Hammocking, how do you keep your a**e warm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
When it'll squash the insulation in the sleeping bag?

Do people use thermarests / karrimats etc? I'm guessing that it'd be possible to mod a karrimat to fit to the required shape.

I know that you can get liners, but aren't they a bit bulky and heavy?

Cheers

Nick

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When it'll squash the insulation in the sleeping bag?

Do people use thermarests / karrimats etc? I'm guessing that it'd be possible to mod a karrimat to fit to the required shape.

I know that you can get liners, but aren't they a bit bulky and heavy?

Cheers

Nick

Do a quick search for under blankets:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did not get on with an underblanket but found a coffin shaped self inflating type mat or a similarly shaped closed cell mat does the job of keeping my *rse warm....astrip of that stuff that makes dashboard non-slip mats (I got a great length of it in a pound shop) glued onto the bottom of the mat helps stop it from self ejecting in the middle of the night as does the coffin shape as it fits the hammock better.
The added benifit of a mat is that it stops the hammock hugging you too tight on the sides as well, by being that bit more ridgid....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use the Snugpak underblanket through autumn & winter but use a 3/4 Thermarest spring and summer. The difference is being able to multi night trips with just a 35L pack in the warmer months but then I need 75L when it's cooler.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Large size RidgeRest (Cascade Design) trimmed to a coffin shape. Extra width of the large size helps with wrapping around the shoulders.

Alternatively, since I have a Hennessey, I use their own under cover system which uses a sheet of open cell foam and a sil-nylon wind breaker.

i drop my sleeping bag inside the hammock on top of a truck windscreen protector cut to size for reflective purposes. Then i tie my poncho on the outside, on the ends of the hammock, and close it on top with a couple of binder clips, to create an air space and stop the wind. If it's really cold, i fill the poncho with some leaves so that the wall of the poncho doesn't touch the hammock.
the rest of the heating is made with the tarp and a reflective fire, and keeping the hammock nearer to the ground thus reducing the ammount of air that flows underneath.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I use one of Wanderinstar's excellent Coccoons (have a search of the threads for full details) - it slips around the whole hammock like a big sleeping bag. Very quick and easy to rig (I use shock cord with mini krabs) and extremely warm - I used it in January this year at -3C and was perfectly comfortable with no need for thermals, hats, socks, etc. I think there might be another group buy going on...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE