Hats; Materials, Types, Styles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Ok folks, I'm considering buying a (seemingly regulation issue) bush type hat. So;

Leather, felt, etc?
Ausie Bush hat, traditional Victorian bowler hat, Trilby, etc?

What do you have / recommend and why?

Chris

I have two:

A cotton bush hat made by Highlander for the summer / expeditions where I need it to pack small.

A leather bush hat made by Land Rover (I'm a bit nuts on them).

Either way, I recommend both (each have their pro's & con's), I'd recommend a decent brim all round for hot & wet weather, but otherwise, get one that you like and that suits you.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I have a felt Akubra from Australia, great hat although it needs reshaping now due to generally being abused. If you want one of these I'd look around as they're cheaper to order direct from Oz normally than from over here.

I've also got a Tilley hat and I must admit this is my hat of choice now, they're pretty much bomb proof, can be stuffed in the bottom of a bag, fairly light.

Excellent bit of kit. I've had a couple of cheaper ones for outdoors, including ones with wire rims and they've just not lasted.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have a Tilley that I've had for donkey's years - highly recommended; and a new Barmah squashy kangaroo that is my new best friend.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Surplus US issue tricolour desert boonie was about USD10 I think, had it for years so :dunno: Me and hats don't get on, I think I have an ugly head :D but;

PICT0278.jpg

Willie and John have much nicer hats but for some reason I don't feel the need to invest heavily in hats, just something I'm not passionate about, kind of wish I was but my ugly head ;) doesn't allow it.

Cheers,

Alan

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I have a Tilley TH5 hemp hat and I like it. Seems fairly tough, just gotta stretch it over your knee if it gets wet and shrinks (doesn't shrink a lot). Got a UPF or something rating of 50+, you know for keeping UV rays out and stuff, I think 50+ is the highest rating (maybe). They say "you could keep a spare 10 (or in your case maybe a 20) dollar bill in the plastic bag in the pocket in the crown for emergency cash" and they also refer to it as a Rolls-Royce a few times in the owners manual and for good reason because they aren't exactly cheap... Mine cost me about $80 CAD! Though it should last a long time and there's some sort of warrenty.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tilly T3 - see my review - Kakadu leather hat, wooly hats made from a British Army Wooly Pully for cold weather, Buffs and many more...I like hats....but overall the Tilley gets most wear!

Dec 16, 2007
Got a tilley T3 as well plus a dpm bush hat which is ok and a scarf made by a Karen hill tribe women in Burma got just over a year ago not as hot as a shemagh but does the trick nice.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Another vote for the Tilley T3 here ,I also have cold days a Fjall Raven rabbit fur trimmed Winter Heater and Possum and Merino Beanie.
Neil

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I love a hat, first choice is wool material beanie hand made by Toddy, again thank you, second Wool Fjallraven, third Tilley T3 in dark blue, fourth camo bush hat, fifth Tweed stalker, sixth waxed Babour, seventh... I could go on. Different hats for different situations, oh and a buff and a midgie head net is always in my bag.
jon

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Tilly T3 - see my review - Kakadu leather hat, wooly hats made from a British Army Wooly Pully for cold weather, Buffs and many more...I like hats....but overall the Tilley gets most wear!

I'm with John - many hats! One for every week of the year, I think!

Ranging from military work hats to beanies to a Lowe Alpine Mountain Hat (v warm), a Fjallraven G1000 hat (warm again), couple of baseball caps (casual and keep sun out of eyes) and a Rogue leather bush hat which stops rain on your face and down your neck. Thin buff or beany to go under climbing/cycling helmets. Actually, buffs are pretty versatile but it's so nice to have something with a brim to keep rain from going down your neck.

Don't think I could just choose a single 'do-all' hat. That'd be boring...

I think I could probably say that I have a hat 'problem'...:rolleyes: We could start a 'Hats Anonymous' thread:

'Hi, my names Mike and I'm a hataholic' .... then everyone has a group hug and tells me that I can do it if I really try. Just take it one day at a time...bareheaded :eek: .

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I mostly use a cotton hat with an internal mosquito net. I`ve waterproofed it with wax. I bought it in Finland four years ago. Really neat idea, looks better than my old hat with the net on the outside. The one on the right on the picture.

Luer.jpg

With the net in action (I rarely use it though).

2006_0928_014700AA.JPG

The reason I like cotton hats is that they could be stashed in a pocket or ruck without loosing its shape.

Tor

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i have a thing for Akubras,they dont get much better than that.although i have dozens of hats (a bit of a hat fetish i think) :D here is an Akubra everybody will recognise i think.

Picture1944.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Err...cap, flat , tweed.

English and good enough for generations of farmers and landowners - you know - people who spend all day outdoors in all weather,

Goes in you pocket, doesn't crumple, keeps your head warm and dry, keeps the rain off.

What else is a hat for?

Red

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Err ... Tweed is scottish BR . and my Akubra does all them things as well but better. and it goes in my pocket .:yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE