few days...

Questions for those of you who have already bought Tilley.... T4 or T5 ? For everyday hillwalking use, any benefit to having a T4 with a big brim (in the uk)?

Hemp. ? Any benefits in getting a hemp hat?

Best regards,

Nige.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I'm pretty set on getting a Tilley hat in the next few days...

Questions for those of you who have already bought Tilley.... T4 or T5 ? For everyday hillwalking use, any benefit to having a T4 with a big brim (in the uk)?

Hemp. ? Any benefits in getting a hemp hat?

Best regards,

Nige.

It's got to be a green T3 if you ask me Nige.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well one advantage of the hemp hat would be that it doesn't absorb as much water as the cotton ones... Well I don't think it does anyway, I haven't worn it in the rain that much so don't go by me on that, but cotton seems to really absorb water and that might not be a great feature on a hat, but people seem to like them anyway so whatever.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Tilley t3 and 5 for me also leather Buccaroo

I also have a Swandri pure wool scull cap for when it is realy cold

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I mostly use a cotton hat with an internal mosquito net. I`ve waterproofed it with wax. I bought it in Finland four years ago. Really neat idea, looks better than my old hat with the net on the outside. The one on the right on the picture.

Luer.jpg

With the net in action (I rarely use it though).

2006_0928_014700AA.JPG

The reason I like cotton hats is that they could be stashed in a pocket or ruck without loosing its shape.

Tor

I've just been to buy a new cheap hat (I keep losing them and I do not suit them, but like them strangely...) and the Trek Mates bush hat comes with a mozzie net folded into a pocket in the crown - just like your idea above.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE