Does anyone have the Highlander Forces 55L rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

Had a quick look for previous reviews/threads, but couldn't find anything. Please feel free to link me to any previous threads if you know of any.

Looking to get a Highlander Forces 55L rucksack and just wondered if anyone had any opinions, reviews etc. It will mainly be used for backpacking. The last time i went away i used a 70l Berghaus, and although the bag looks almost new after 3 years of constant abuse, it was a pretty bad purchase. 1 - It was too big, and of course i filled it to the brim ;o) 2 - No matter how carefully i packed everything, when i picked it, it all slumped into one end (despite being rammed full....go figure?!) 3 - It wasnt that comfortable when....you know....on my shoulders!

So i'm looking for something just as rugged, smaller, has an internal divider, and comfortable with 15ish KG in it. Oh and thats me travelling light. I know i know.

Love to hear if anyone has any thoughts.

Cheers

Ben

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Ben, not got the 55, but have the 44, holds a good amount, and seems well made. Having said this, i only used a couple of times, then got a traditional canvas pack, but as my son is hoping to go in the army soon, it may come in useful for him.

Rob

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I have the forces 55 and found it very good. Used it on a canoe and hiking trip in Sweden and it stored all my kit and is pretty rugged.
However it is really a bit large for me I'm 5feet 3 and so if you are interested pm me. My wife has the smaller version and I find this very comfortable although holds far less kit, which means I end up carrying more which is probably her reasoning behind it.
Riven.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I have the 55 and if you look on Ebay there is a seller called pr3pr3 (I think - search here for my thread "The only place to get Highlander gear"), cheapest I found though maybe Riven can cut you a deal.
I haven't walked far with it but it seems okay. I find the pockets difficult to access though and the zips a bit difficult to open with the flaps over them but maybe that is no different with any other rucksack.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I have the 66 and the 44 and Calibanzwei has the 55, we're both 6'2" tall and these packs fit perfectly, the adjustable back is good on the 55 and 66 and over distance they're very comfy to carry with no shoulder fatigue issues.
the rain cover is essential however as the packs do not shed water in heavy rain, they are coated and lined but in driving rain they can and will take on some water.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think i'm gonna give it a go - its not a particularly expensive piece of kit, so no big disaster if it turns out i dont get on with it. Gonna get it soon so i can test it before the travels. The last one, was bought, loaded and on the plane within a day. You have to make these mistakes once i suppose!

Riven - I'm gonna pm you if i can work out how to...

Thanks

Ben

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Just bought the 55 myself. I had an NI patrol pack which was 38 litres and sat too high on my back, and didn't carry all I wanted to stuff in it.

So far, I'm very pleased with it. What I've cut down to essential fits, with a little room to spare. For 45 squid it wasn't too much of a risk. Modding some water bottle pouches is the next thing. But all in all, well worth it imo. I very much like the draw string compartment seperation, it gives me stuff pack compression on my bag and underquilt in a bin liner.

Last edited:

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
There's some 'wild stitching' going on on mine, nothithg a lighter can't fix. Has anybody any stitching horror stories with their's? Any suggestions of what may need reinforcing?

As for comfort, it fits my back well (6'). I've not noticed much wobble. I'll be giving it a few miles one night this week.

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
Bought a Highlander 44 earlier this year to replace a 22 year old berghaus, its really good both in filling and using. I'm 6 foot with a dodgy back and find comfortable, a worthy replacement for the old Berghaus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE