Hammocking without Tape...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hello all,
Can I ask for a bit of advice?
I'm off hammocking for a week next week, and using my MagiKelly system for the first time.
Unfortunately the tape I've ordered for hanging the thing hasn't arrived so I need to find an alternative.
I have some Paracord, but I think that might be pushing my luck - it *says* it'll take 550lbs, but it looks awful thin, and may damage the tree. I also have some 8mm climbing rope, but that might be too thick to attach to the hammock...

So, any tips on how I can safely, securely hang it without causing too much damage to the tree, using stuff I can pick up on the high street? (Have a nearby field and trek but they haven't got any climbing tape?!?!!)

Cheers all!

Neil

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Why not use the 8mm to tie a loop around each tree. Tie the hammock to the loop with the paracord (use enough wraps until you're happy it's not going to snap :D)?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Nemisis said:
If I remember right goose tried climbing rope but it stretches during the night because of its dynamic nature.
Dave.
It does!
But you can get away with it as long as it is not too long. I have used polyprop rope without too much trouble. Polyprop rope is the bog standard blue or orange(usually) rope that you can get anywhere.
I have also used the ratchet straps that Nemesis links to, they aren't bad, you can use the ratchet to adjust the length. I wrap the strap a couple of times around the tree leaving the ratchet near the trunk, pass the strap through the rings then use the ratchet to adjust the length, works really well. Would be a little wary of tying these straps as the knots can be a bit of a bugger to untie after being under strain.
PS. I think the straps are sometimes in the pound shops too!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Thats great at least for £1 you'll not loose anything getting one or two to experiment with rather than return to the ground for the week lol. Enjoy the trip.
Dave.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Hi Neil, I have used tape from the ratchet straps that have already been mentioned but without the ratchet. I usually double up the strap around the tree and then use a bowline knot (last part finished as a slip for easy undoing)

If you remove the metal hook from the hammock and secure it with the bowline knot to the strapping you can sometimes set up without having to even tie a knot. Hope that makes sense its more difficult to explain than it is to do!

Old picture with different hammock/strapping but it may help.

P@ul

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
get the roof rack straps with buckles rather than ratchets (most car places sell 2.5 or 5m) then wrap around the tree a few times, through the buckle and a quick round turn and half hitch. Then make an over hand loop in the free end for the hammock to tie in.

1001 used for them things

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
you could always get a couple of seat belts out of a scrap car , take them off the mechanisms by unreeling and cutting it off. then you have useful straps of 2" width that can be used as tree huggers and not damage the trees.

leon-1

Shambling Shaman said:
This it true if you buy rope ask for static rope this is used for hard bely and absailing it has no / very very min dynamic propertys.

Static ropes are pretty good, as mentioned they have not got the 5 - 7% stretch that a standard dynamic rope has. If you have a climbing center near you you could always ask there because after a while ropes like these are disposed of (they have become warn in areas and the lengths are no longer viable for abseiling). I don't know if I have any scraps of black marlow laying around, but I'll have a look for you later and let you know.

If you can get it seat belt strapping is an option as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE