Grumpy old rant.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im sure you wouldnt say that if it was greys.

`somebodys` got to kill vermin; why not someone paying to do this job?

On the food line; lets all go back to saying grace.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I think we've stepped onto the slippery slope of 'Is it right to ENJOY killing animals' i.e. if its sport you derive pleasure whereas if its pest control you don't.

Guys youre not going to solve that one here, its a minefield.

Just reiterating, I have nothing against people 'enjoying' fieldsports, indeed some of my most memorable times have been fishing, stalking etc - as long as you genuinely respect the individual creature and safeguard the species and its habitat.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay tempers fraying here.

On the wood pigeon front, they are in fact protected by law. They may be legally shot (and in large numbers) for a variety of reasons by duly authorised individuals (crop protection is one such reason). They may not be shot for "sport" and to do so is an offense (and a criminal one at that).

As for buying meat in a butcher rather than taking my own. That is cruelty to me. If I take an animal for the pot (which not a "must" thing its a choice I like to make), the animal lives a healthy, natural life in the wild, is quickly and humanely despatched and eaten. Many farm animals (particularly intensively farmed ones) have a truly horrible life - visit a battery chicken farm, dairy farm when the calves are born or an intensive pig farm. Buying such products condones horrific cruelty which I won't sully these pages with. Hunting and trapping wild animals (I have no problem with snaring either if done properly so that strngulation is impossible) allows them to live natural lives, and have a dignified end.

Even driven shoots where the birds are shot in the hundreds (I live on one such shoot) are far more humane than intensive farms. Pheasants and partridge live in the woods and can fly off if they choose. When shot they are sold to game butchers. Thats about as "free range" as it gets.

Hunting is probably the kindest and most humane way of getting meat. It also encourages personal accountability. However it should not be undertaken without full training and expert guidance. With these in place, its a great sport and a positive contribution to animal welfare.

Red

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Fully agree to all the points...not sure how much respect I give to fish when cooking but I certainly wouldn't let a live fish flap around on the ground without killing it humanely.
As for chopping down trees I have no need....very occasionally I have cut a walking stick but my current one was found and not cut.
No trace camping me Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Altough I lack the time to hunt for my food (too busy writing on this site ...?) I would prefer to eat meat that had lived a fulfilling life in the wild, eating natural foods and having a happy life (until I took it to feed me) rather than some poor bl**dy creature reared in cramped and painful captivity, fed on the processed bodies of it mates and or chemically enhanced crud, artificially matured with growth hormones, antibiotics and other harmful, unnecessary addatives to its food and then suffer a demeaning, horrifying and painful death in filthy conditions at the hands of uncaring operatives all to fulfill the demand of the consumer who wants meat cheap and easily available in its plastic wrapper on the supermarket shelf.
Cut down the demand for shop bought meat - cut down the intensive rearing of animals for the cheap meat trade - cut down animal suffering - increase the production of organically reared, Compassion in Farming based meat production - where animals ar treated with some sort of respect - which is all better for the animals and better for the consumers, better for the quality of the food.
I am as guilty of greed and sloth - wanting cheap meat and knowing how it is come by yet still buying it - as any and it is shaming, because I know I should do better (in my own eyes at least).
When I take a life be it animal or vegetable I should try to ensure I do so with respect
as all life forms are as worthy of that respect as I am. Humans contain no more life force than a carrot does, so show respect to the life that is sacrificed to maintain yours!
I agree that bringing back the show of respect that is "Grace" before eating would be a step in the right direction.
Eating only meat from animals that have lived with respect would be another. Remembering that all your food was once a living entity is another.
What a rant - I think it is because I am angry at myself for not heeding my own words well enough!
No disrespect meant to anyone who does not share my understanding/views/beliefs
and yes tonite I feast on supermarket meat.....
John

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't get me wrong I agree with the need to cull animal stocks but I disagree with people who go out and just shoot as many animals and birds as they can so they can pose for a nice photo.
Bushcraft wise, if you can't get anything from your butchers and you have the means to catch / shoot one or two animals / birds then fair enough. Because it will only be one or two, not 200

My only rant as I have already mentioned is the needless killing of animals and birds for fun.

Park rangers, Game keepers, Forest wardens and other authorised personnel should be the only people who should be aloud to kill animals in large numbers.
Obviously I count farmers in to this category.
I state this because these people no the land and habitats they work in and know the limits in which they can take without destroying.

This is my last post on the matter..rant over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE