Hi any old soldiers about? "Shellscrape" question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
We had/dug a sleeping area, with a higher floor level than the stand-in trench. A NBC blanket/poncho was streched over this supported by paracord strung between pegs (there was a particular way to string the cord but I can't remember how) and earth was piled on top then the sods so the enemy couldn't see the excavations. This was supposed to stop a chieftain tank from squashing the two or three occupants if it ran over the trench.( From memory the trench wasn't wider than 18")
We saw tanks in the distance on one excersise (Clam Furey, supposed to have been the biggest NATO excersise since WW2, helicopter deployments of troops from Luneberg Heath) in Germany on the plain below our position but I was given a boll*king for standing up to watch them and after that I kept my head down.
We fired a considerable amount of GPMG rounds and supposedly drove off the 'ememy'. Our speciality was ambushes. All cold war stuff in 1976 to '79.
S

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland

Has a 1941 PAM covering defensive works. Which might give you some pointers.

Edit - It's also just occurred to me that if you can lay hands on an IPK, 'kippex' in the vernacular. There's a sheet in the pack with instructions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE