Hammock Underblankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, been thinking about a nice underblanket but just unsure what to go for 3/4 dawn or the cocoon type set up? how much would you expect to pay for a nice 3/4 dawn underblanket and top quilt for the uk winter. in black or dark green :). thanks in advance. carl

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
hi, been thinking about a nice underblanket but just unsure what to go for 3/4 dawn or the cocoon type set up? how much would you expect to pay for a nice 3/4 dawn underblanket and top quilt for the uk winter. in black or dark green :). thanks in advance. carl

Have a look at Unsponsoreds underblankets in the classifieds. Prices tend to vary depending on the amount of down used and the overall size. I've never used a top quilt as I prefer to use sleeping bags to be honest, so can't really comment on them.
The Snugpak underblankets are superb but they're quite bulky and heavy with it. I sued mine for a couple of years in temps well down in the minuses. Again I've never tried the cocoon as it's not really my cup of tea.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can make an underblanket in about 10 minutes from an old sleeping bag, 4 large safety pins & 4 bits of grosgrain or webbing - very easy & cheap (& doesn't destroy the bag either)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I made my own underblanket from a cheap square sleeping bag from argos, some thick shock cord, and olive green ripstop parachute nylon. Unzipped the sleeping bag, and cut out a rugby ball shape on the diagonal to maximise the length. The excess 'triangles' left from opposite corners of the sleeping bag i then joined together as a square and stitched into the middle of the rugby ball shape to provide double the insulation under the torso. Covered it all in a nice ripstop parachute nylon so it looks bushcrafty, and sewed channels down the sides to run the shock cord through. Shock cord is then tied (very tightly) to my drip rings (karabiners). Works very well, cost me i think around £12 to make with all new materials, and gives the satisfaction of using something you have made!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
....The ones from across the pond were overpriced in my view.

seg

They are not the same as a synthetic UQ, theres much more work to make a shaped down quilt with seperate baffles and high quality down isnt cheap. The makers obviously make a profit, but its not very big I assure you.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
As a complete newbie to hammocking - I took the plunge last week - I've noticed in the passing all the threads about underblankets etc., etc., this thread has me interested. Time to use the search function and do some more investigating.

I've a DD Camping hammock, and slept on top of a zipless moonbag (dog chewed it so I removed the lot) with an unzipped moonbag as a blanket over me and an envelope bag unzipped over that. I was toasty enough even in hailstones at the start of the week but I've a couple of questions of my own;

a) would using an inflatable matt in the zipped compartment alter the profile extremely - though negate the need for an underquilt?
b) using an underblanket - isn't it a bit claustrophobic?
c) has anyone actually slept inside the zipped compartment and is that claustrophobic?

Thanks in advance.

Liam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
a) Try using a half inflated mat, it'll try and make a break for it but if you can zip it in that'll help. Another alternative is to put it inside your sleeping bag if it'll fit.
b) No not at all mate, I find it nice and snug to nestle down into. They only come up to the edges of the hammock so you can still peek out.
c) Tried it once for a laugh on my Nomad hammock, no zip but two layers. I think the idea is to use it like that in a jungle if you don't have a net. That was very claustrophobic

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
The sweet spot of underblankets, is getting the loft to wrap around underneath you and up your sides without any compression, so all you should need is loft above you from your sleaping bag. Hence underquilts and quilt combinations.

I have the snugpak under quilt, and use my Softie 9 bag as a quilt on top, so no need to wriggle into a claustrophic mummy bag, or need of a sleeping mat.

It's actually quite warm.

That said, you are susceptible from wind chill losing heat if you get your set up wrong.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks Rich.

I might try modding the old envelope bag into an U/B in that case as I fancy some cold weather hammocking.

Cheers,

Liam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That said, you are susceptible from wind chill losing heat if you get your set up wrong.

What he said :) That's basically the difference between a mat and a UB in colder weather. I sometimes use an old 3/4 TAR in summer but not when it's chilly

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
As for c/ I may be reading you wrong, but the bug net on the DD is really good, not claustrophic at all. You do need to find good sticks to get it to spread properly and the loops are a little tight for most natural rods. I use spare tent poles I've ripped out of a £5 tent.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks Rich.

I might try modding the old envelope bag into an U/B in that case as I fancy some cold weather hammocking.

Cheers,

Liam

All you need is a rectangle, either full length or 2/3 or 3/4 depending on what you've got to start with.

2/3 starts at your shoulders and stops just past the butt, a 3/4 length reaches down past the knees.

If you sew it up first to the new lengths and then chop the excess off it's a bit easier. To cover up the rough edges try and get some soft webbing or stuff called grosgrain. Sew that along the length and leave enough of a gap to thread some bungee cord through. The bungee lets you set the UB where you want it and offers some give when you get in.

Have a look at the DIY section on hammockforums.net and there should be loads of useful info to read before you get the scissors out

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As for c/ I may be reading you wrong, but the bug net on the DD is really good, not claustrophic at all. You do need to find good sticks to get it to spread properly and the loops are a little tight for most natural rods. I use spare tent poles I've ripped out of a £5 tent.

I don't think the Camping has a net mate, might be wrong though as I've never had one. I think it's the Travel with the net

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry

Thanks Chief, I'm browsing their forum at the mo - but your link will speed things up.

Do snakeskins make things easier? I expect the UQ/UB will still need packed separately.

My vulcan side pouch takes my MC Tarp with ridgeline and guylines, tent pegs, 8x bungees and clothes pegs (drip stops) and the hammock is in its own sack in the bergan.

In fact the biggest pain to carry is the inflatable mat!

Many thanks,

Liam

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
If your on a tight budget you can convert a sleeping bag to an underquilt. Hammock forums has various threads about people who have done that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE