Handpresso experience anyone?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm hunting around for a new out and about coffee machine. The Aeropress gets great reviews and is clearly rugged and simple, but I do love a decent crema on an expresso, so the Handpresso looks interesting. My concern is that the Handpresso could also be rather bulky and a bit fragile for woodland use - has anyone (Lurch?) had a play?

Btw, my normal bushcraft coffee set is a lovely little pot I picked up for a few quid at the last Moot, but I'm cycling from John O'Groats to Lands End this summer and want a single 'luxury' item. I figure a decent morning coffee might be it...

TIA,

Tobes

Last edited:

graiman

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2009
caithness, scotland
haha you'll probably be passing through my town on your way im about 20-30 miles from john o' groats xD .
on the coffee front i have never used any coffee machine when out an about
they cost a fair bit! is it worth it?

I have one of these...
gsi-outdoors-1-cup-mini-espresso-maker.jpg

http://www.outdoorreview.com/mfr/gsi/cook-sets/PRD_98908_3011crx.aspx

TBH though don't take it out that often, even though it's quite compact.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Nice little gizmo but it won't work with the JetBoil I'm going to use for hot water (OK, it's not bushcraft, but neither is cycling...)

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Hi Tobes, never done the end to end but fancy having a go sometime, going cycle touring myself soon. Anyway what about this looks stronger than the aeropress and the handpresso and the handpresso seems a bit pricey for what it is. (IMHO) and the price is not to bad at £23.95. http://www.greystonescoffeepots.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_004
not used one but looks like a good system plus no need to carry a mug. Think i'm in the market for one myself now :lmao: they look so good
How long are you planning for the trip?

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Tobes can you not use the coffee press accessorie for your Jetboil?
Wont do Espresso but just boil less water...

J

Already got it :) (so same job as the Greystones) but fancy something a bit special to keep me going. The ride is 9 days, 1,000 miles, kit is transported for us so weight isn't a massive problem (except for the couple of stones of lard hanging around my waist). Camping as we go. This is my first 'silly' ride - I've done London to Paris 3 times now, but that's just a drinking trip with some cycling to burn off the hangovers...

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all iwas in go adventure today and baught an alladdin coffee press £16.99 just what i was looking for to give me that early morning start also got a bargain from sports direct karrimor socks 40ltr dry bag and a karrimor make thermorest all for under £20 not a bad days foraging
regards dave.

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hi, i bought a domepod handpresso off of lurch, this one in fact : http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52196.

I like it, i will give you a brief description of it, think of a mountain bike hand pump (slightly wider though), casing made of metal not plastic, with a mini water bowl on the end and a espresso filter attachment which locks on the base of the water bowl and holds the pod inside. The one i have is the type that uses refillable not disbosable pods. The major draw back is they are rather small, it takes two to make a decent sized espresso.

The unit itself weighs a little under 500g so is not light weight, i find it slips in my rucksack easily. It is very "robust". You could use it as a hammer ( not advising it though) and i think in reality you could use use it as a pretty substantial weapon!

I have had to hand carve a special tampa for it though and have found that by using a specific espresso grind along with the compression of the custom tampa i get an acceptable crema on my coffee.

Now lets get one thing straight, i am a fully fledged coffee addict, after a recent trip to scotland i toured the talisker distillery on my way back down south and purchased a few quality bottles of whisky. Usually a night by the campfire with a not so wee dram would have been my first priority, but something disturbing happened. I found myself turning it down and driving all the way back down to glasgow just for a motorway service station double espresso. So disgusted was i at such antisocial behavior that i vowed never again to be without a way of having just a wee shot of the devils cup when out and about!

So i am somewhat biased, i like it, i need more pods though so they can be loaded and ready to go. Being able to sit down in the great out doors miles from civilisation and have a shot of rreasonable esspresso is......... well i am lost for words, lets just say i feel very roman! :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi, i bought a domepod handpresso off of lurch, this one in fact : http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52196.

I like it, i will give you a brief description of it, think of a mountain bike hand pump (slightly wider though), casing made of metal not plastic, with a mini water bowl on the end and a espresso filter attachment which locks on the base of the water bowl and holds the pod inside. The one i have is the type that uses refillable not disbosable pods. The major draw back is they are rather small, it takes two to make a decent sized espresso.

The unit itself weighs a little under 500g so is not light weight, i find it slips in my rucksack easily. It is very "robust". You could use it as a hammer ( not advising it though) and i think in reality you could use use it as a pretty substantial weapon!

I have had to hand carve a special tampa for it though and have found that by using a specific espresso grind along with the compression of the custom tampa i get an acceptable crema on my coffee.

Now lets get one thing straight, i am a fully fledged coffee addict, after a recent trip to scotland i toured the talisker distillery on my way back down south and purchased a few quality bottles of whisky. Usually a night by the campfire with a not so wee dram would have been my first priority, but something disturbing happened. I found myself turning it down and driving all the way back down to glasgow just for a motorway service station double espresso. So disgusted was i at such antisocial behavior that i vowed never again to be without a way of having just a wee shot of the devils cup when out and about!

So i am somewhat biased, i like it, i need more pods though so they can be loaded and ready to go. Being able to sit down in the great out doors miles from civilisation and have a shot of rreasonable esspresso is......... well i am lost for words, lets just say i feel very roman! :D

Not being a tea drinker;), a good coffee in the woods is worth the extra effort. Never gone as afar as expresso in the woods but a fresh quality coffee at the least. :eek:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I can't imagine Teddy settling for anything less. What's that burner under the coffee pot?

Greeneggcat, I just missed getting in there for that Handpresso, well done. Glad to hear you like it, I think I'm going to take the plunge. However, having read the reviews I'll be going with the ESE pod version. I figure that I'm already carrying something very un-bushcraft, and this won't be in my 'ultralite' kit, so no harm in a handful of pods as well :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got an ESE pod one. The pods I've got aren't great, TBH, but it's less messy than the Aeropress. A colleague of mine calls it my "coffee gun" and you can get some odd looks from the pumping action. That said, the Aeropress looks like a certain Swedish product favoured by Austin Powers...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE