Enough for today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's enough whittlin' for today.

Been making wooden beads to make a necklace, cordage is hand spun hemp, made some mushrooms then coloured them red, white and blue with permanent markers (not the white one, thats natural wood) for the Coronation before mounting on a piece of Oak bark so they stand as a group and then made a couple of flowers mounted on stems of Cherry Plum..

The shrooms and flowers will go outside for people to take, the necklace, ill probably gift that too at some point, not today though.

All made with a Swiss Army Knife from thin Hazel sticks that came out of the garden, now my fingers are sore and its time for a cuppa and some ginger nuts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No wonder your fingers are sore. Have to learn to pace yourself, those sore fingers are a nuisance. I got to the point where I couldn't button my shirt they hurt so much.

Now, I have several carving projects "on the go" at any time with very different carving activities. My thumbs took a beating, otherwise.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did too much yesterday, so today is a chill out, sit down, don't do much sort of day.
I can't not make though, so I have sewing (anyone in need of a heavy duty zip for outdoor stuff, I am clearing out. Ask and I'll have a look through the box) at hand, and I've been playing with Inktense pencils again :) I'm making wee books for a Book Nook, I'm making a library scene in 12th scale. Really tempted to make a woodland camp in one though. Drape a bit of ripstop in a sort of 'chute', light in the fire, sort of thing.

Not terribly bushcrafty, but nothing really ready to be worked of all the stuff I gathered. From flag iris to nettle and flax, it's just not ready.
I think if bushcraft is anything it's patience. Patience to learn, to find in season, to work at the making of stuff.

It's a sodden wet day out there, but I have the windows open and am enjoying that cool clean air :) everything around here was covered in fine Sahara dust. I had to use the windscreen washers and ended up with muddy dribbles everywhere. Glad it poured, glad it really poured.

So, a quiet Sunday, what are you up to ?

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I did too much yesterday, so today is a chill out, sit down, don't do much sort of day.
I can't not make though, so I have sewing (anyone in need of a heavy duty zip for outdoor stuff, I am clearing out. Ask and I'll have a look through the box) at hand, and I've been playing with Inktense pencils again :) I'm making wee books for a Book Nook, I'm making a library scene in 12th scale.
Not terribly bushcrafty, but nothing really ready to be worked of all the stuff I gathered. From flag iris to nettle and flax, it's just not ready.
I think if bushcraft is anything it's patience. Patience to learn, to find in season, to work at the making of stuff.

It's a sodden wet day out there, but I have the windows open and am enjoying that cool clean air :) everything around here was covered in fine Sahara dust. I had to use the windscreen washers and ended up with muddy dribbles everywhere. Glad it poured, glad it really poured.

So, a quiet Sunday, what are you up to ?

M
It's a horribly humid, klaggy day here down on the South Coast, thankfully though we have cloud cover so that has kept the temps down, been watching the rain clouds build and then disappear and it just rained for all of 30 seconds, now it looks like its clearing up out over the sea, but the day is drawing on so hopefully the clouds will disappear and it will be a clear cool(ish) night, these high temps and humidity don't help me at all, i've never liked the heat anyway, much prefer the cold, but at present everything just hurts because the heat and humidity has swollen things up, but ive tried to keep busy.

Other than that ive been playing as one does, i pulled a spoon out of the jar on the shelf that i made back in 2020 (one of the ones that came from my one branch project One Small Birch), i didn't like it much, the neck was too thick, the bowl too shallow, so i carved it down, the bowl is much better now and the neck is a little more refined, ive been making purse nets as well, until my hands gave up because of the repetitive nature, and sadly i spent a couple of hours doing my online shop, bit of a saddo, as i love to sit here and analyse the prices per Kg, Litre etc so i get the best value, must be a hang over from my past

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Revamped Birch spoon from 2020

Before

53176898492_69af007164_z.jpg

After

53177690139_36e366dcea_z.jpg

Much more elegant :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't done any netting in ages.....strangely enough though there's one of Eric Methven's yellow netting needles sitting in my pencil tub beside me.....and I found a whole boxful of hemp string yesterday in one of the sheds.
I used to quite enjoy net making.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I find netting very therapeutic, i sit here, with some music on and just lose myself in the hypnotic process of making a net, i'm thinking that i might make some melon nets for the greenhouse for when i have had my op(s) and am able to get back out there, they won't take up much room after all if i don't use them next year as planned.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
I love woodwork hence being a chippy for years , but i loved when we use to go to craft fairs and see all the hand carving work , one guy was carving a budgie and other stuff it was amazing , i always say i will try it but with all the other stuff never get the time to learn , between gun stock refurbs and so on .

One point are we allowed to call ginger nuts ginger nuts these days or will we have the ginger haired people say hey stop talking about my private parts please lol sorry i just had to between the alphabet people and not allow to say colours because it offends lol ginger nuts hmmmm

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I used to net in the days when macramé was popular.
Somewhere there is about a fifth of a cast net, some perforated stones and about two miles of cord waiting to be finished. It’s waited a long time.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
That's enough whittlin' for today.

Been making wooden beads to make a necklace, cordage is hand spun hemp, made some mushrooms then coloured them red, white and blue with permanent markers (not the white one, thats natural wood) for the Coronation before mounting on a piece of Oak bark so they stand as a group and then made a couple of flowers mounted on stems of Cherry Plum..

The shrooms and flowers will go outside for people to take, the necklace, ill probably gift that too at some point, not today though.

All made with a Swiss Army Knife from thin Hazel sticks that came out of the garden, now my fingers are sore and its time for a cuppa and some ginger nuts.

Super job buddy

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE