My new Swag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ok, clocked this a few days ago on Ebay. Never ever seen one in the flesh but i did recognise the name from a long time ago somewhere, i just dont remember where.?

After viewing for many hours and doing a wee bit of research i decided, Why not.

£50 starting bid, I know, seems a bit heavy but as you say, everything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay. I dropped £60 on it as my max bid and left it at that...I only gone a won it for £50 as i was the only person/mug to bid... :eek:

Seems like a decent bit of gear and nice old school style cotton Canvas. Excellent condish seeing as it's 40 something years old. i'll give it a thorough clean and i intend to wax it once it arrives.

Anyhoo here's a few pics i nicked direct from the seller and a bit detail about the Swag. Be interested if any of our members have experience with these and welcome your opinion..good or bad feel free.

Cheers, S :)

EDIT: forgot to add in the sales pitch.
Here..

'It has to be said that our American cousins do indeed make some jolly fine kit. I suppose that given the vast climatic variance found in the good of US of A, the need to have the best of the best is paramount. Now when it came to sleeping bags, this rule of thumb was strictly applied and some of the finest sleeping systems ever produced came from the lost colonies. And it so happens I've got a rule bute here for you!'

Made by the Seattle quilt company probably in the late 1960s. The company made a large range of these bags, each type being designed for use in specific climatic region, IE the further North the state, the more filling and weather protection. This is a 'Pacific' model and is meant for that sweep of the country -rain forests included!

The bag incorporates a 'tent canopy' that can be detached if required. In the pictures you will note that I've used a cordage line to support the canopy. In the field the recommended method is to use two formed sticks and a stick cross piece to hold the canopy in place. It gives a unique little cocooned shelter, ideal for light rain shed.

The bag as told by the label, contains Dacron fill and is very, very warm.

The outer is made of tough 8oz cotton duck and can be proofed - I believe it was original coated with a water repellent.

There is a space between the outer cover and main bag that was originally intended to take an inflatable mattress. Today a chap could use a thermarest or karrimat.

The strings are used to secure the canopy and to tie the bundled bag for transport.

This is a heavy bag, and would be better considered as a swag or bedroll. It's ideal for car based camping or perhaps vintage canoe trips. It fills the entire space in a Swedish M39 bag.

It can be carried in a large frame rucksack - I've used one with a vintage Norwegian bag but it really is not a good long distance option.

It's in super condition; the outer has only a couple of small marks and the inner is clean and smell good -important consideration! The zip works well and has been well lubricated.

Size : Unrolled - 182 x 79 cm

: Rolled - 79 x 22 cm

: Weight - 2900 kg

These are rare and getting hard to find in good shape.

The colonel highly recommends this one!

th_Swag_zps2qqpnqod.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag2_zpsyeyn8lnc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag3_zpsr82p6rry.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag4_zpspnbggdvc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag7_zps84ltznrr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag8_zpsrsswzh9u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag6_zpst81evf7e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag9_zpswhzjz4gg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag5_zpsji8dnkfj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_swag1_zps1qwcp7of.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That looks excellent Stevie. Always fancied one but being a broken man means I tend to sleep on a cot in the Tipi these days despite my former dislike of raised beds.
Look forward to hearing about your experience with it. Used to love bivis myself but its a definate mindset that not everyone can get into. As long as the midge weren't too bad I was happy though the wee soandso's could drive you mad when only having a bivi/swag to stay in.
Hope to hear of a trip soon.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Cheers Hamish. Yeah, it looks a solid well made bit of Kit, I was looking into the Aussie swags but the price and the bulkiness kinda put me off. This looks manageable at just under 3kg's, adding my roll mat should take it to the 3kg mark..lighter than my tent anyway.

I intend to try it our as soon as i get it proofed...need to look into wax proofing cotton now. any ideas?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Nice find, be good to see how it compares to the Czech bedroll.

Goatboy is actually Toga yob.
Dreadhead is Hamish. :)
Never seen a Czech bedroll so cant compare i'm afraid...

Goatboy- Dreadhead...i'm still trying to suss out who's who in here...crap with names.:eek:

The guy i bought it from had a very nice vintage Heroes of the Telemark style canvas smock...wrong size for me or i would have bought that also.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Hamish. Yeah, it looks a solid well made bit of Kit, I was looking into the Aussie swags but the price and the bulkiness kinda put me off. This looks manageable at just under 3kg's, adding my roll mat should take it to the 3kg mark..lighter than my tent anyway.

I intend to try it our as soon as i get it proofed...need to look into wax proofing cotton now. any ideas?

Personally I'd go for Nikwax Cotton Proof. Comes in a pump spray, pop it in a bowl of warm water first and it goes on a treat, no lumps and smears like using a tin of solid wax like Barbour and the likes. I us it for all my proofed cotton kit and it comes up a treat. If you.don't want waxed finish Nikwax cotton tent proof is the thing. My tipi and canvas backpacks are done this way way and stay braw and dry. The latter stuff also has a UV protection to it though living in Scotland UV damage is the least of my worries. :D

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
If this is the genuine US made article I think these are getting both rare and valuable, there's a thread on here somewhere about them. You might have snaffled a real bargain! If you're interested in a re sale I think the original thread had a link to an outside article that was talking about one that was auctioned for in the hundreds! I'll rack my brings to try and recall where I read it...

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
If this is the genuine US made article I think these are getting both rare and valuable, there's a thread on here somewhere about them. You might have snaffled a real bargain! If you're interested in a re sale I think the original thread had a link to an outside article that was talking about one that was auctioned for in the hundreds! I'll rack my brings to try and recall where I read it...
Well the label does say Made by the Seattle quilt mfg Co and is sold as a genuine US made item, i can only imagine that it is?....Maybe knocked it off as you say...Certainly looks a sturdy bit of gear you would expect from 50's-60's US manufacturing. Cant wait to get it home now.

Would like to find that original thread for a wee read up. I did notice one sold in the US for over $250 on a page i found when i was researching so obviously they can have a good sell on value if you get the right person. Maybe they are rare wee items to get hold of.

Cant find the page now..Looking around google there's not a lot of info on them..Just old Advertising and stuff...I have seen the Comfy Brand name before. either on a quilt or a sleeping bag, but for the life of me i cant recall where and when. Must be something rare about them... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1956-Prin...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Never seen a Czech bedroll so cant compare i'm afraid...

Goatboy- Dreadhead...i'm still trying to suss out who's who in here...crap with names.:eek:

The guy i bought it from had a very nice vintage Heroes of the Telemark style canvas smock...wrong size for me or i would have bought that also.

I wish I had the skills of Hamish, a true craftsman. Just have to console my self to being a fellow ruggedly handsome east coaster. :rolleyes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My new/40 something year old Swag arrived today. Thought i might try it out for size before i take it on a test run for real.. Fits like a glove.

I see it's brought a smile to your face. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE