Hammocks in the winter without under blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I'm off teaching at a scout camp this weekend in the new forest and wandering would I still be warm enough in a DD hammock and army sleeping bag without a under blanket or should I stick with a tent and roll mat?

Also regarding hammocks what is the best way to pitch the tarp over it since some seem to do a diamond shape and other just the normal ridgeline?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
whatever you fancy try both i prefer standard A shape with one side open regards dave

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
You need some insulation that isnt the sleeping bag under you. This is because the insulation in the sleeping bag gets compressed. You will need an under blanket or a mat In your hammock but most likely an underblanket as the temperatures are getting colder. Stick with the tent for now if you can't afford a underblanket ATM.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I did wonder about the under blanket this time of the year since dont have a roll matt that will fit either. I'll stick with the tent this weekend and try and see where to get a sensibly price under blanket from in that case.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I did wonder about the under blanket this time of the year since dont have a roll matt that will fit either. I'll stick with the tent this weekend and try and see where to get a sensibly price under blanket from in that case.
That's the thing. Although underblankets Are brilliant they are quite pricey. The cheapest I've seen being the Snug pack one at 75 pounds. The cheapest way is to make one yourself out of a good old sleeping bag. This only really applies if your not carrying it a long way as homemade ones are always really heavy.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
A sleeping bag underquilt is cheap and effective, the downside being bulk & weight but if you're not carrying it far then it's the way to go.

I hang my tarp in a rectangular fashion but as long as the ends of the hammock are under cover then it doesn't matter (a smaller tarp might need a diagonal lay)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I'm off teaching at a scout camp this weekend in the new forest and wandering would I still be warm enough in a DD hammock and army sleeping bag without a under blanket or should I stick with a tent and roll mat?

Also regarding hammocks what is the best way to pitch the tarp over it since some seem to do a diamond shape and other just the normal ridgeline?
What I do with my tarp is do it in a rectangular fashion but at the back I just tie is down straigh to the ground but at the front I get two poles a little higher than myself. Then I push these into the ground slightly and take the guy over them and down to the ground and peg it off. At night I remove the poles and bring the angle of the tarp down. So that I get more protection. I use the poles so I can easily get under the tarp during the day. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Jacob

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Here are some information (and photographs) in Finnish on how to use hammocks in -20C/-4F. What they used was a hammock, a tarp, a wool blanket, a warm coat and a US Army modular sleeping bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried an underblanket but could not get on with it.
I use a mat under me in the hammock and have used everything from a foam mat to an Exped down filled airbed.
The advantage of a mat in a hammock is that they help push the fabric away from you at the sides (and stop the sleeping bag from being compressed) as well as insulating you underneath (major sleeping bag compression area) - and it helps reduce the "sausage skin" claustraphobia effect....
I found the "coffin shaped " self inflating mats very good but nothing rivals the Exped 9 deluxe down!
As to tarps I use a big tarp (4x3) set square as a ridgeline - it gives more cover to the hammock and better admin/living space than a small one pitched as a diamond ... but it weighs more as well...

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I hammocked in minus 7 degrees last winter without an underblanket. I used a summer weight sleeping bag as an insulating mat beneath my down bag, and put a reflective foil blanket between the two. I was toasty warm. I'll probably do the same again this year.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
When I started hanging, I used roll up foam mats and car windscreen reflectors in between the layers of the DD travel and I have friends that still do.

I did many nights at around -10c and got that setup down to -13 quite comfortably.

Underquilts are the best insulation ever for a hammock but aren't essential to keep you warm or comfy.

When I hammocked in the arctic last winter, I took an Exped Downmat 9 so I could go to ground in comfort too. . I find airmats make them too tippy but thats just me.

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
So guys. if i got a foam roll mat, A car windsreen reflector and a homemade underblanket made from a czech arem sleeping bag, i could sleep out in very cold winter nights indeed. I will defo be trying this. :)

May 23, 2012
Highlands
Hi
I don't own a tent & ski hike/camp in winter. I do 7+ day ski hikes

I use a Hennesy asym deluxe , for under insulation I had a tailor machine2x foil blankets together !!!!!!
Simple, effective & light - will fit in a cargo pocket

Worth a try for anyone

J

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I regularly use a winter issue sleeping bag in my hammock during winter. As John says a mat underneath makes a huge difference.
I also take a lined blanket with me and pu that udner the mat folded up. Its also handy for sitting on during the day. Pretty sure mine was a petrol station jobby for about a fiver.
When it starts to get into the big -degrees i will head to the floor.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I've hammocked all year round and never felt the need for an underquilt. I've got the DD Traveler hammock and just pop a piece of foam underlay with a Thermarest on top of it in the gap between the base layers. I'm thinking of cutting the underlay so it is profiled round the shoulders more for this winter. I've then got the Snugpack (not so) Special Forces sleeping system (2 bags, 1 in the other) and a blanket if it gets really cold, but not used it yet. I find that I'm more than comfortable down to below -6 and that the mozzi net actually keeps a fair bit of heat in. Always wear a hat and maybe fashion something for your nose as that's about the only part of me that gets really cold. A pee bottle is good too so you don't have to get out and can be used as a hot water bottle. Be aware of wind direction and height off the deck in case it gets misty in the morning.

All that said, we all have our own tolerances to cold. Spandit and I regularly camp out together and the poor chap is so thin, he really feels the cold. As for porky old me, I tend not to. My biggest danger is sweating up too much cos I'm too warm, which then means you lose too much heat venting off.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
You need something under you in order not to freeze. I use one of those foam insulation things (don't know the English word)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Yeah, hammocks are totally the wrong tool for a job, there's a reason it was invented by Mayan and not Inuit people.

Sure, you can add accessories until you don't freeze bits off but the reality is it's just a bit of a bodge. At best a hammock is a comfy bed in the winter but if you have to change clothes you're exposed to cold and wind which is a bit silly. In addition, you have to protect everything from sideways snow as often there are gusts of wind in leafless woodland. It's just a lot like unnecessary hard work.

But... try to take my hammock off me in the summer and you have a fight on your hands.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for all the replys. :eek:
Looking at the weather forcast it's gona be a wet one this weekend so a small tent seems the sensible option.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
When rain is expected, that's the only time I put my tarp in the diamond config. It's slightly longer that way and covers both ends of the hammock better keeping the rain away from the ends.

As for underblankets or insulation, I've tried more than a dozen different ways so far. Last winter the best I found was a spare cheap sleeping bag under my DD Traveller and Frontline. This year I have a new toy.
It's called Thermowrap and it's a silvered bubble wrap designed to insulate lofts etc. It folds down well and has hardly any weight. It's supposed to be equivalent to 4 inch thick polystyrene in insulation and so far works well.
It's about £20 for a huge roll from any DIY store and you can use it to make pot cozies too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE