Gotlands axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi
I start and see if the axe can be done and I think that it will work.
This axe are only a prototype axe only to have a master to make tools and for some test with weigth and size .
Hope you like it and it´s not ready some work left on it
Cegga
Gotlandsyxa002.jpg

Gotlandsyxa001.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whoa thats gorgeous Michael...looks spot on to the original to me!

I have about 12 tonnes of wood to render at the moment (going down fast though)....I can promise a good workout :D

Red

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Looks like it has a bottle-opener under the poll. Luckily I have 'some' ale on hand for axe-testing purposes. Do you want to send it to me now or later? ;)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Just out of interest, does the rear of the head taper to an edge too? The illustration seems to look that way & is slightly more pointy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we are guessing here - working from pictures of the original

I do wonder if the cutting edge has a piece missing at the bottom (rusted away) and should carry on further down. What Cegga has made is totally faithful to the black and white picture, but we must remember that that was a very old and corroded piece of steel

Thoughts?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think we are guessing here - working from pictures of the original

I do wonder if the cutting edge has a piece missing at the bottom (rusted away) and should carry on further down. What Cegga has made is totally faithful to the black and white picture, but we must remember that that was a very old and corroded piece of steel

Thoughts?

I have to admit Red I prefer the other photo you placed up , a little more refined shape? Just an opinion.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Red, I have played around in Photoshop & show in this pic what the cutting edge would look like without the notch.

gotland.jpg

Personally I'm not sure, i think i prefer it "notched", but what purpose would it serve? Perhaps to use as a lever to ease the axe out of wood (or a body) when stuck.

If you look at the above picture, specifically at the shading, the axe seems to widen where the red arrow is, presumably to accommodate the handle, but the whole back seems to taper - not to a cutting edge - more like a froe.

There seems to be sharpish points at the top & bottom - this whole section reminds me of some of the poll axes I've seen at the armory in Leeds - chop with the front - bludgeon & spike with the back :)

Is there an actual photo of the Gotland axe? All i can find is the illustration :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats very interesting James. I believe the helve should be further back in the head; The lugs shoud protect and cover the helve. I believe the poll (back) of the axe head would have wrapped around the head slightly too

Something like this

Gotland by British Red, on Flickr

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE