The making of "The Whitby Brooch"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Stunning work Wayland, show's you're worthy of your namesakes moniker. As others have said your reworking works better (well to these modern eyes anyway.)
Your camp looks wonderful as ever. Folk often say that those times were grey and dull, but the tones and honey'd hues in your set up appeal to my eyes. (But then you're also an accomplished photographer.)
I was expecting something made out of jet when I read the title but was pleasantly surprised to see my favourite metal being worked.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's really good. Have you inscribed the back?
I can easily imagine that the original was a bit wonky because the craftsman was a bit long-sighted himself.
Z

I've done a simple chiselled runic inscription on the pin plate. I had to reconstruct that using evidence from other pieces because as you can see it was partially missing on the original.

It simply says that I made and keep it. The original "runes" were fake by the way. Cut by someone perhaps trying to imitate runes he had seen but did not understand.

I'm considering engraving a fuller inscription round the edge but that would be new territory for me, not done much engraving and it's a very different skill.

The original inscription is intriguing. It's usually interpreted as 'Ædwen owns me, may the Lord own her. May the Lord curse him who takes me from her, unless she gives me of her own free will'.

To me, it looks as if it's in another hand, rather more precise.

Normally we don't know much about who owned these things so that's interesting in itself but the curse has always made me ponder as it was found in a hoard, buried by someone that did not return to collect it.

Given that the pin plate was damaged, perhaps by being forcibly removed from the cloth it was attached to. I can't help wondering what happened to the person that took it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Stunning work Wayland, show's you're worthy of your namesakes moniker. As others have said your reworking works better (well to these modern eyes anyway.)
Your camp looks wonderful as ever. Folk often say that those times were grey and dull, but the tones and honey'd hues in your set up appeal to my eyes. (But then you're also an accomplished photographer.)
I was expecting something made out of jet when I read the title but was pleasantly surprised to see my favourite metal being worked.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

It was doing this sort of work that earned me the name "Wayland" in the first place. That and the fact that my surname coincidentally matches the myth as well. (Wayland the Smith was the son of a giant called Wade.)

The Vikings and Saxons loved decoration so I see no reason they would have shunned colour which they had many ways of creating.

We call the "everything was brown" misconception the "Jabberwocky Effect" after Terry Gilliam's film where everything seems to be covered in mud.

Funnily enough I did get a couple of pieces of jet to have a play with. You might see more of that later but don't hold your breath.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have a challenging expression here: "If you can talk the talk, can you walk the walk?" ( = Enough noise. Can you do it?)
It is wonderful to see that there are modern people with the skills and experience to do this kind of smithing. It's all there for me.

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Regretably spectacles such as those are historically a little too late for the Viking period.

I do sometime resort to a magnifying glass though which has some provenance.

Magnifying-glass.jpg

Although the lenses that have been found were made of rock crystal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE