Virus software rip off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
This is a bit of a moan but also a heads up. I've just sorted out a new computer for my elderly mother and whilst setting it up discovered she'd been paying for McAfee anti-virus software. Now this should have cost £27.49 a year if you buy it every year but because she trusted McAfee she'd signed up to the auto-renew and had been stung for..... £109.99 a year !!!

Now I can stop the auto-renew from now on but she's ended up paying more in antivirus software than the laptop cost. Looking into it there doesnt seem much chance of getting any refunds but it does seem a con to me. And to make matters worse they claim to offer ransomware protection, not from antivirus companies it seems.

Anyway, worth checking if you or a relative has it.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I always leave my renewal till the very last minute, last time i renewed mine, i got 24 months cover for ten devices for less than i had paid for annual cover when i first signed up.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
mcafee isnt that great, have a look at bitdefender, if you look for their reviews they usually have a discounted link, i cancel and re apply with the discounted link. Alternatively, go through the cancel renewal dance and see if they give you a discount.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have ESET pro on a 3 year subscription that covers me and my folks on her two machines. Not sure whether it is much better or worse, but my computer is a self build that is around 10 years old and I don't have problems with the AV slowing it down, unlike windows updates that auto download.
Anyway, I feel better about paying for software if I can. I like to think that if they are running a paid business model, they are not having to figure out ways to make money from me and my data.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
https://www.av-comparatives.org/ for indepth comparisons. Antiviruses can be worse than malware because they too have hooks that may weaken browser or e-mail security. I personally don't use any, because I know what gets downloaded and when in doubt I put it into a sandbox and see how it behaves.

That aside, Windows Defender is "good enough". Free Bitdefender is good too if you want something a little lighter on CPU. No one needs to pay for an antivirus.

bearbait

I just buy a new version of McAfee each year from Mr. Amazon at a small fraction of the cost of McAfee's renewal price. I just got 15 months on 3 devices for £12.99 instead of the £60 or so McAfee wanted to auto renew (albeit on 5 devices, but I only use it on 2).

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
This is a bit of a moan but also a heads up. I've just sorted out a new computer for my elderly mother and whilst setting it up discovered she'd been paying for McAfee anti-virus software. Now this should have cost £27.49 a year if you buy it every year but because she trusted McAfee she'd signed up to the auto-renew and had been stung for..... £109.99 a year !!!

Now I can stop the auto-renew from now on but she's ended up paying more in antivirus software than the laptop cost. Looking into it there doesnt seem much chance of getting any refunds but it does seem a con to me. And to make matters worse they claim to offer ransomware protection, not from antivirus companies it seems.

Anyway, worth checking if you or a relative has it.
If McAffee have a Facebook page, it may well be worth posting a good moan about it there, stressing how they’re taking advantage of the vulnerable and elderly, but also praise them for how good they have always been previously and how disappointed you are (it always helps and puts them “on the spot”. It can often work, because they know the power of social media.

Reactions: slowworm

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
And yet, I know at least one person who relies on Windows Defender that I get spam email from. I even get spam email from someone running a MacBook! - but Macs have been targeted more in recent years.

Like Chris, I have a block ESET license that I have kept going for over 20 years; I have never had malware or a virus but it has caught a few.

Have a look at:

But, you can also find 'expert' advice that says you don't need it - so it's a matter of personal budget, priority, and peace of mind.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
But, you can also find 'expert' advice that says you don't need it - so it's a matter of personal budget, priority, and peace of mind.
Advice from a website that is sponsored by advertisements from anti-virus-developers is also not very trustworthy....
I work in IT for more than 25 years and managed multiple datacentres, i have seen the security centre from Microsoft in Seattle. There is no solution that is 100% virus/spam proof.

Reactions: Toddy and Bearmont

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Advice from a website that is sponsored by advertisements from anti-virus-developers is also not very trustworthy....
I work in IT for more than 25 years and managed multiple datacentres, i have seen the security centre from Microsoft in Seattle. There is no solution that is 100% virus/spam proof.
Agreed, and agreed - but I also did IT security work - I don't trust anything that's free :)

Reactions: Toddy

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
I dunno about UK-based VPN, but Surfshark is a Dutch one that's quite good and inexpensive. Servers are obfuscated, there are no logs, so it's even geared towards the P2P crowd.

Reactions: TeeDee

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
First, for McAfee, don't use a live credit card. Get a virtual card when you sign-up and turn it off afterward.

For VPN, NordVPN is a solid choice. Be careful with cheaper alternatives to make sure they aren't a front for government agencies or criminal networks. Proton is one I would look into today but, NordVPN works well for me.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Whilst all the IT peeps are peeping - whats a good VPN based in the UK?
ProtonVPN is probably my favourite and arguably most secure. I also use their mail for my proper ‘secure’ email, where I may have personal/sensitive information. They’re very privacy focused.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t realise this was an old thread!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Another vote for Proton VPN if you need one.
I have used Avira free AV (get the occasional popup) ever since AVG free went bad. CCleaner free is good for tidying up. All these softwares can be configured not to annoy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE