Shorts, street and hill suitable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Every summer I get close to the time shops move to autumn and decide I need a pair of shorts. Just after they've run out of stock in the shops near me. So it's Internet time!

I've had too many failures online recently so i need ideas what to get. I've had good (fairly to rather expensive) hiking shorts, a good pair of mountain bike shorts and a few others over the years. Last year I got a nylon alpkit stretchy pair that's comfortable, fits, looks good, plenty of pockets but in the heat it's like you've put a plastic bag tightly around your nethers.

In the uk and looking for a good place to buy / good makes to get. I usually wear hiking shorts or mtb shorts without padding. Plenty of movement. Most casual styles, cotton cargo for example, tend to be restricted when moving or crouching.i don't like that, prefer a loose for movement, articulated/well designed for movement or stretchy for movement. Longer leg for uv safe outdoors time. Much prefer cover up than slop on the gunky chemical sunscreen.

I might come across as lazy asking here but I've done a fair bit of looking around recently and past years. Always getting really poor items. Currently got to send another two items back. It's frustrating!

Reactions: dwardo

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Watching with interest... Although I expect to end up in the same situation as general full length pants where I end up spending more than I want but are happy with them, once the pain of the cost is more distant :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Struggle every year to find a decent pair. So end up with cheap sainsburys, Matalans that I get rid of in October or my army issue mtp shorts. I like the style but wish I could dye the mtp out.

Try the 2 above online or helikons might be your best chance

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
After this thread I thought I would give them a try.
I think like me you don’t like wearing army kit but I do like the shorts. So I Dyed some mtp shorts olive green and they came out pretty good. Less issue looking at least.
I used Dylon hand dye .
The picture makes them look lighter than they are because of the iPad flash I guess but they are darker and better. No pink or light colours that the photo shows.

Attachments

• 727B78F6-589A-42E8-919A-E76AC5AE1B4B.jpeg
    727B78F6-589A-42E8-919A-E76AC5AE1B4B.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 6833BD22-B9A8-4462-9A03-009B49939B62.jpeg
    6833BD22-B9A8-4462-9A03-009B49939B62.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 22

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
For summer working I'm normally in a pair of multi pocket work shorts but the rest of the time I wear the Helikon shorts, really comfortable and just enough pockets.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
M&S (yes really) cargo shorts (various lengths and materials) are pretty good. There are usually a few on Ebay.

The only weak point is that the waist pocket materials aren't very tough against pointy objects, but probably the same as most shorts.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
M&S (yes really) cargo shorts (various lengths and materials) are pretty good. There are usually a few on Ebay.

The only weak point is that the waist pocket materials aren't very tough against pointy objects, but probably the same as most shorts.
I will second that - Ive got a pair on right now. They are wearing well, and they reach down to the top of my knees (I’m Mr Average). Mine are a subtle green camo colour and very comfy.

Reactions: Aristotle

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am a bit late to the party.

Solognac hunting shorts 500 for dry weather and 100 for possible rainy intermissions. Both cheap as chips.

I tried and tested mainly the 500 which are great but 100% cotton.

The 100 is simple and made of a polyester-cotton mix. Much faster drying of course and very light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE