Hate that bushcraft...!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Remember there's no such thing as bad weather - just the wrong clothes.

When I hit the fifty mark I found I had the urge to pee more than once in the night. Unzipping the sleeping bag was bad enough, but actually getting up and leaving the tent became a real pain in the you know what.

I eventually found that if I rolled on my side, with the sleeping bag pulled well out of the way I could pee into a pop bottle, screw the cap back on and go straight back to sleep. If it was really cold I'd take the pop bottle into the sleeping bag with me like a hot water bottle. Once, I had had a good drink with some friends and needed to pee five times in the one night. I managed to fill the pop bottle up and placed it outside the tent, on the grass by the door flap. When I got up in the morning to empty it, it was gone. I never found out who drank it, but somebody must have. Anyway I got funny looks from a couple of my friends but it was never mentioned. It puts a whole new slant on the expression 'Getting ******'

Eric

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Washing up? What's that then?? My mate just uses moss as a sponge scourer...

What do I hate? Cold nights aren't fun, but colder mornings are worse.

And also those Sunday walkers that are kitted out to take on Everest, yet are found walking the Thames path in Surrey...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
arctic hobo said:
people with ice axes in the middle of summer, with crampons strapped to their bag... on a coast path! It can be very funny to see these people, luckily around here aside from falling off the cliffs there is not much danger they can expose themselves to, but still they can be quite irrresponsible. Thankfully some of them do know what they're doing, they just have far too much money than is good for them :rolleyes:

I've wandered about in the summer with ice axes and crampons... but I was going to climb up some chalk cliffs... first impressions are usually right but not always.

I'm glad you didn't see me when I was wandering about or you'd bang me to rights. :eek:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Wayne, Yeah, only once... never again for me...

I was leading and a HUGE lump fell off and nearly killed my second and I dangled for a few seconds by my ice axe sheath wondering if I was still alive.

It *IS* for mad eejits :D

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Abbe Osram said:
I don’t like the endless gear talk of my fellow bushcraft brothers or the hero worship. Ah yes, I don’t like particular knife fetishism either. It’s a tool for Christ sake and doesn’t have to cost the world
See above.
Oh and I hate being mid poo when you suddenly hear someone else around. :eek:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Squidders said:
I've wandered about in the summer with ice axes and crampons... but I was going to climb up some chalk cliffs... first impressions are usually right but not always.

I'm glad you didn't see me when I was wandering about or you'd bang me to rights. :eek:
I admit to the same (not on chalk, as I don't want to die) - but there's a difference between a dry tooling or a mixed axe, and a walking axe designed to keep a walker safe on Helvellyn. And crampons that are 10 point and flexible... maybe they're just so they can tread on the tramps as they pass (excuse my bitterness :D )

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
The only thing i hate is going home, and the days of depression that follow subsiding into the manotany of day to day work related drivel :( cant understand the poo thing i prefer it, most other cultures and countrys squat, its a natural position for shedding your load :D just more difficult to read the paper :D

I can put up with most things that mother nature throws at me, but there is one thing that irritates me beyond belief. I really HATE it when I am walking through thick undergrowth and I get a length of Bramble bush caught between my feet so that when I take a step forward it is dragged across the back of my calf like a chainsaw :eek: .
When that happens it is a good idea to stand well clear and try not to laugh while I vent my rage at every Bramble bush in sight. I know Gaiters would probably prevent this problem but I can't stand wearing them unless its snowing. I suppose its just one of those things that you just have to accept if you spend much time in British woodland, and at least there are Blackberries to look forward to :) .

www.dryadbushcraft.co.uk

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The things I hate about bushcraft, there is a lot but most things end up with people. Washing my clothes is a relaxing thing to do in the evenings a few minutes with your thoughts. Being in the wilderness is not uncomfortable, it´s all about how you make it.

Remember a guy who got ½ liter of water in his sleeping one night when it was about -15 and when I saw him in the morning he just smiled and said:
- I got a wet sleeping bag!
He had fixed the problem ond continued sleeping and he was a man that are very comfortable to be far away from civiliasation.

Don´t judge people that don´t have the right kit some of these people know a lot more then you do and some people just need som guidance and if you can help do so.

Sometimes things are very simple, so don´t complicate it...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Wayne said:
Washing up is my major dislike. I have yet to find a truely acceptable method for washing up using as little soap and water as possible.

Hey Wayne, I have a very similar dislike for washing up....so I cook as much as I can without using a billy for anything other than water... helps with my inginuity and bushcooking...I'm wanting to get to the stage where I don't need a billy at all, just my knife, hands and teeth :D steaming stuff in moss is good... as is grilling on a selfmade greenwood rack...earth ovens and rock baking all limit the use of the old marrigolds... lol

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
PC2K said:
3. squating down to poo, i just can't find a comfortabel way...

Find a small tree or post Mate, stand with a foot either side of it as you would if you were about to shimmy up to collect a coconut, drop your pants and kacks down to your knees (no lower or you'll find a little gift in them when you finish :eek: ) and put your hands around the trunk at about hip height, then sit back taking your weight on your arms, bend your legs slightly (always a good idea to check your rough aim between your legs first) and then relax and let gravity do it's thing....

Hope that's helps.....if you have issues with clean up afterwards then Shinobi knows a neat trick with vaseline....and no I'm not joking or being rude! :D If you ask him then he'll be happy to tell you all about it... :)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
On the course with Wild-Live last June(hard to believe it's almost a year ago) My feet were stung by nettles, I cut my thumb with my knive, my water bottle opened in my hammock in the middle of the night and it took me three days to wash the dirt of my hands and face.

I absolutly loved every minute of it :) . I don't mind washing up or washing cloths I don't mind waking up cold or going to bed wet.

I do hate coming home(I love my wife and family but it's the tough part of the trip). As my wife has noted in the past my mind and heart are always a week behind me and are still sitting at the campfire while my body is sitting here crunching numbers. :(

Only two weeks to go and I am free for a few days. My heart is already there.

James

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ticks and Chiggers.

I haven't run into many ticks outside the US, but have had more than enough chiggers in this country to have them at the top of my pet hate tree. They seem to like the taste of me and it is real downer to have to treat all clothes and skin in chemicals before wandering off trail during the summer.

Knife nuts are alright...even collector addicts :D Its the clueless lovers of flee market Rambo knives and the people who see weapons, not tools, that annoy the heck out of me.

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
As my wife has noted in the past my mind and heart are always a week behind me and are still sitting at the campfire while my body is sitting here crunching numbers. :(

James[/QUOTE]

What a lovely way of putting it ! :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I hate it when you unknowingly stand on the free end of a thin bramble, then you take another pace forward and your foot goes under the bramble and you end up tripping yourself up with the bramble, so you stumble and do that stupid run for three paces. Feel like a proper tw*t everytime!

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
You feel even worse when you hit the deck and spend the next fortnight digging the tips of the thorns out of your palms with the Grohmann boat knife you built from the kit two days before.

Not speaking from personal experience or anything :rolleyes:

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE