Got myself a Polish Army Tipi! (A few pics :) )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Good evening all.
Hope all is well your way.

Having read the many posts on this forum I went and ordered myself a polish lavvu off ebay on friday. It arrived today and after buttoning it together at work I walked over the hills to my house, got the rest of my gear together and walked the long walk to the beach (About 5 mins perhaps ;)).

Just before this it had chucked it doon as it had done throughout the day. A few wintry showers but thankfully it stayed clear for me.

I got the tent, trangia, axe, woolen blanket, kindlin etc all in my 40litre lowe alpine pack. I also took a bag of split larch from work.

Anyways. To cut a long story short I got the tent set up after a bit of problem with the pegs in the sand. Once lightly pegged I worked my way around and paracorded rocks to the peg holes and nothing bar a tsunami woul shift her ;). In went my gear (My it is dark in there) on with the trangia and off to find some food.

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

I cooked myself some seaweed and limpets. Tasty Tasty. Must try some recipes rather than a straight boil (TBH They're nicer raw :D)
DSC01025.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

While everything was simmering away I dug a small pit, lined it with rocks and with the help of some parafin I got a nice wee fire going.
There was very little wood on the beach but I had the fire going for about two hours.

DSC01028.jpg

I stayed until the fire was just a few wee embers and then covered it up.
The stones I used as pegs were put back and everything bar a very clean fire pit was left.

DSC01033.jpg

The final treat of the night was seeing a fine polecat. Beautifully white, and very friendly. An escapee perhaps?
DSC01034.jpg

Still not quite sure how to button the tipi up though.. there's double buttons and I can't figure them out. I'll have another look tomorrow but any advice greatly appreciated.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
yeah i have one of these, although i have brought it to use a hide when out photographing animals etc, i havent quite worked out how to do mine up either, i kept ending up with a hole on top, although i think you have it inside out, but i dont suppose it matters!

Looks well suited to beach stuff, and that polecat is cool!!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Finally got to use mine over the weekend :) two observations, i found it a bit draughty and the central pole hampered me with getting in and out of my sleeping bag!

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
You need some sand to fill in the gaps ;)
Didn't think the buttons on the vents would be so damn fidly ! I'm not good with buttons at all though.
The gf's jeans are always a problem.
Now what's inside out and outside in for these.. I assume the pouch at the top is inside and one just slots in the other with the pole?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Now what's inside out and outside in for these.. I assume the pouch at the top is inside and one just slots in the other with the pole?

thats how i did mine but i was confused by the double buttons. I just put it together so the printed info bit and the extra material (for the shoulders if it was a poncho) were inside, means the vent buttons are outside but its not that much of an issue i wouldnt have thought.

its those vents im going to poke my camera lens out of btw :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The double buttons, button up over each other so that both sets are fastened, do one row first then do the other row. It didn't look particuarly easy either when nolightweight did mine. He will tell you better than me if he sees this :)

They don't let much light through thats for sure. :D

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
I've never seen one so friendy afore. It was a few meters away, stopped for a while then ran up towards rabbit central where it hid in the burrows for a while, came back out, back in. I was close to grabbing it to check him over but he nipped back in and was gone.

Glad I had my Petzl Ultra, fairly lights everything up!

Cheers for the info on the buttons.
Just to clarify does that mean double row to double row?
I currently have double button to single strip.
To have double button to double hole I'm assuming one bit is to be inside out?
Or maye I have it wrong.

I shall have to check out in the open after laying it out.

Cheers again

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
They do the job well enough, very solid and even midday direct sunlight wont light the inside up enough, so that you dont need a torch

only problem I can see is like most buttons that are done and undone frequently when they (eventually) fail, it will most likely be all at the same time. Be a bit crap to re sew all those buttons when your out.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
That's what i do.

The Polish lavvu's are at least 20 to 30 years old and were unissued, so i can't see a problem with the buttons falling off for a few years yet.:D There wasn't any rust on the steel pegs either.:eek:

nah they would be ok for ages yet, i have done one side up and 3 buttons on the other side that way, the other buttons are going to take less strain as im only going to do them up single skinned for the door unless its blowing a gale lol.

mine was grade 1 apparently, but it was all wrapped up, with a tag on one side, no marks, blemishes anything anywhere, and it smells kind of waxy.

Having brought this to use as a bird hide, im going to give it a go, i have a belgian have canvas and half waterproof bivi bag that would go perfect with this seeing as it doesnt have a groundsheet (the bivi is a bit crap in the open air hence why i dont use it) but in this tent when i only need protection from the ground it will be fine. Will use it with a blanket and sleeping abg when its to cold for my hammock i think

nice bit of kit, im looking forward to spending a night in it

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
only problem I can see is like most buttons that are done and undone frequently when they (eventually) fail, it will most likely be all at the same time. Be a bit crap to re sew all those buttons when your out.

My buttons dont get touched, i close the door by pulling the flap across and putting the bottom peg hole over the peg holding the otherside down, Works a treat, and i have only used this tent in the colder months so far.

One other point to note, is that a candle lantern is perfect for them and even warms them up well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE