Hair Care In The Bush?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Are there any pants etc found in the wild (uk) that can work well for cleaning your hair?

Once can make a "shampoo" from birch leaves. I can't remember exactly, but IIRC it is just a matter of putting a lot of leaves (preferably torn apart I think) in cold water and letting them soak for a while. The one time I did this (15 years ago) the liquid was greenish clear, and clearly made a difference to the hair. The same can be used to clean clothes, BTW.

A lot of this kind of things were found out/tested by the Swedish civil defence people, back when they were still planning for WW2 to happen again.

Incidentally, once can use the same stuff for washing clothes, which is handy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I probably wouldn't want to use my pants for cleaning my hair!! :p

Ah, you say that, but pants are very good at keeping hair under control. Think were you normally wear your pants - how often does that get a trip to the hairdressers or a splash of Tressemme?
In these times of the Credit Crunch (tm) we should all take to wearing pants on our heads to save money at the barbers...

I was just thinking, even the phrase 'hair care in the bush' could be seen as tautological.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like bob says, soapwort springs to mind but I just tend to wear a hat after day one.

If you don`t mind smelling like a brewery for a few days you could just pour a can of beer over your head.
Or there's the old standing under a waterfall trick for that special Timotei moment.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You can use eggs and lemon I think, though if you were to bring them out with you you might as well bring shampoo!

truth be told hair doesnt need washing. the only reason it gets greasy is because we wash it and strip it of natural oils and these over produce immediately afterwards. If you dont wash your hair after about six weeks it becomes self conditioning and actually goes shiny and really beautiful. it still needs to be rinsed and cleaned but no need for any chemicals once its natural balance is restored.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
..... truth be told hair doesnt need washing. the only reason it gets greasy is because we wash it and strip it of natural oils and these over produce immediately afterwards. If you dont wash your hair after about six weeks it becomes self conditioning and actually goes shiny and really beautiful.

My sister-in-law doesn`t wash my neice and nephews hair with shampoo, much to the horror of my mum :)

Can`t say I`ve noticed it being any different tbh

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
If you get half a dozen or so conkers from a horsechestnut tree, grind the seeds in your billycan and add enough water to make a runny paste. Wet your hair and apply the paste and lather-up as normal. Ideally, the seeds are better if first dried and soaked in water before grinding but this method should still work.
It can also be used for washing clothes.

Pine tar soap is an excellent skin cleanser and also good for poor skin. Tricky to make in the wilds, though :(

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Beer......
drinking-51.gif

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Ah, you say that, but pants are very good at keeping hair under control. Think were you normally wear your pants - how often does that get a trip to the hairdressers or a splash of Tressemme?
In these times of the Credit Crunch (tm) we should all take to wearing pants on our heads to save money at the barbers...

I was just thinking, even the phrase 'hair care in the bush' could be seen as tautological.

When I'm not wearing pants (I part on the right!) I have a No2 haircut which looks after itself.
Alan

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
If I remember rightly, you can use any clay to clean your hair

Saw it on one of those 'Lets make some peeps live as Iron-Age folks' TV programs.......I think it was from the 80's, they did it again recently but the volunteers didn't cope very well

I try not to wash my hair too often as it goes and looks like my heads exploded , but I do brush it every morning and its fairly long (like pony tail long) so the grease from the roots gets pulled along to the dry ends.

all you need to do is comb your hair regularly and the natural grease in your hair is no different from how the animals are because of our modern lifestyle we think our hair is dirty and greasy and needs to be cleaned we strip all the natural oils out of our hair with shampoos and then have to use conditioners to get our hair back to a proper PH level, if left alone you get used to your hair with its own natural oils the way it was meant to be in the first place....

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
Try washing it in baking soda ( 1tspn - 1 cup water), much less harmful to the scalp and hair than shampoo, rinse in apple cider vinegar ( 1tblsn - 1 cup water).
I switched from daily shampoo + conditioner to this twice a week and got good results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE