Undoing stubborn knots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How can you untie stubborn knots without damaging the cord?

I've got a pair of trail shoes with flat, tape laces and somehow a simple overhand knot has got stuck in one of the laces. It's bit tighter and tighter because I couldn't undo it and had to use the shoes. Obviously anything that damages the laces would mean buying expensive replacement laces from the manufacturer at no doubt exorbitant prices.

I thought I'd ask on here because I know there's at least one keen knotsman on here that might have tips. I'm rarely beaten by knots but this annoying overhand knot has me beat without help.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have tried all sorts of methods in the past but one method I have used successfully is to use two sharp but large sewing needles. You put one in all the way through each of the two cords you're trying to ease - it provides a much better grip to ease them loose without damaging the cord. I have also successfully eased knots open with the pliers on my SAK.

Reactions: Seagull

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A small nail file.
Traditionally a fid or spike is used to ease a knot, but I find a little nail file, flat and rounded pointy, gets under at least one 'strand' and helps ease. The one on a SAK works fine. Failing that, raid the Missus' manicure set.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
That's what the marlin spike is for on the old British army folding knife.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
You can also sometimes bray a knot loose. I've done this in the past when I've screwed up my Alpine Butterfly when hauling felled trees.

Maybe you can tap it with a hammer against a hard surface and see if that helps.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Bray..to pound or crush.
In patois, its meaning is unmistakable. An intent to bray something/one, means use your dictionary as body armour.
Hope that is cleared up.
regards all
Ceeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of it as grinding something, pressing on it to make it soft/loose.
Making ink from solid crumbs for instance.
I thought it originated as using a mortar to break up stuff, not to batter it, but to kind of thump carefully.

From breaken rather than neighing, iimmc ?

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
in some sort of order from some suggestions above

How to unite a tight knot
  1. For larger, stiff knots, tap the knot with a spoon or hammer to start to loosen it.
  2. Locate the knot’s loops and try to pull them apart with your fingers.
  3. Continue loosening loops by twisting a loose end and pushing it through the knot.
  4. Insert an implement, like a bamboo skewer, corkscrew, or marlinspike into the knot.
  5. Use the implement to gain leverage on loops and start to pull the knot apart.
  6. If you can’t finish the job by hand, pull the loosened loops apart using needle-nose pliers.
  7. Soak the lace so it becomes more flexible and then try picking it apart?
edit

number 7 suggested by @nigelp added to the list

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
2 and 3 aren't working. The flat shape makes it harder to get a grip where you need to with fingers. Needlenose pliers are likely to damage. I've no m large needles so will have to get some to try that. Skewers, chopsticks or similar including all knitting needles in the house would not get into the knot. I think it may be the case that only is not for coming out! Annoying but I would have to live with it, which I can just.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE