Hate that bushcraft...!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Everyone's so keen on this bushcraft lark...but lets face it, it's not all perfect all of the time now is it!! :D

I'm just interested to know what areas people find difficult or that they just DON'T LIKE? Do you ever think, oh god, I have to do this particular thing AGAIN, but I have to it because I've just done A, and in order to get to C I have to do B...and I HATE B.

I have little interest in navigation and have a mental block when anyone starts talking about it BUT, there's a large part of me that thinks, now come on Kimberly, you've got to learn about this stuff because if you're ever out in the middle of nowhere and get disorientated it just might save your bacon...or quorn sausage if you're a veggie. That plus a love/hate relationship I have with the bow drill, and I would prefer the average temperature when camping to be at least 60 degrees all of the time....er, why is it again that I do this....??? :D :D

Yet for some reason, I still love it and can't imagine my life without it!!!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Washing up is my major dislike. I have yet to find a truely acceptable method for washing up using as little soap and water as possible.

i'm not too keen on packing up and going back to the real world either. Oh for a life in the woods full time.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Have to agree there Wayne - hiking or bushcrafting, I can't stand washing up. I also don't like those wet evenings that it's dry enough to be out but far too wet for a fire - and fire by friction on wet wood is a no-go. Well it is for me at least!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Kim said:
Everyone's so keen on this bushcraft lark...but lets face it, it's not all perfect all of the time now is it!! :D

I'm just interested to know what areas people find difficult or that they just DON'T LIKE? Do you ever think, oh god, I have to do this particular thing AGAIN, but I have to it because I've just done A, and in order to get to C I have to do B...and I HATE B.

I have little interest in navigation and have a mental block when anyone starts talking about it BUT, there's a large part of me that thinks, now come on Kimberly, you've got to learn about this stuff because if you're ever out in the middle of nowhere and get disorientated it just might save your bacon...or quorn sausage if you're a veggie. That plus a love/hate relationship I have with the bow drill, and I would prefer the average temperature when camping to be at least 60 degrees all of the time....er, why is it again that I do this....??? :D :D

Yet for some reason, I still love it and can't imagine my life without it!!!

I don’t like the endless gear talk of my fellow bushcraft brothers or the hero worship. Ah yes, I don’t like particular knife fetishism either. It’s a tool for Christ sake and doesn’t have to cost the world. ;) But on the other hand I like to talk about GB axes :D

cheers
Abbe

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
A blade fetish is ok as long as it doesnt become and adiction or worse - it becomes the be all and end all - as Abbe points out its only a tool - bad bushcrafter with good knife is still a bad bushcraft!!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
May be it's because I play with swords for a living but I just can't see why people get so excited by blades.

I see it all the time in schools, the boys in particular just want to see the knife, scramseax or sword.

And almost without exception they see a knife as a weapon rather than a tool. :(

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I hate wet bread or food, urgh.

Or having to put very wet clothes on in the morning.

I also think finding the edge of the forest or town spoils things, wish the landscapes could go on for ever and not have a road blocking the way. :(

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I don't like gear freaks - people who have all the latest gear and don't know how to use it. I came across two well kitted out individuals on a high pass in the Lake District a few years ago. One asked me if I knew where I was and I replied that I did. He asked if I could tell him as he didn't know. I asked if he had a Silva compass and he said "No, mine's plastic!". I had to give them a quick lesson in orientating a map and taking bearings as they didn't have the foggiest idea, but had all the latest gear (including ice axes - in july).

I don't like putting wet clothing on in the morning either. I usually hold it in front of the camp fire until it starts to steam then put it on hot and let it cool down to my body temp.

I don't like washing up either, now I just let the dog lick the plates clean!

Eric

P.S. (Joke). I don't have a dog

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
1. find a place, were there are few people starring at me. Have to travel to long to get to a quiet spot.

2. washing up, especially wenn you managed to burn your food again.

3. squating down to poo, i just can't find a comfortabel way...

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Eric_Methven said:
I don't like gear freaks - people who have all the latest gear and don't know how to use it. I came across two well kitted out individuals on a high pass in the Lake District a few years ago. One asked me if I knew where I was and I replied that I did. He asked if I could tell him as he didn't know. I asked if he had a Silva compass and he said "No, mine's plastic!". I had to give them a quick lesson in orientating a map and taking bearings as they didn't have the foggiest idea, but had all the latest gear (including ice axes - in july).
We get a lot of that around here, as I live in a very rich area... we call them the "walking pole brigade". Nothing against walking poles or people who use them, but it's characteristic to see these toffs in 500 quid jackets and walking poles (one in each hand, and one or two spares in the 200 quid Salomon/Helly Hansen rucksack, logos branded all over for everyone to see), including once a woman climbing a steep hill in what looked like the thickest Rab duvet jacket I have ever seen! Quite how she survived the heat I'll never know. I remember once seeing as you say people with ice axes in the middle of summer, with crampons strapped to their bag... on a coast path! It can be very funny to see these people, luckily around here aside from falling off the cliffs there is not much danger they can expose themselves to, but still they can be quite irrresponsible. Thankfully some of them do know what they're doing, they just have far too much money than is good for them :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Clegs.

I hate shivering myself to sleep in a sleeping bag. Once I *am* asleep I'm warm but getting there's not fun.

Clegs. :( :(
The little bu**ers always find me.

Cheers.
Toddy

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
We get a lot of that around here, as I live in a very rich area... we call them the "walking pole brigade". Nothing against walking poles or people who use them, but it's characteristic to see these toffs in 500 quid jackets and walking poles (one in each hand, and one or two spares in the 200 quid Salomon/Helly Hansen rucksack, logos branded all over for everyone to see), including once a woman climbing a steep hill in what looked like the thickest Rab duvet jacket I have ever seen! Quite how she survived the heat I'll never know. I remember once seeing as you say people with ice axes in the middle of summer, with crampons strapped to their bag... on a coast path! It can be very funny to see these people, luckily around here aside from falling off the cliffs there is not much danger they can expose themselves to, but still they can be quite irrresponsible. Thankfully some of them do know what they're doing, they just have far too much money than is good for them :rolleyes:
LOL, we see them all the time too here. :D

I too cant stand doing the washing up. :rolleyes:

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
Dislike the sheer hard work and effort it takes me to go for a wee in the middle of the night !! :rolleyes:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hmmm...there's not much that i hate. Being ill-prepared and going to sleep cold is bad.

Washing up aint fun either! :D

And returning home in the rain only to find you've got lots of work to do, and the thought of being in a city :(

Cheers...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE