Grrr! **/!@*** rip off merchants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
[rant]

Don't you just hate it when a company tries to steal your cash? It really annoys me no end, it doesn't matter how much or how little it's the damned principle of the thing. Many businesses are beyond reproach in their dealings and are wonderful to buy from, others like digitaldirectgb - an ebay shop - are horrid.

I ordered a bluetooth dongle from them, only to find that they don't stock the items in the UK and had to ship it from Hong Kong - strike one, their shop is listed as UK and should only sell from it according to evilbay gumph I think. The it doesn't arrive so an email is sent and the reply I get promises that it will arrive soon. Does it? No don't be silly Nagual you say, and quite right it doesn't. Strike two more emails sent and received, all promising it will be sent or I can get a refund. I ask for a refund which I am entitled to under Distance Selling Regulations, and since they offered one... what do you think they said.... :lmao: Aye thats right... NO! But they will try and send me another item if I want...!! No No No. Strike Three You're Outta Here! So a paypal claim has been raised, and here's hoping that it's resolved soon.

[/rant ]

Ahh that feels better to winge about it in the open.. :D

Cheers, Nag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a similar thing with something I bought, it was supposed to be coming from London but it turned up 6 weeks later clearly packaged in Japan. And after all the hassle of chasing it up every week, it turned out to be a fake item anyway. I just chucked the lot in the bin, lesson learned.

Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What you do is once the Paypal dispute finds in your favour is keep a hold of the item. When they ask for you to send it back, you quote them their P+P costs that they described in their sale!

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I had a dispute once over a knife I bought on ebay. After getting nowhere with the seller I reported him/her to paypal and they found in my favour. I was refunded in full, now heres the good bit....paypal said and I quote "you need to take no further action".

I got all my money back and I still have the knife, a crap knife by all accounts, but at least they couldn't relist it and try to rp off another buyer.

Every cloud............ATB....Stu

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Yup yup, I've had pretty much the same thing.. but not :rolleyes:
Ordered an ipod case in December on ebay, said next day delivery, so when it didn't arrive, I waited for a while and a couple of weeks later messaged the seller to ask where it was - a reply asking some sort of detail, so I answered and.. no reply.. and another couple of weeks.. no case.. The same thing continued to happen for weeks, but after I threatened to report them they came up with it pretty quickly and I've only just received it the other day:buttkick:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Amazing isn't how fast an online retailer changes their tune when they receive the official PayPal claim? Full refund given. Well, there's a lesson learned.. :)

Cheers, Nag.

jimmyh

Mar 7, 2007
Merseyside
Even if Paypal find a claim in your favour you will not get back any post and packaging you shelled out for.
Like the Heatpal i never received from Germany.:(

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Even if Paypal find a claim in your favour you will not get back any post and packaging you shelled out for.
Like the Heatpal i never received from Germany.:(

Not so, I received a full refund inc P&P. Under UK Distance Selling Regulations, if an item has not been delivered after 30 days, a full refund inc delivery charges should be given. Perhaps it was because from outside the UK you didn't.

Nag.

jimmyh

Mar 7, 2007
Merseyside
I tried to get the postage costs back, paypal said they "do not refund postage", this was a while ago. I gave up trying in the end.
If it's the law then i should still be able to claim it.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Advice - its that stuff you give to other people!

E bay and other sources ( Group buys aside! ) of 'cheap stuff' have a definate place. But its easy to forget the risk side.

Purely as example, not subtle marketing, I'm tentatively dealing with a certain LED torch range. Spoke direct with manufacturer and they put me onto their UK distributor. Incredibly helpful and a really nice guy to deal with. He works his proverbials off to support a product he believes in.

Time after time, got people grumbling at the price as they were on Ebay et al at half the price etc etc from Hong Kong etc. A price lower than the distributer could get them for. Some of these people got great deals - thats the free market, some never got their item and a few got something, not sure what - because it wasnt the real mcoy.

So sitting sagely on high ( pride and fall come into this I suspect ), my Gerber multi-tool needs replacing. Local shop was out so picked one up on Ebay.

Whilst out with Dougster last week we came across a sheep tangled in braided electric fence. Whilst Dougster did what Welshmen do... er best, I whipped out my 'Gerber' and then spent several minutes literally chewing through the line. Sheep free and released unmolested ( our story and we're sticking to it ) I look at the Gerber only to find the cutting jaws have worn away ( this was the first use ) - doh!

Either A & I Elgin are supplying super tough electric wire or I suspect my 'Gerber' is hookey.

Have to say at this point I dont know for sure - purely speculation for now. But packaged it up and now on way to Gerber for their opinion - with details of where purchased.

Its good Paypal/ Ebay and the like seem to be working hard to offer some protection, but - particularly for essential kit - what price peace of mind? Thought has occurred - what if it had been a child caught by the neck rather than a sheep by its legs?

Caveat Emptor!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE