groundsheets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi All,

My wife and I are ground dwellers and are in need of a new ground sheet. We tried using a pat 58 poncho last time and moisture from the ground soaked it and then made us wet, we don't want to use bivi bags.

So is it best just to get a £10 groundsheet from argos or is there something else out there a little more recommended? Ideally it has to be light weight and cheap.

We have a bright blue builders tarp which i could cut down but it wouldn't be our first choice.

Cheers

Steve

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
In the past i have used the sheet from an IPK. very cheap and never failed me. good size too.

after a suggestion from a mate i recently changed to use a Reusable Space Blanket from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/MPI-13001551-Original-Space-Blanket/dp/B000BS01SW
51bcu2sPhxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bit bigger but has the added advantage of reflecting heat. but cost about £13

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There's loads of cheap groundsheet's on fleabay... I paid £1.99 posted for a 2x1mtr which does the job for laying my bivi on.

hth, al.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Poundland near me do a green groundsheets.....for.....£1. I can't remember the size off the top of my head but it's certainly big enough for one person to sleep on. It has metal eyelets at each corner for pegging out too IIRC. May be worth having a look at your local Pound shop. Let me know if you need me to pick you a couple and post them on at cost.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Thanks everyone, it sounds like there isn't a huge amount of difference in quality/weight so will probably pop to the pound shop and see how it goes before getting anything more expensive.

Thanks for the kind offer as well sxmolloy but there is a pound shop in our local town.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Poundland near me do a green groundsheets.....for.....£1. I can't remember the size off the top of my head but it's certainly big enough for one person to sleep on. It has metal eyelets at each corner for pegging out too IIRC. May be worth having a look at your local Pound shop. Let me know if you need me to pick you a couple and post them on at cost.

They are 1x2m bought one as a cover for our trailer, which is a perfect fit :)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
If you want lightweight and tiny bulk then you can't go far wrong with this stuff ...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/secondary-glazing-film/invt/210014/

It's a thin transparent plastic sheet which is really tough and weighs next to nothing, it's also known as polcryo which is highly recommended by the ultralightweight backpacking crew.

A 1.5x2.5m sheet weighs around 80g

Good shout, I'll have to try that out :) Been thinking about what I could use to save on weight, without spending a load of cash on a single person groundsheet.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
+1 for IPK sheets. Even though I'm a 3 season tree hugger, I spend the winter on the ground and have never found fault with the good old IPK. If the colour puts you off, just look for Tyvek material in your local builders merchant......same stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE