Hand Knitted Beach Combed Shell Bracelet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hello all this is my first attempt at this and I'm rather pleased with the way it's turned out. I've been collecting these shells on our local beaches for years always meaning to turn them into something.

Now I just have to figure a way of fastening it onto my wrist :)

Thanks for looking

IMG_4989_zpsc0f3b368.jpg

IMG_4992_zpsfa57223d.jpg

IMG_4996_zps36c093bf.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's really lovely :D
You could use a wee bit of velcro? or weave in some knitting elastic over the last few rows at both ends and pull them together with it ?

I've a huge jar load of wee shells and though they're very pretty and interesting all I ever did was stitch some of my hand spun and dyed nettle yarn into a seaweedy necklace with some of the little cowries. You're being much more creative :D

atb,
M

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thanks both :eek:

It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I knitted it on small 13 knitting needles using a pearl darning thread.

IMG_4997_zps53041661.jpg

I've got loads more shells left and I am actually wondering if there would be a market for this type of bracelet...

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Oh, I used it have a bracelet like this when I was younger I loved it as it reminded me of the sea! It's is so beautiful. Thanks for posting, I think you would be able to sell a few of these for sure :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's very nice indeed; and I bet it sounds good when you move your wrist, too..................Cool!................................atb mac

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hi I really enjoyed knitting the shell bracelet and this is now the 3rd one I've done. I forgot to photograph the 2nd and I was more than happy to gift it onto someone who wanted it :eek:

So I'm going to update my own thread as a record of my progress if that's ok.

This time I reduced the width and knitted it on shearing elastic and all the way around. 135 shells went into this one :)

IMG_5013_zpse5713c03.jpg

IMG_5012_zps4c3bce15.jpg

I think the tension is a bit tight and I could have knitted it looser. I think the shells look too bunched up for me anyway.

I'm experimenting with collecting tiny shells and drilling holes in them so than I can thread them as well.

Another plus to these is that it's a great excuse for a couple of hours on the beach :) in fact we went this afternoon and reckon we collected at least another couple of bracelets worth... lol... and I had the perfect accessory to collect them in, thank you Hamish :)

Another plus is that it takes me approx 3-4hrs to do each one.

For my own unique 'bit' to each bracelet I knit at least one tiny 'hag stone' (tiny pebble with a naturally made hole in it, found on the beach) into each one.

Number four is already being planned :):):)

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
These bracelets are the most beautiful pieces of jewellery I have seen ever. I was wearing mine to a jewellery 'sale' at somebody's house the other day, and out of all the expensive and sparkly pieces, everyone commented on my gorgeous handmade seashell bracelet. It outshone every other piece there.

Such a good excuse to spend some time on the beach picking up shells :)

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
Very nice bracelets there Earthgirl. I have always known hag stones as Witch's Stones so interesting to hear them called by another name. I have a few from various trips round the country.. never really known what to do with them so tend to give them away to folks who want them. Always thought they have a good look about them.
Good luck with selling your bracelets :cool:

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Wow!!! thanks Tawnyhare :eek:

and Mack13 I've also heard them called Witch's Stones, I was also told that if you look through the hole you'll see the 'fairee' realm, I'm still waiting patiently :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The bracelets are really nice Earthgirl, I like naturally inspired pieces like these. Though not a Christian I always liked the scallop shell necklace. "For centuries, the scallop shell, which is typically found on the sea coast in Galicia, northern Spain, has been the symbol of the Camino de Santiago, and its pilgrims - los peregrinos. Pilgrims returned to their countries of origin wearing the scallop concha shell over their habit or hat, to demonstrate that they had reached Santiago and its famous gothic cathedral." They also used them as drinking cups at the various shrines and wells along the way.

On the Hag/Witches stone they can be symbols of good or bad depending on who you speak too. I have my fathers flint one, that he wore for years, hanging up in the house. I cant wear it as I feel unwell when I do.

Have a heap of mini and interesting shells from all the hours I spend with my head in rock pools (great window to yet another world) and keep them dotted about the house, the forms of the stones, shells and coral are just great.

Keep up the good work and I hope the sales go well.

ATB,
GB.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hi Goatboy, thanks :) I'm with you on the naturally inspired pieces... the harder I try the less I like the piece...

I'm loving the (great window to yet another world) comment :D

Last edited:

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
So I've been playing with Bracelet No 4 & 5 this weekend.

Bracelet 4 was a different knitting stitch and a different colour thread.

IMG_5021_zpsca1b8084.jpg

IMG_5027_zpsef9cb135.jpg

This is my favourite way of knitting them so far

And just because I could... lol... Bracelet 5, I tried to knit a pattern into using quite a lot of shells that needed to be pre-drilled...
You can see too much of the elastic for my liking...

IMG_5033_2_zps53f77324.jpg

I have to say having knitted 2 bracelets in shearing elastic I'm not impressed so far, it's hard to knit with a decent tension and is uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I'm currently trying to source a decent thread to knit them with and a nice fastening for the bracelet... :)

Work in progress :)

Last edited:

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thanks Tawnyhare :)

It's been a fun learning process, my favourite knitting thread is actually the first one I used and your bracelet has it on it :) It came as part of a sewing set that I bought in Lidls and came in 5 colours, hence the blue knitted bracelet because I'd run out of the pearl colour... lol... I'm still trying to find something similar.

I'm looking at different fixings and have ordered a couple to try out. Did you leave the fixing I'd started on your bracelet or did you change it, just really interested in how you solved the problem :)

The Garter stitch I used in the blue knitted one is the favourite, it stays slightly flatter than the stocking stitch, although the garter stitch is slightly harder to knit with the shells.

The width of your's and the blue knitted one is also the favourite at the moment, although I've also ordered some invisible slightly stretchy 'stuff' to play with on narrower bracelets. :)

To be honest, I don't know if this will go anywhere at all... lol... I've been looking to get my 'teeth' into something so to speak for ages. This year has been a good year for me, you know all those things that you say to yourself "One day I'll have a go at that!!!" well this year I've done loads of them and really enjoyed them :)

I like the fact that all the shells are hand picked and therefore each bracelet is unique and I'm very blessed to live where I live :) as different beaches are good for different types of shells.

My favourite way to thread them is to count out the number of shells I need and put them all into a bowl and grab random handfuls to thread them, I always like the pattern :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE