Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Here are some British Army frog schemes. The OG are the cheapest and available from the store. Further searching and British DPM I found for £6 inc post, and the MTP £13; the latter is a bit pricy. Getting the plastic inserts in is tight, and may require some colourful verbal encouragement, if not boiling water. Some were easier than others. What customisation you do after is up to you, but I do think some external sheath to the plastic insert is worth having. For the slide clip then 40mm female clips are available and cheap, just need some finding... or not bother and cut the male clip off as most do. There are surplus British belts that take the webbing attachment system too. Lots of possibilities. I do think an extra security system is required be it a safety toggle, or snap strap, over just relying on the insert friction which at best is adequate. Again lots of custom possibilities.
Anyhow for those who like being colour coordinated these are some options:
IMGP7804.jpg

Here is my leather one with toggle safety:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/BLADE/IMGP7631.jpg
IMGP7635.jpg

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Is anyone still planning a group buy for these?
I'm emptying my piggy bank and checking down the back of the sofa...
Too bad Brexit has broken the pound.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well, I have been trying one of these out for a little while now and I have to admit I almost always find myself returning to my Orford Eban Parang. Yes, it is a sturdily made tool and very good value but it is its straightness that doesn't quite work for me; the more ergonomic curves of the parang work much better for me when clearing scrubby stuff and, even when doing closer, more precise work, I find the parang easier and more precise.

I am not trying to put off any potential buyers of this very capable tool at all; I am merely expressing what I have found and what lt prefer as a result. If anyone is interested in taking mine off me for a small sum - not afflicted by the vacillations of the euro - keep an eye on the classifieds: I'll be posting it there, along with a number of other things - soon.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I might have that skrama off you tiley. i'v handled a couple of ben orfords parangs and they are tasty little things. Way too expensive for a parang imo though
I did ask him if he'd sell me one without sheath once (useless in the tropics) but he wouldn't

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Another Skrama owner here.
Ive put mine through its paces a bit since getting one last year. I won't say too much that hasn't been said already, you only have to look at reviews here and on the rest of the web to know its well worth a purchase and it certainly does what it says on the tin, over at varusteleka. It's a brilliant and efficient design. I've seen a lot of people call it ugly but I find it has a strange beauty to it, its the pure no nonsense practicality, no try hard, pretty boy aesthetics or pointless features added. It just works.

Personally i think its the only cutting tool you really need for a spot of camping. Chop poles for your shelter, baton away and shave feathersticks for fire, butcher some meat, fight Isis. It handles it all and handles it well. What dya need a saw n axe for anyway, what on earth are you building in the woods you shady, shady characters? ;)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I might have that skrama off you tiley. i'v handled a couple of ben orfords parangs and they are tasty little things. Way too expensive for a parang imo though
I did ask him if he'd sell me one without sheath once (useless in the tropics) but he wouldn't

I'll pm you when the post goes in to the classified section. In the meantime, thank you for your interest.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I tried commenting on this before but it was never posted...

My new, sensible post.

+1 for the skrama, it's my favourite bit of kit when I'm out 'wild' camping.
Had mine for roughly a year now, its seen some abuse! I wont waste my time bigging it up though, you've only got to find reviews on the web about it ,to see once you own one, you'll never want to not own one and at the price retailed you'd be stupid not to own one. ;)

As it says in the description from the store that sells it, if you're going to take just one knife into the bush, let it be this!

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I like my Ben Orford Eban Parang too. The price difference is pretty massive 6:1, but then they are made in a different way: one in a factory and one by an individual with real personal input to each and every one. They are different, though both give control, accuracy, and carry excellent cutting edges. They also have a similar role, and do it superbly.
They are of different styles though thats true. Technically possibly the Skrama has advantage steel wise. The Moran grind on the Eban is the stronger and when kept sharp is just as keen to catch the cut. It comes down to personal taste and which pair of boots you feel like wearing that day.
I'm happy to have both in my cutting armoury:
IMGP7530.jpg

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
You are right, of course: it is down to personal taste. I liked the Skrama for some jobs, like splitting firewood, but found for more sweeping cuts to clear brambles or nettles, the curve of both the handle and the blade on the Eban work better for me. I took a while to get used to the length of the handle on the Skrama, too. Again, using it for sweeping cuts and holding it at the end part of the handle it felt just a bit clumsy and 'bar like' when compared with the Eban. That said, the more carefully sharpened area nearest the handle on the Skrama was excellent for feathering wood, perhaps slightly better than the Orford number. So it really is a case of swings and roundabouts: the Skrama is superb value by comparison with the Eban but just misses out on that ergonomic element. There is, of course, the parang offered by Ray Mears on the Woodlore website; I wonder what that's like...?

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I have a BIDOR village parang as in the plastic red handled one in one of my pictures. I have the smaller which I think is the better. Great balance and useful in the hand as they are not heavy.
Basically they are fine but the edges do chip out on anything tough. They are made to a price though some are ponced up with better fittings. To keep a fine cutting edge then continual maintenance is advisable and easy enough. Don't do it and you will have a jagged rough edge in no time. Ben's offering and the Skrama are far far superior; BIDOR should be $20 if that.

The Eban is lighter than the Skrama. Neither will chop out chips of wood like an axe does, so its "the green stuff" or thin material. I don't baton much, well not huge piles; just enough to get a fire going and then throw on the logs whole. I prefer to spend the time getting enough fuel so I don't run out half way through the night; takes twice as much as you think. (When you have what you think is a good pile of fuel, you have half what you need.)

You are right the Skrama has a more bar like feel. Its a compromise to get that neatral centre balance that I like. The handle is fatter and more workmanlike too. Different styles; I get on with both. My other big choppers are all heavier and way front heavy which means they give a more powerful chop. They are more committed once sent which means they take more stopping too. So for control I prefer the lighter weight tools, and more control.

They are all good tools, just adapt to their strengths and try not to always drive them to their limits; take your time.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well, I've put my Skrama - and a whole load of other stuff - up for grabs in the Members Classifieds, if anyone's interested...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE