Hammock and Tarp Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
Royston, Herts UK
I was hoping you may be able to guide me in purchasing a hammock and tarp.
Not having used either before, I would like advice on what is required to setup for a nights sleep.

I was looking at buying from DD Hammocks, but they have several different hammocks, tarps and extras available, so any advice, or a list from their site of the required equipment would be very useful. Thanks

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
For hammocking the min tarp size is considered 3 x 3m and the DD is a good piece of kit.

However, I would sugest that you look at the DD Tarp XL, which is 4.5 x 3m and gives you much more protection from the elements and gives you an "admin" space to cook in and store gear.

Hammock wise, I never got on with the DD's, but many on here swear by them...

If you can afford it, have a look at UKHammocks and have a chat with Mat (a member on here and owner of UKHammocks) about what you need...top bloke to do business with.

HTH.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd recommend Warbonnet hammocks but they're a bit pricey for a first time try, I agree with Simon on the DDs though, not the comfiest of hammocks out there.

Look at Tenth Wonder on ebay for a good budget model, Nomads Land XXL are great too if you only want a single layer.

Lots of options out there and so at the end of the day it comes down to budget.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
If you can try and borrow one from a friend.

Hammocking is very different to what your used to for XX amount of years, DD hammocks are a good starting point, but i found that the webbing was a big let down and led to poor setup/nights sleep, so i upgraded, but i encountered more problems of my own personal circumstances, sore knees etc.

I now have a bridge hammock which eliminates the banana affect, but are costly.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
good advice there i use the tenth wonder xl and its fine for me i have a 3x3 dd tarp but i wish i had got the xl one.

also dont forget insulation even if its just a foam camping mat other wise you will get cold

and if you enjoy swinging be prepared to be spending money on new bits like karabiners,tree huggers,whoopy slings and underblankets like ive started to do now :D

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I agree with Simon on the tarp size- I make my own with fleabay 2oz ripstop breathable 3x2m for summer shower tarps but they're not man enuff for a blustery, wet wind which gets everywhere so I got a machine mart 4x3m to trial the size- again its small for what I want (sommat which can double as a cooking area with standing height as well as hammock cover) so I'll make the next up at 4.5x3.5m in 4oz ripstop.

I made my hammocks from the 4oz ripstop breathable and gathered the ends, using polyurethene webbing from the gather with a loop for a net ridgeline (the net velcros on, gotta say I use it year round as it cuts the wind and keeps a modicum of warmth in) and another 4 pieces of webbing approx 2m doubled and knotted along the length to secure around trees- use a 300lb+ carabiner top and bottom to secure to the webbing 'tree huggers'. If you've got a pet sewer or can manage straight seams on a machine yourself, tis a good, cheap way forward, MUCHOS satisfaction :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammock-Camping-Complete-Greater-Convenience/dp/0971859442 is the book I used as a guideline- as its American, theres a few conversions to be done to metric but its a fine start :) If you want to buy readymade, get down to your local meets, chat with folk bout their setups and have a trawl through the threads named 'picture heavy'/ similar as theres often LOADS of pics of set ups there :)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The MOD Issue basha and others are to small, when it rains. You don't notice the size unless it's raining and you are limited to that small footprint for all your kit and cooking space.

I want to get another to snap it together with my existing one. I have not hammocked for a while, but use the tarp for sun shelter in France on hols and rain shelter, normally thunderstorms in the Alps (Chamonix).

Bigger the better for tarps.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
If you do go the DD route I'd recommend the frontline. You don't want the hammock-bivi as the nonbreathable material is a big negative.

I prefer a netless hammock, but if you're thinking of camping through a Summer season of midgies or mosquitos a net is a god send. But for the other three seasons it's extra unneeded weight as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah for tarps, go big to begin with, 3m by 3m is real flexible and means you won't have to worry so much about site placement. A smaller tarp like a basha rigged on the diagonal is fine for fair weather but when the **** you'll be much comfier under a big tarp. The DD one is coated polyester and pretty lightweight. I've battered mine the last two year and it's held up well.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have the DD camping hammock and its nice and comfy for me :)

I think the DD hammocks are real comfy lounging around camp, they excell as seats and I like the nice thick stitched tape as it doesn't cut into the bottom of your knees the same way as my single layer does. For sleeping I found a structural ridgeline really helps - I tried out the more taught setup after reading here that DD hammocks were intended for that style of set up but I doubt it - because once you get just the right sag the comfiness just sky rockets. But the problem then is that although comfy it feels too short for me (and I'm not a tall guy).

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I don't know what the prices will be this year. But this the prices from the last DD group buy.

DD Frontline Hammock - £40 (save £9)
DD Travel Hammock - £40 (save £9)
DD Camping Hammock - £20 (save £5)

DD Tarp (3 x 3) - £25 (save £5)
DD Tarp XL - £35 (save £5)
DD Camo Tarp (3 x 3) - £25 (SAVE ?) ....NEW........After the GB these are going to be more expensive than the normal tarps

DD Sleeper - £10 (save £2)
DD Pack (combo deal) - £89 (save £10)

DD Poncho - £15 (save £2)
DD Rucksack - £12 (save £2)

DD Hammock Sleeve - £6 (save £3)
DD Waterproof stuff sacks (x3) - £5 (save £1)
Karabiners made by DMM (x2) - £9 (save £2)

garethw

Settler
If you do go the DD route I'd recommend the frontline. You don't want the hammock-bivi as the nonbreathable material is a big negative.

I used the Travel hammock for over 40 nights in 2011 here in northern France and must say the condensation people talk about with this model is exaggerated. When using a self inflating pad I had some slight dampness, (mostly around my feet) but as these pads are not breathable I would guess I'd have it in a Frontline too.
Since moving to a Snugpak underblanket I've had zero condensation in the hammock.
I got my son a Frontline for Xmas so I'll give it a go myself this summer to see if there really is a difference.

That said, I've often found when sleeping on a mat in a synthtic bag you get a bit of dampness from time to time, but never enough to really be a problem.

As far as the net goes... it's very useful to have... a night of getting eaten alive is no fun. If you dion't need it, just flip the hammock over and sleep on the otherside.

I'd say 3x3 is a minimum size for a tarp. We had a set up last summer with a cheap 3m x 2m tarp and it really didn't cover the hammock well enough for bad weather. With a 3x3 pitched quite low and the corners pegged down on the ground rather than on trek poles, or sticks, you get pretty good coverage, and I've never got wet.

cheers
Gareth

Jan 3, 2012
tiverton,devon
i use a tenth wonder camo xl and 3x3 dd malti cam tarp, both are very good bit`s of kit but you will need some tree hugger`s or some form of wide webbing for hanging the hammock, and don't forget some ring`s or Karabiners to link the two together, mine are tied just of both ends of my hammock and sit under my tarp when set up this act`s as a drip of point for rain water so it don't get in to my hammock. the tenth wonder is double layers so my foam matt can slide in between the two and keep`s the cold of your back for most of the year.:)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I used a DD Frontline for most of my trips last years and I was never really overly impressed with it, it's comfortable ENOUGH for a decent sleep but I always felt it was lacking in some areas, the bug net annoyed the life out of me the way it has to be put up. You have to put it up with sticks (or tent poles) and it became frustrating every time I put it up as it would take less than 5 mins to put the tarp up and then another 10 looking for a stick thin and strong enough.

They are decent enough for the money you pay but they still feel lacking in one area. The tarps are excellent though.

I have just upgraded to a hennessey setup and have not slept in it yet but tried it and it's night and day.

If your after a trial to see if you like it then I originally bought a trek mates hammock for less than £20 and it was just as good as the DD tbh just without the bug net so I would recommend this to see if you get on with hammocking or not.

I Have the DD Travel Hammock and the DD 3x3 tarp A Great set up, i use 2x Snap gate Karabieners (load bearing ones) to set it up
I also have the DD Hammock sleeve which is great, it allows me to store my Hammock and my Tarp together and putting it up is easy, and quick.

I use a Rollmat for insulation and slip it in between the layers - does me just fine

I love mine it is really comfortable, I started with the Issued Basha, and its good if there's no rain but other wise it helps your hammock become a water collection device.

Hammocking in the Cold does produce a lot of condensation, i use an Issued bivvy bag on my sleeping bag so it stops me from getting wet, however the condensation aids in taking heat from you and could make you cold.

If i were to buy again I would get the frontline, it eliminates the condensation issue and has an entry on both sides other wise its just the same.
I have also invested in the DD XL Tarp 3x4 as it gives me an admin area, but i mainly use this tarp when I know fowl weather is coming other wise its a bit big.

I use a metal coat hanger cut and bent to fit the mozzy net, it saves you spending ages looking for small strong sticks.
I have also attached a long length of cord to the zips it makes closing it so much easier and saves me stretching...

To set it up initially i simply tied both ropes together every 10 inches, then i wrap it around the tree and using the Karabieners i attach the rope to it's self.

The best advice i can give is a DD Frontline Hammock, DD 3x3 Tarp, 2x Karabieners and a rollmat, oh and a sleeping bag.
Simple and cheap enough.

If you find Hammocking is for you and its regular then maybe look into some upgrades, no point spending money if its not for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE