Hatchet Handle Grip Material

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have just purchaced a very cheap hatchet for removing tree roots with. A "Supertool" that was sharp, but is now not good.

I am looking into getting a propper wood splitting tool of some sort, and was wonndering what is the best handle material is, as the hatchet I have just bought had a basic soft rubber grip, and has brought blisters to my hand quickly.

I have hammers, (stanley, JCB) with expensive synthetic grips that do not seem so irritating to skin, and am looking for pointers and opinions on the best type handle.

Pete

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Nothing compares to the feel of a wood handle, but for a splitting maul or axe then a fibreglass handle is hard to beat for toughness and the ability to take a beating.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Wood for me...... nice and natural... not had any problems with blisters or hand troubles unless I been chipping most of the day...

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
if you want to get a better grip then tennis racket tape will help.

Well the thing is whether too much grip makes too much friction or something, leading to blisters.

There are cheap rubber, expensive rubber like on fibre glass hammers, bound string, smooth wood, carved shaped wood, tennis racket tape, plain fibreglass, and various others, all of which have their place, for various tasks.

Which one is best for high use hard wear work such as chopping all day ?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I would argue too little grip leads to blisters as the shaft will move more against the skin?? Ultimately though its about hard hands not handle or grip choice.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ultimately though its about hard hands not handle or grip choice.

I have to agree there, when I started to carve may hands were agonany, as I carried on too long but just wanted to get the spoon done... now I have no real problem carving most the day...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wood for avoiding blisters.

Your hands *have* to move on the tool handle. Wood offers grip even when smooth, soaks away the sweat.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I would argue too little grip leads to blisters as the shaft will move more against the skin?? Ultimately though its about hard hands not handle or grip choice.

thats a point about the handle. The choice of the cheap'o use and abuse axe may be the problem, oval handle of uniform thickness all the way down, and not particularlythick at that. I have noticed that wood handles are thick and even thicker at the base. Two of the worst blisters are on my little finger and my palm opposite my little finger.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It depends on the tool....

Small hatchets, hand axes etc. are meant to be used in one hand - therefore grip is important for that one area where the hand grips. Rubber can be good, as can bound string, grip-tape etc.

For larger tools, felling axes and mauls etc. the trailing hand grips, while the lead hand is supposed to move as you swing the tool - starting near the head and guiding for accuracy - then moving back towards the trailing hand to add power and reduce wrist shock.

The key to avoiding blisters is to notice when hot-spots begin and stop working for a while - as well as trying different handle materials to see how they suit the way you work.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The most I used a hachet was on a week long course- where it was pressed into service almost constantly day and night for tasks where frankly a bigger tool would have been more suitable- including felling small (dead) trees. Amazingly no blisters, and my hands are not super tough by any standards. The axe in question was an Estwing sportsmans- with a stacked leather handle. Very forgiving (but to my mind the head is a little too light). I would have killed for my Gransfors SFA on that week!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I should think a lot depends on how conditioned your hands are, if you're not used to grafting much in your day to day duties then you're going to get hot spots and blisters, I know I do.

Maybe stick a leather glove on and see if that helps at first, removing ti later as you get used to it. Blisters usually come from friction so check your grip too.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
thanks to all.

My hand hardness waxes and wains, dependant on use, and if I don't use the calluses they peel off ! But a largish tree stump in compacted soil is not an easy job. Shan't be urinating on them, I favour the fire and needle approach.

A glove did cross my mind, as did loosening my grip upon impact, until I imagined a hatchet (and glove) flying through the air together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE