Hammocking, how do you keep your a**e warm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
they are on ebay think there are about 15quid with delivery its a tenth wonder ultra light i will purchase after xmas hopefully they sell the tarps to :)
iam not one to spend alot of money on my kit hobo all the way lol

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Would any blanket provide insulation as an underblanket? I have a fleece blanket that I don't use very often and could quite easily put some attachments to stretch it out.

I can tell you what NOT to use. I have a DD hammock and tried to stuff a single duvet in it. It made the hammock so taut that when I got in it, I couldn't get comfy and then kicked and struggled to get into my bag and tipped the damn thing over :(

Mad Dave still sniggers about it now. I'm not sure if that's because I tipped it, or because of the blue language :censored:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I can tell you what NOT to use. I have a DD hammock and tried to stuff a single duvet in it. It made the hammock so taut that when I got in it, I couldn't get comfy and then kicked and struggled to get into my bag and tipped the damn thing over :(

Mad Dave still sniggers about it now. I'm not sure if that's because I tipped it, or because of the blue language :censored:

really? as funny is that is:rolleyes: i've done that on a number of ocasions, infact when it was really cold, i had a single duvet in the middle bit and i was in a sleeping bag ontop, i was very warm and very comfy all night, how tall are you?

however I've been in the same boat as you, I was in my hammock one night when camping with mates (we were all in hammocks) and it was really windy causing the hammocks to swing, they were swinging for ages and the friction must of burnt its way through the ropes because my hammock suddnely gave way and I hit the deck! haha, was rather funny. Contacted DD hammocks and they immediately sent me a knew hammock! FOR FREE! great service. (i had to give the old one back)

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I can't remember the brand name of my hammock at the moment, but it's got big storage pockets underneath. The still-air spaces they create act like insulation. Still, if it gets close to freezing, it's much more comfortable to on the ground and more sheltered from the wind. And a fire, either in the form of a tent stove or open and reflecting into a shelter, is what makes winter camping a joy rather than an ordeal to me.

i had a single duvet in the middle bit and i was in a sleeping bag ontop, i was very warm and very comfy all night, how tall are you?

I'm 5'11". The duvet simply didn't fit properly under the second skin bit, and when I couldn't get into my doss bag, I lost my rag a bit.

the friction must of burnt its way through the ropes because my hammock suddnely gave way and I hit the deck!

Oh dear! I ended up upside-down looking at the floor through the mozzi net and Dave and Spike had to turn me the right way up again.

Sounds like you got great service from DD, though.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
4218530163_6a25ab791d.jpg

l tried an issue roll mat and sun sceen reflector last night but it kept sliding around in my hennessey.
Will try poncho liner as under blanket on outside off hammock next i think, any ideas?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Something like a quilt or underblanket on the outside is the answer.

In the meantime though you can slip your mat inside your sleeping bag to stop it going anywhere.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Has anyone tried one of these in between the base layers of the DD Travel Hammock
Exped Syn Mat
Would one hold the hammock too flat and wide?
synmatgroup350.jpg

Yes... expensive, but if the one item doubles up as an excellent ground mat and a hammock base insulator then it could be interesting. (OK I am old and getting soft, and like comfort) :)

Rod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE