Hammocks in the winter without under blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have a theory or two about keeping warm in a hammock in cold weather.

1) stop air flow under you - I try and achieve this by diagonal tarp and bringing the corners each side down low.

2) trap the warm air (warmed by your body) under you - like a skirt does. I keep meaning to test this out. In principle just a light weight wind proof sheet hung over the hammock edges should achieve this. Even better if it was a tube, so the warm air couldn't easily be blown away. The physics is quite different to insulation over you - where the heat is trying to rise into the sky above you.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Funny how its different strokes for different folks
I find an under blanket completely unnecessary A foam roll mat is perfect
As for configuration of Tarp It depends on the size of your tarp really

I prefer a hammock in wet weather for what I think are fairly obvious reasons i.e you are off the wet ground
I use a tent as well but its more to do with circumstances and what takes my fancy at the time

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've recenty been experimenting with an alpkit numo diectly in the bag, no UQ or any other insulation.

I had a great kip for an overnighter. Interesting to see how it handles the colder weather.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
This year I have a new toy.
It's called Thermowrap and it's a silvered bubble wrap designed to insulate lofts etc. It folds down well and has hardly any weight. It's supposed to be equivalent to 4 inch thick polystyrene in insulation and so far works well.
It's about £20 for a huge roll from any DIY store and you can use it to make pot cozies too.

I was looking at this yesterday in Homebase. I think it's been reduced to 11.99 a roll. I wondered if it would be any good for use in a hammock. Thanks for the post I think I'll give it a try

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I did wonder about that Thermowrap stuff but surely it wont be as firm as a foam matt and would just scrunch up after a bit?

So would somthing like this be a good idea or is it better to have a foam mat in the hammock not self inflating thing:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-ultralite-3-4-style-lightweight-sleeping-mat-p143705

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-reviews/vango-ultralite-mat-3-4-p115707

Also my tarp is a 3x3 DD tarp so i presume depending on the weather depends how you pitch it over he hammock?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE