Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
"I have a Skrama", was the write up I did for another forum. I thought it must have been well documented here are its pretty great, but after a search I couldn't find much. So here is a bit of a rehash of what I wrote:

Skrama:
Its not often when someone comes up with a design that is unusual, though something that we have been asking for for yonks but didn't quite know what we wanted. Well in the Skrama they have made something that answers a whole lot of wants and all in one package. Its a camp chopper, small hatchet, billhook, snedding parang and hardwood machete all in one.
We all know the Martindale Gollock and many of us bludgeoned our way through a forest or two with one. Sadly, they have some real limitations and for me they really don't hold a good edge, if at all, and any edge doesn't last long. Well the Skrama takes a nod to the gollock but is a better animal and another class up in design, materials and utility.
Here it is:
IMGP7446.jpg

The reason the Skrama is so clever is that it has a hand and a half if not two, read very long handle, that gives various grip positions. Most choppers are forward biased being blade heavy. The Skrama can be choked up and feel neutral. As it not unduly heavy it can do the finer tasks like feather sticks will ample control. In fact it has two grinds with one short finer section towards the grip for just such use; a very nice detail. Can't think of anything that does this as well other than a parang and then thats because parangs can be held to give a neutral balance by the central shaft. The Skrama's grip is excellent wherever you hold it and when held towards the rear end gives the velocity for deep chopping.
All very clever and really works well. Basically its a tool that would compliment an axe as easily as compliment a small knife. Made by Fins, who know a thing or two about forests and wood, its businesslike qualities are obvious.

First off the steel:
Its 80CrV2, 59 HRC. Its a tough steel and great choice for this kind of thing. I haven't put it in a vice and tried with a scaffolding pole extension to bend or break it. Can't see the point of that and sure this thickness will be well tricky to be forced to fail. I haven't tried cutting breeze blocks with it either. If you must then, then the edge, done so keen, might may well take some damage; (but then just use the spine and break them that way). For the work its expected to be use for the steel and hardness are an excellent choice and well up to the task. Importantly the Skrama is man enough for European woodland use, which most machetes aren't. Its on the keen grind side so is a cutter rather than an axe chipper. Far superior to what I would expect at this price point.

Weight:
The Skrama comes in at under 1.2 lbs. A GB Small Forest Axe are 2lbs; GB Wildlife Axe 1.3lbs; Martidale Golock 1.25lbs; ESEE Junglas 1.4lbs. So its really not bad to carry being on the lighter side of "choppers". That weight makes it very controllable especially in the choked up grip which gives it such versatility.

Finish:
One of the things that makes this tool so attractive is it is "fugly". It is all functional and practical, with a business like finish that is well executed. Who wants to have money spent on something that is going to have to take a real beating and going to be covered in tree resin and muck? Its foremost a work tool and its ready for work from the start. No alterations, sanding, customising, finishing, or messing about required. I'm delighted the money has gone into the steel, quality of handle material, and not spent on anything not needed. Its kept the ticket price at a reachable level too.

Sheath:
The Skrama is offered with three options: a very basic plastic sheath (that fits the British Army Frog), a leather, and a Molle compatible cover to the base basic. The leather and Molle add to the costs.
IMGP7336.jpg

Cost:
Well mine came in at under £60 base model with the Bushcraftuk discount from the only place you can get them:
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-skrama-bush-knife-carbon-steel/28025

Safety:
This blade may well be more controllable than some, but then you wouldn't want to get it wrong. Its a powerful tool and not going to take prisoners. It comes scary sharp and best kept that way, but it does have some weight so comes with some danger as is. This kind of weight, once it has some momentum, will take some stopping. Just don't put anything in its way you don't want cut deeply, because deeply it will go.
Same goes for many tools, but this one I think has more bite than most. Respect it.

Summary:
What it is for:
Its for all those smaller chopping tasks. It sneds and chops all the poles that a temporary camp construction could need. It can de-limb the poles, clear off small branches, and clear an area of all the annoying small stuff. Its keen bevel cuts deep into soft material and the three grips gives those cuts real control, far more than any kukri or machete. I found I naturally took up the correct grip that best suited the power and control I wanted for any given chop. I can't praise enough the neutral balance which gives smaller jobs the necessary dexterity that so many other blades just don't. At 1.2 lbs it can be driven without the usual total commitment that other heavier weight forward tools demand. Its also long enough to give it some reach and the real velocity with a rear grip that machete users so like. Clearing stuff was easy. What I like most is I wasn't forever trying to check the chop as I so often have to do with weight forward designs. It kind of chose the right power to get the job done without flying away once through.
I did sliced through most of the green stuff I tackled and on thicker stock it didn't jam much at all. I got no annoying vibration when it stopped dead, which for many thinner blades is just horrid (Cold Steel machete and such).
I gave it to my son, who knows enough about using blades. Immediately he said "its fugly". He also noted the neutral balance and was an immediate fan.
Its OK at battoning medium to small stuff, as good as any big knife.
It excelled at sharpening stakes and sticks. Its a big blade that behaves and being on the keen sharp side the control is very reassuring.

What its not: its not an axe. It cuts but does not have the grind to chip out wood chunks like an axe head does. My son agreed it was enough for poles but not for big heavy construction logs. Build yourself a camp but not a log cabin. If you want to fell a large tree use an axe, or saw. Its not a splitting maul either. Try and tackle something too hard and thick and its limitations are very apparent. On anything that it can slice through then its great.

I've yet to hit a rock with it so haven't put any noticeable damage on the edge. I haven't had to sharpen or touch it up yet either. Its very early days, but I'm a fan already.

It would certainly compliment an axe, as it does a whole lot of things better than any axe. For traveling light it would do enough so that you could leave the axe behind and halve the carry weight. (Both axe and Skrama are better when complimented with a saw). I think a Skrama would do well in the jungle too; just that I don't have one on my doorstep to prove so.
Lastly, there is a more stainless version which for boating, and tools left in the wet as on a daily use quod bike, might well be the better option. I doubt anyone would really know the performance difference to worry much.
IMGP7461.jpg

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice one mate, you know I'm a great Skrama fan. Think I may end up with their puukko soon too. Varusteleka is a member here. I think he's been told about the BB interest in his knives and site. But he doesn't seem to get in here much and hasn't joined BB.

As in, nudge nudge Mr V :)

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have the 140mm blade puukko, and so far it has proven to be practical, tough and useable. Very sharp on delivery, with a very square spine that strikes ferro rods nicely. At the price point (48 quid minus 10% introductory forum discount from Valtteri) it is pretty difficult to beat IMO.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ayup muskett

i have looked at these a few times, theres just something about the utilitarian looks of it and the puukko that appeal

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ayup muskett

i have looked at these a few times, theres just something about the utilitarian looks of it and the puukko that appeal

Exactly SD, the Skrama has been extremely well thought out, then produced simply, without too many taking a bite of the apple. I've yet to handle the puukko, but I have absolutely no doubt it will perform very well. Both of these knives look dead cool, and I know the Skrama feels and works cool too.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Ayup Sunndog, as you know I like my big boys toys. As you know I have a few too many classic knives, bushwhackers, and a bit of NV kit too ;)
Anyhow, the Skrama has impresses me so much I thought it needed some publicity, well let people know about its existence. I do enough in the woods and use cutting tools a plenty, and this Skrama does fit a niche that for its price is a bit of a no brainer; if you fancy one then get one, even though you might "have enough tools". Thats how much I rate it. In fact I've just ordered two more, as my first is on its way to Scotland with a friend, and my son wants one. Not much gets me that impressed but when something is genuinely good then I'm more than happy to plug it.

The Puukko, either one, would be pretty useful too, but I have a few too many other blades to cover that area. A set, the puukko and Skrama, would cover most woodland chores, and certainly for the combined price be an excellent buy. Add a Silky saw and then there wouldn't be much that couldn't be tackled without needing to break out the heavy duty equipment, chainsaw.

I called the Skrama fugly, but I really think it has its own character and love it as it is. Oh dear I think mine might get a name... now that is sad... very. Oh its got one: "Skrama".

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well I've hyped it enough. Tell us what you think.

Already did you hyped up Skrama nutter, you've not been quiet since. :lmao:

Nice review though, way better than anything I've done. A few years ago I spent the Autumn/Winter season cutting 3yr old Chestnut coppice for walking sticks. The area I live in supplies the NHS with the bulk of their wooden canes. I worked with a couple of good old boys, at it for years with traditional billhooks and a coarse stone to scrub at the blade on breaks. Tool I took was a Fiskars version, I'd touched up the convex edge. They had a bit of a laugh at it for the first few days, then had a try, then went and bought themselves one each.

I'm very tempted to introduce them to the Skrama ;)

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
My repeat order took four days including the weekend; nice and fast. I ordered one base model and one deluxe, well with leather sheath for my son.
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz128/Muskett_2009/BLADE/IMGP7497.jpg
IMGP7491.jpg

The leather version is a leather cover for the plastic sheath, with dangler. As a carry system goes its excellent. The leather is vegetable dyed and nicely done. Both the leather and rivet fittings are mid quality wise though plenty adequate and will do absolutely fine. Looks well smart and no reason it won't last years and years; depends how you look after it.
For those who have the skill, or leather worker contact, then there is room for a custom quality to up the game further. The leather sheath option does add to the ticket price by quite a bit. However, I'm a fan of the plastic insert system for what is after all to carry a work tool and non stainless blade. This kind of tool is going to get mucky.
The British Army Scabbard is plenty good enough too.
IMGP7512.jpg

Well I'm Skrama'ed to the teeth now so can give my card a rest. Happy days.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have you tried the stainless model yet.
Had my Carbon Skrama a while now and love it to bits.
I spend a good while on the coast and carbon takes a beating in that environment.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
No, but I have smothered them in some candle wax. Frankly anything will do, just give them a wipe with an oily rag when doing the edges.
I haven't yet smashed one into a rock yet. Be interesting how much damage they take and how much time sharpening a "biggy" out will take. Not in a rush to find out, but s it happens.

I just love the balance and whack options, with something sharp. Time will tell.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I blame Johnboy as soon as I saw his I went and bought two with their 110 Pukko. They are both great blades and make a perfect set. I have had mine since before Christmas and use them a lot. I will add to your excellent review later once I have fully put it through it's paces and once I am fully happy but no porblems so far and it is getting more use than my F1 pro and a lot of my other knives. The reason I bought two is one as my main user and for my sole use and the other for a pass around at meets for others to try out. I know there was a pass around that used to happen here on the site and I would like other opinions on it. I know that a certain Johnathan D has done many a great review of knives and certainly put them through the wringer.

The thing I really like about the knife is it's versatility it is a cross between a leuku and a machete but takes the best of both with a longer handle which makes it more versatile and is light enough to wear on the hip for a big knife that is very unusual. The knife is extremely well balanced. Every task I have set it to is has performed excellently from chopping, batonning ( I know some do not like the technique but if it works I'll use it) and also a use a draw knife. It is very comfortable in the hand and as soon as I first held it I knew it would be good and it has not disappointed me. I have done some side by side testing compared to an axe and hachet and trail hawk and is has out performed the hawk in every test and been on a comparision to the hachet and axes I have put it up against which has included my Swedish army axes and GB ones. I do really like the two different grinds on the blade, but they are slight different between my two knives one being easier to define than the other. ON my pass around blade I have still yet to sharpen it and trying to hold off as long as necessary but it is still holding up well.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If anyone is interested I did make an inquiry into the possibility of a Discount GB for these.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The only thing that would be more typical is if i bought one off johnnyboy

Ere john, i think it is actually my turn to buy something off you :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE