H&B Forge Lady's Hawk and Traditional Bushcraft Breakfast review!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Here is my view of the H&B Forge Lady's Throwing Tomahawk and traditional bushcraft breakfast as seen on the internet. The real focus of review is the Lady's throwing hawk which can also go by another name, mouse hawk. I have never actually done the traditional bushcraft breakfast as seen on the forums. I was always curious and often threatened to partake in the ritual. This seemed like a natural context for the lady's throwing hawk given the requirements of the breakfast. In order to claim this right of passage I must accomplish most of the following.

1. Cut down a tree.

2. Process wood preferable much more than actually required.

3. This processing must include the include batoning wood with a knife.

4. Consume or at the very least cook the sacred bacon. More bacon the better.

5. Stab a group of edge tools in a straight line into a log starting from greatest to least.

6. Toast the woods with a cup of drink.

7. I was later informed that using and or craving a wooden spoon should have been done. Dang!

To be honest this all seemed a bit daunting. I was going to need help! This sounds like a job the the Lady......hawk that it. Here is some information from the maker H&B forge.

http://www.hbforge.com/throwing-tomahawk/ladys-throwing-hawk

Our Lady's Hawk, has long been a popular item among the ladies and the children, as well as an ideal belt axe for the gentleman. It is modeled after our Shawnee but features a proportionally smaller head and handle.

The width of the blade is 3.5 inches wide and it is about 4.75 inches long.

DETAILS:

The head weighs approximately 3/4 lb.
With the 15 inch handle weighing about .25 lb, the total weight of the hawk is about 1.0 lb.
Our small plain or fancy hawk sheath will fit this axe.

Ok enough small talk. Time for the Lady to prove herself. First I decided to get the line of edged tools stuck in a log out of the way. I don't pretend to understand why this is included in the ritual however like the Easter bunny, Rudolf and jack o'lanterns sometimes it's better to just roll with it rather than ask how or why.

This part of the line up shows the size difference between the full sized Shawnee Throwing Hawk and the smaller lady off to the left. She is only 15 oz per my digital scale. Small enough to fit in a daypack or E&E. The lady easily stuck into the log despite having thicker wedge profile than one might expect from so small of a tomahawk.

The line of hawks and knives as required for a traditional bushcraft breakfast is actually harder than it looks. I was afraid of striking one hawk with the other. I was worried about cutting my hand on the other knives and having them fall out on to the rocks below.

Doing this this for the first time felt like that knife game from Aliens. I will never take the line of sharp edge tools stuck in a log from greatest to least for granted again.

[video=youtube;NT0epw9P7-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0epw9P7-o[/video]

The traditional bushcraft breakfast was going to need wood and lots of it. In fact the more the better. The true purest will cut down a tree. Wishing to experience the most as this was my first time looked for the tallest sapling around. This along with some sticks should be enough wood to cook breakfast plus the required over production. Rock hard standing dead wood maple or oak. Somehow I feel it's maple but the lady plays all angles. She is good like that.

Go!

All done. I am not going to lie, a larger axe or hawk would have been easier but IMO this tool isn't made for large scale processing of wood. Everything in life is a compromise. I do think the Lady bites bigger than expected for her size.

Now per the traditional bushcraft breakfast I gotta saw this up. This stuff was stupid rock hard if you know what I mean. A total pain in the backside to work with.

and I was starting to regret it as my breakfast turned into lunch.

Ok enough of that. It was like sawing diamonds. Dang! But experience told me standing rock hard deadwood would also have a great deal of energy.

Now we have to split the wood. I don't need to do it and to be honest this would be the first time batoning without actual need. Don't get me wrong, I am all about splitting wood with a knife but mostly done it for the woodstove when required or to make a fireboard. Then again there might be some wisdom to the traditional bushcraft breakfast. Wood processing in the field is a skill. Skills tend to get better with practice. Still I was getting hungry. First the controversial batoning with a knife as required per the ritual. No the knife didn't break. No I didn't hurt myslef either.

Now it's the Lady's turn to split some wood. She did fine. I think the thicker profile of the head helped. I actually batoned the wood using the hawk rather than swinging. I wasn't paying attention so often sawed the wood at an angle both increasing the distance required to cut through and making them too unstable to stand. That said batoning with a hatchet or hawk is a great way to safely split wood. Just never use a rock or metal hammer as a baton so not to deform the eye of the hawk.

Bushcraft breakfast demands split wood!!!!

I believe the preferred method of staring the fire for a traditional bushcraft breakfast is a firesteel/ferrorod. Traditional flint and steel is also acceptable and so is bowdrill however hand drill is just showing off. A Bic is never acceptable and a match can only be used if you can prove it was a one match fire. Even then you're pushing it. I decided to go the safest most acceptable method which is firesteel/ferrorod. Feathers or shavings for tinder are preferred but risked Birch bark which might be ok.... Just.

Fire took off fast. The ignition etc are in the video. The hydrocarbons in Yellow birch bark are BIG power!

All joking aside nothing burns as well as nicely split wood.

I got plenty of wood. Too much in fact which should comply with the ritual.

Time for the traditional bushcraft breakfast. Eggs, peppers, the sacred bacon and tea. I think tradition calls for the heaviest cast iron fry pan possible but went with SS. I hope that fact it's a mess kit from the late 60's will mitigate this breach of protocol.

Always start with the vegetables first.

Kettle and fry pan on the fire. I was given the advice to "pack a grill" rather than place the the pans etc on rocks on Youtube. Like the craved wooden spoon a metal grill for over the fire appears to be part of the ritual I overlooked. Dang! I have been on the forums for years and still forgot things.

Up next the bacon. More is always better.

Lastly the eggs. Time to eat. Yea the plastic spoon is a no go so will bring a hand carved one next time. Shoot, I got a hand carved spoon made of black walnut purchased on the internet. The next best thing to carving it myslef.

In accordance with the ritual I processed about 500% more wood than was required. I like the U shaped fire right as it allows easier access to the coal bed and tinder bundle during ignition. Also uses less rocks than a full ring because it's not a full ring. Making sure the coals are out before leaving. As is the custom discussions on camp fire management are off limits. Trust me. The woods didn't burn down.

Finally the toast to no one. I am not sure if this is an imaginary toast to the viewer or appreciation for all of creation. I rather like both possibilities. Whatever the case like the line of knives it needed to be done.

Pros and Cons.

Traditional Buschraft Breakfast.

Pros.

1. Fun way to practice stills.

2. The work involved probably consumes all the calories so despite the grease there is a net loss of body weight.

3. Allows a person to escape the family on Sunday

Cons.

1. Frustrating if done hungry.

2. Lots of work.

3. Not for those who don't baton or can't eat pork.

H&B forge Lady's Throwing Tomahawk.

Pros.

1. Was 1 ounce lighter than stated online. 15 oz.

2. Short handle is very packable. It's possible to make a new handle in the field aka friction fit head.

3. She pouches above her weight IMHO.

4. Made in the USA at made in China prices.

5. OMG. It looks cool. Here see for yourself.

Cons.

1. Edge needed some work.

2. Handle is thin so not as comfortable compared to the Shawnee.

3. Not suitable for group wood prep in very cold weather.

4. A person needs to come to terms with the pros and cons of a friction fitting hawk head.

Ok that's about it. Here is a video of thee entire affair.

[video=youtube;TJ0AfU6nFpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0AfU6nFpo[/video]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bavarian

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I enjoyed that , I enjoyed you - You're quite a natural in front of the camera - well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE