Grave Goods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
As you may have read elsewhere, my basket making at the Moot was cut short due to the arrival of the police to tell me that my mother had died.

We gave my Dad chocolate biscuits and sweets to take with him when he was cremated, and I wanted to give my Mum something appropriate for her. She always loved the countryside, so it seemed a good idea to finish what I had started at the Moot.

I've therefore made her a simple country basket (my first basket) and I'll fill it with flowers and herbs from the garden for her to take with her. It is made with ivy from my garden.

Geoff

basket_01.jpg

basket_02.jpg

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Geoff, my condolances once again mate. What a lovely idea to do the basket, a cherished handmade item for a cherished person. :D Keep your chin up.;)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its a wonderful thing to give - so much more personal than anything bought. I find it very symbolic to, if you don't mind me saying. How its cut short with the willow and continued with a different weave, its embued with the event that happened. I think life is very like that.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That is a beautiful thing to do Geoff
I'm sure she'll be very touched by that looking down from on high.

Mark

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I find it very symbolic to, if you don't mind me saying. How its cut short with the willow and continued with a different weave, its embued with the event that happened. I think life is very like that.

The contrast between the stop and the re-start is thought provoking.

That's why I'm not an artist or an art critic! :)

The change in the colour of the weave is because I'd run out of brown ivy stems yesterday afternoon and so I had to go and cut down some new green stems. Then this morning I tried with some brown ivy stems that I'd soaked overnight, but they kept breaking so I went and found some more green.

Or were there hidden forces at work that caused me to make those changes...

Geoff

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
My families thoughts and our hearts go out to you, what a lovely basket and a lovely thought.

All the best Paul, Nikki and Trixie (our dog)

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
May all the beautiful moments that you shared with your Mother be as flowers in the basket of your life, and guide you until the day when your loved ones weave you a parting basket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE