Belgian M97 back length hack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
Any of you who like me are 6'5" (1.95m) or taller will know how difficult it is to find a backpack that fits well.

It seems, at least for affordable options, ex military 100L+ packs offer some possibilities, but even these can be problematical, as I have found initially with a recently purchased Belgian M97 pack.

I came up with a simple hack that adds another couple of inches.
It involves bypassing the top plastic guide on the back of the padded shoulder harness and installing a new guide two inches below it.

I managed to do this using only three turns of double sided 1" velcro tape to fabricate the new guide, and 2" loop through the bypassed plastic guide to hold the new velcro guide in position. This allows the padded harness to be positioned up to 2" higher on the frame. It seems to work flawlessly and makes a huge difference to the comfort as it efectively extends the length of padding for you shoulders.

I will try to add pictures later

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
20221113-104903.jpg

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
Any of you who like me are 6'5" (1.95m) or taller will know how difficult it is to find a backpack that fits well.

It seems, at least for affordable options, ex military 100L+ packs offer some possibilities, but even these can be problematical, as I have found initially with a recently purchased Belgian M97 pack.

It involves bypassing the top plastic guide on the back of the padded shoulder harness and installing a new guide two inches below it.

I managed to do this using only three turns of double sided 1" velcro tape to fabricate the new guide, and 2" loop through the bypassed plastic guide to hold the new velcro guide in position. This allows the padded harness to be positioned up to 2" higher on the frame. It seems to work flawlessly and makes a huge difference to the comfort as it efectively extends the length of padding for you shoulders.

20221113-104913.jpg

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Clever mod...........
I am 6' 4".......but it's not ones height that's the issue, it's ones back length....measured from bump at base of neck (C7) to top of pelvic girdle.
As a rule of thumb, go for packs with adjustable back lengths or measure the back length; for despite my height my back length is average or slightly long (about 22"), most of my height being in my legs............

Reactions: ianmbetts

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE