hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
It seems to me that no one here ever seemed to use the net hammocks, are they crap? too open to air?
Surely the net ones pack down smaller and are just as tough with the same sharps cautions?

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
8thsinner said:
It seems to me that no one here ever seemed to use the net hammocks, are they crap? too open to air?
Surely the net ones pack down smaller and are just as tough with the same sharps cautions?
I started off in one, and it was OK for a few years, but I have replaced it with a group buy one from here.
The netting one had a few limitations,
  • It was too small to get my feet in comfortably
  • the support cord broke after a few years
  • It was too tight to turn over
Ironically I found it warmer tham my new one but I think that is because the sleeping bag pokes through the holes in the net, so doesnt get as squashed and traps more air.

I intend to repair it this summer using a spacer bar instead of the ring and run a bit of paracord along the edges for a bit of added strength, but wether I actually get round to it now I have the new one remains to be seen :)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Right feedback as promised.

The hammock is great for what i paid for it. I didnt get to sleep in it because my missus was in it and i was on the floor but i did get a snooze in one afternoon.

The hammock is a little short but nothing to worry about for me (5'6) too much. One of the solutions to it feeling a little narrow ( not sure if this is me never using one before) was to climb inside and use it as a single skin rather than use a sleep mat in between the fold.
As stated before the tapes are definatly too short, but this was solved by using rope and karabiners on the end. One of the advantages for this method was it created a line for hanging kit on.
All in all i am very happy with it and the million dollar question is would i buy another ?........ yes ......if i was skint and broke and looking for a really cheap bit of kit, if i had extra cash then i probably would go for the DD as its a little bigger.

Onto the tarp from DD.

I just love it, its huge, it works and does exactly what it says on the tin. Easy to set up in different styles and quick to dry when i got home. It does weight a lot but it is well built.

Would i buy it again ? yes definalty

Sorry for the delay since posting this originally but time, cash and work has put paid to any serious testing until this weekend at delamere. Hope this helps with any of you wondering whether to get one. :p

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
firebreather said:
Right feedback as promised.

The hammock is great for what i paid for it. I didnt get to sleep in it because my missus was in it and i was on the floor but i did get a snooze in one afternoon.

The hammock is a little short but nothing to worry about for me (5'6) too much. One of the solutions to it feeling a little narrow ( not sure if this is me never using one before) was to climb inside and use it as a single skin rather than use a sleep mat in between the fold.
As stated before the tapes are definatly too short, but this was solved by using rope and karabiners on the end. One of the advantages for this method was it created a line for hanging kit on.
All in all i am very happy with it and the million dollar question is would i buy another ?........ yes ......if i was skint and broke and looking for a really cheap bit of kit, if i had extra cash then i probably would go for the DD as its a little bigger.

Onto the tarp from DD.

I just love it, its huge, it works and does exactly what it says on the tin. Easy to set up in different styles and quick to dry when i got home. It does weight a lot but it is well built.

Would i buy it again ? yes definalty

Sorry for the delay since posting this originally but time, cash and work has put paid to any serious testing until this weekend at delamere. Hope this helps with any of you wondering whether to get one. :p

Just to add - I did get to sleep in mine and will say that I was very comfortable and I'm 5'11". I used a roll mat in between the double layer and my back was warm all night and fine in the morning. As far as the narrow feeling as noted by Firebreather above I think that the roll mat alleviates this considerably as when initially testing the hammock in the garden without a roll mat the other week I also got the feeling of snugness.

Shaun (McDonald) tried it for size and Shaun said he thought he could just about get away with the length and your what Shaun? 6'1"ish?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE