Handforged cloak ring brooch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Heres one of my brooches that i make.Based on an ancient design that goes back to at least roman times..
I make these from 2mm wire.For the ring part i tie a bundle of four wires together and fireweld the ends,i repeat this on the other end of wires and then twist.
The pin is made from three wires firewelded and twisted.
When i first tried this i failed because my anvil was too far away from my forge(..and its onlly a step away!)the metal cooled too much and the weld failed.So now i have a very small anvil actually in my forge right next to the fire.No more failed welds.Enough now!Pictures...

PICT2558.jpg

PICT2559.jpg

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I like that launditch! Were the period artefacts forge from the same size of wire? If so that indicates a lot of labour to draw the stock down to wire (IIRC iron wire pulling is undocumented in Roman period).

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Im not absolutly sure these things were made from iron...Certainly iron brooches existed.Ive seen viking bracelets and brooches made from twisted silver wire.
Its just something i made one day to practise firewelding..
I know for sure that wire drawing is a very old process and i think it must have been known to the romans.This style of brooch was popular in the Roman and saxon periods(broadly speaking..)

I wouldnt lke to try drawing a bar out to 2mm!!

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
The Late Bronze Age-Early Iron Age transition (800-650BC) sees iron regularly being used for cloak pins and brooches because of its novelty.

I suspect they prevented them from rusting by coating them in beeswax and burnishing

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
I dont understand what exactly its for. If I understand correctly it would be used at the neck of a cloak to keep it closed, is that correct?

pardon my idiocy :) Im just 14!

-CS

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Also... I really like it. im going to lear how to backsmith this summer, so hopefully i will be able to make these sooner or later :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've seen penanular brooches made from twisted silver, gold or copper alloy (bronze) but never iron wire. Like Matt says, wire drawing is a lot of labour but it was certainly being done by the roman period (even in iron).

I tend to stick to a solid bar for my brooches, it's a lot easier :D Mind you I may give that a go just for a giggle at a show ;)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice. I've not had any success with forge welding yet. I haven't given it a go for a while mind you...

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Just keep at it and you will get it.

Took me many attempts to get a good weld.Ive had more success since i started using a flux (borax)

Thanks for kind words!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I get bored with authenticity to be honest its the refuge of the highly nerdy!

I say this as a a guy who worked in antiques professionally. I have picked up some fantastic pieces of furniture for a song because they are either "marriages" (cut and shut) or "not in original condition" (show me an original condition refectory table and I'll show you a fake). I can also tell the difference between first and second edition Hogarth engravings - really - who cares?

Its a great piece in a traditional pattern. Neither the materials nor the specific fabrication are original - I like it all the more for that (not being a "period nazi").

Great work - make me one next time?

Red

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Thanks!Yeah ok no problem...

I didnt make this as an exact historic replica.Just copied the design in my own way.Using modern materials but ancient tecniques.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE