GS Bergen/Ruck Question..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Would anyone know if these will generate fractures in the PU/PVC coating in sub 0 temperature weather?

Im not sure of the exact name so here are 3 pictures..I think its General Service Bergen...

611599263_o.jpg

611599357_o.jpg

007-1.jpg

This actually arrived from Oxford UK today just as I typed this up. Its dated 1984. Its NOS, never issues and in crisp new condition. The PU coating on it is still sticky and it has 0 scratches on the frame. Its about 50 liters. Roughly the same size or a bit larger then a US medium ALICE ruck. The frame fits me 100% perfect cause im short. It fits all my ruck kit but for the the monster winter sleep sack so Ill have to figure out something for the winter. I plan to use the sled for the duration anyhow so its not that huge a deal for the now. The shoulder straps have appliances like the US equivalent in that its a fast cinch down system but doesn't have the quick release the US ALICE straps have. They appear used but are in excellent condition.

anyhow the original question about sub 0 weather still applies.

SANY0001_zps76cf368c.jpg

SANY0002_zps683ecc12.jpg

SANY0004_zps95da967f.jpg

SANY0006_zps355217a2.jpg

SANY0008_zpsedea1673.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
its made from butyl nylon and being as its designed for military i think it would have been tested in various theatre's think it should be fine(and wish id never sold mine)

its made from butyl nylon and being as its designed for military i think it would have been tested in various theatre's think it should be fine(and wish id never sold mine)

Hi Andy..I assumed the same too. One never knows though. I also assume they stopped using them do the the cost and the low cargo capacity. Not any
material issues. We have one and half more months of hard winter here. I just want to know what to expect. But I do agree with you..

Thanks.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I used one of these for 8 years in the Army. They were fine for any weather I experienced in the UK and W.Europe. You have the smaller version which my Battalion were issued with. I never figured out why as they were too small for the job we were doing. I must be honest I never used that one as I had the larger original version shown in your third pic. If you look closely you'll notice that soldier's Bergen is larger than yours. It's about 120 litre if I remember right. The Paras were issued them as standard back then. The frames and straps are the same on both size Bergen's and the frame was used to carry the Clansman radios as well. The larger Bergen will fit right onto that frame.

I carried between 120 -140 pounds in that Bergen for years and it stood up to everything and did it well, although mines was pretty much past it's best when I got out. The waterproofing had perished ( I always bagged up my gear anyway ) and the plastic coating was peeling from the frame. To be fair though it had been well used/abused. The back support straps inside the frame can be tensioned to suit and fitting another few is good, if you can find them. A closed foam sleeping mat can be folded up and stuffed in there for extra comfort although I never bothered.

Some will say these Bergen's are rubbish. I would say they did their job well. They are certainly robust. I'll be honest and say this though. We had officers who wouldn't allow us to use civvy kit so we didn't have a choice. Would I have bought something better had I had that choice? Probably. There wasn't much suitable alternatives around at that time although I know Cyclops Bergen were popular among the Royal Marines so I would probably have tried one.

Your Bergen and frame will be fine in UK winters mate.

Edit... Just realised you're in Alaska mate. Probably the coldest I experienced using that frame was in Bavaria. An unexpectedly cold few days reached around -20c if I remember right. The Bergen's probably coped better than we did. :)

Last edited:

I used one of these for 8 years in the Army. They were fine for any weather I experienced in the UK and W.Europe. You have the smaller version which my Battalion were issued with. I never figured out why as they were too small for the job we were doing. I must be honest I never used that one as I had the larger original version shown in your third pic. If you look closely you'll notice that soldier's Bergen is larger than yours. It's about 120 litre if I remember right. The Paras were issued them as standard back then. The frames and straps are the same on both size Bergen's and the frame was used to carry the Clansman radios as well. The larger Bergen will fit right onto that frame.

I carried between 120 -140 pounds in that Bergen for years and it stood up to everything and did it well, although mines was pretty much past it's best when I got out. The waterproofing had perished ( I always bagged up my gear anyway ) and the plastic coating was peeling from the frame. To be fair though it had been well used/abused. The back support straps inside the frame can be tensioned to suit and fitting another few is good, if you can find them. A closed foam sleeping mat can be folded up and stuffed in there for extra comfort although I never bothered.

Some will say these Bergen's are rubbish. I would say they did their job well. They are certainly robust. I'll be honest and say this though. We had officers who wouldn't allow us to use civvy kit so we didn't have a choice. Would I have bought something better had I had that choice? Probably. There wasn't much suitable alternatives around at that time although I know Cyclops Bergen were popular among the Royal Marines so I would probably have tried one.

Your Bergen and frame will be fine in UK winters mate.

Great info and thanks for taking the time to type that in. Much appreciated..Ill be heading out with mine tomorrow here in Alaska. Ill post some pictures and my thoughts. From what i gathered with research, having it my hands today and what you've told me, I suspect it will suit my needs well..

And yes I mixed up the pics as i posted the wrong sized Bergen..You're 100% correct on the sizes. No argument from me, Sir..

Kind regards,

Bergmann
Alaska USA

Dec 16, 2007
I have a freind who did a tour in the falklands and south georgia with one in the early 90's (I had left the firm by then) so if they were used there Im sure they will be fine in Alaska.

It's good your short as they were made to sit above beltkit like the 3rd pic. Plus that was the time I was in when we had 58 webbing the good old SLR rifle and the GS. Im going all misty eye now think I need to go a sniff some old surplus.

I have a freind who did a tour in the falklands and south georgia with one in the early 90's (I had left the firm by then) so if they were used there Im sure they will be fine in Alaska.

It's good your short as they were made to sit above beltkit like the 3rd pic. Plus that was the time I was in when we had 58 webbing the good old SLR rifle and the GS. Im going all misty eye now think I need to go a sniff some old surplus.

LOL...I use Frankenstein Pat58/45/44 belt kit here too. Very solid piece of kit. Some dated to 1944 but still keeps out the Alaskan weather.

My main reason for this ruck is because I'm short and Ive worn out my PLCE Bergen
to the point the tops of the straps are pulling away form the main pack. It was time for something new..
.But it was long on me and crushed my belt kit.

0bddb99e-7191-4cde-ae84-dbfc3387cad0_zps84d56e62.jpg

1b6d0dbf-cf26-4fcc-b9bf-a90b25b23d16_zpsc492fcdc.jpg

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
So of the old boy's would loop para cord through the top of the shoulder straps and the frame. The dog collar clips got a thing for breaking.

Topknot

Just out of interest, how did the PLCE bergen stand up to the Alaskan elements ? :)

It worked well. I got it used so I don't know what it had been through before I obtained it. It was in good condition but 5 years later its reached a catastrophic level with the shoulder straps ripping away from the main body and the zippers have teeth gone with more looking to vacate. But for 50USD, I got my 5 years worth from it, and then some. It got a bit stiff in 30 below 0 but nothing to fret over. The camo was well worne off too with it looking like desert camo w/o a hit from a spray can once every so often. It was a good serving ruck for me in Alaska..

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE