Has Anyone found "THE" Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"The" Knife?

I have one of these...

DSC_0090.jpg

But it has become a bit of drawer queen of late. :eek:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I don't know if there is THE knife, but out of all the different knifes I've tried I keep coming back to my Enzo Trapper in O1.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Sandbender, nice knife, who makes it? ;)

Being the RM nerd I am, I noticed that in his Extreme Survival series, he uses a woodlore that is quite worn down, compared to the shiny looking one in the bushcraft series.
Anyone know how many woodlores Ray has gone through?

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Sandbender, nice knife, who makes it? ;)

Being the RM nerd I am, I noticed that in his Extreme Survival series, he uses a woodlore that is quite worn down, compared to the shiny looking one in the bushcraft series.
Anyone know how many woodlores Ray has gone through?

Hes on his 4th as far as i am aware :)
he uses a antler handled version with brick red liners as opposed to the standard woody.

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
I've found my perfect slipjoint SAK: a huntsman I've had since I was 8.

The perfect locking SAK, a tradesman.

The perfect single blade locker, a Byrd Raven plain edge.

All with convex edges, I'm waiting on a potential perfect fixed knife, it's a custom, should be with me in a month or two.

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
got a new one now and it certainlt feels like the one for me , its a warrensmith knife i got off bb , 01 carbon steel with hand made hessan micarta scales

IMG20101206_002.jpg

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Good thread :)

My missus and I were discussing this only the other day - how I've bought and sold a large number of fixed blade knives over the years, and always been hankering after something different. I've had the same fixed blade for about 2 or 3 years now, and have no intention of changing it. It's a Fallkniven F1 - not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it and it seems to suit me quite well.

I'm aware that it has its limitations - on the one hand it doesn't slice and do delicate carving as well as a thinner scandi grind like a Mora, neither does it chop and hack as well as a longer, heavier blade. I do find, however, that FOR ME, the F1 is a really good compromise between all the possible needs I have from a fixed blade knife. It can be pushed to cut delicate fuzz sticks with a little patience, and will batten split 4 or 5 inch logs too. Can't ask for much more.

I think I've found a tool I'm really happy with and I'm sticking with it.

Dom.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have been thinking about this question for 20 years.
I wish I could be the guy who designs and makes it! Wishfull thinking me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Yes, almost any time I buy a fixed blade, for about a couple of weeks or so :) Then I start looking for the next one...
But that's not a matter of searching for the perfect blade, I think, it's more that I like knives..
At the end of the story the knife I use the most is a Mora Clipper..

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Quick answer, No.

A knife is a tool as such there is no one tool that will do every job e.g I have a 13mm combination spanner that works very well in many situations, however I also have a drawer full of 13mm spanners, sockets, crowfoot wrenches and box spanners, all of which get used for different jobs as and when required. I will no doubt need to make /modify spanners for different jobs in the future, I do have favourites, which just feel better to use, but they will not ever be the only one I'll ever need.

ATEOTD the right tool for the job is the right tool for the job.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I think I might have found the one for me at long last, I've know got what I think is the perfect collection of users for me :)

Here's a pic of them, "the" knife is the third one down.

Top to bottom..

Modded MOD knife with Blackwood handle
Lance Ockenden Bushcrafter with Desert Ironwood
Lance Ockenden Rose Damasteel carver with Cocobolo
Fallkniven TK4 modded for legal carry
Michael Morris friction folder

P1010889.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE