Got any snow yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Good dusting of snow here in Angus and cold too.
Had to make an ice breaking tool today as the lochs on the reserve and farm where I work are getting covered in ice and the ornamental Cayuga ducks got stranded the other day.

I was once so pathetic i did that at fishing grounds just to get my fly fishing fix in the winter.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
still none here, had a dusting this morning but nothing else, just very cold and a bit damp. i am hoping to be pleasantly surprised in the morning when i look out the window!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Just got back from working away in Middlesbrough and it was coming down in droves where we were, 6 inches in one night lol.

Of course muggins had to dig the van out!!!!

Still nice scenery on the way home

Dave

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
No snow here in Peterborough yet! In fact, as precipitation goes we miss out a lot here in East Anglia. I got an 'Arktis SAS Smock' from the first Group Buy organised by LBL and still haven't had a chance to give it a proper test yet - 20 minutes of light drizzle is all we've had in 2 weeks :(

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I went out last night, because I figured it would be good to try out my Akto after not having used it for a decade and to try out my new sleeping bag.

It was coming down hard and it was difficult to see where I could "land" (in my boat), but I finally found the place, set up the tent, but it was cold. Really cold, and my trousers weren't warm enough. I seriously need to figure some wool trousers out or something without elastic band in them to put under.
Anyway, I was freezing cold when the tent was set up and the downmat pumped, so I took out my newly acquired alcohol stove to make myself a cup of coffee. My gloves were wet and my sleeping bag hadn't "fluffed" yet, so in an attempt to get warm I brought my uco oil lantern inside and set it on a small board. I chose not to hang it as I was afraid it would get too close to the side of the inner tent. Now the water was boiling, so I turned around and instantly I could smell burned plastics!

Yup, that's right, the sleeping bag had fluffed in some places, and it not only tipped the oil lantern leaving a small pinky-nail sized hole in the inner tent, but it left a hole in the sleeping bag just a tad bigger than the top of the oil lantern.

Having removed the sleeping bag fro the offender, and have set the lamp outside the tent, ever so slowly to avoid having too much down escape the constraints of the ripstop, I found some "band-aid tape" (I'm not sure what the English term is) and slowly and cautiously tape one row after the next, until I was as satisfied as I possibly could be in a situation where I had been a dumb-f....

Anyway, I woke up to a tent frozen almost solid. There were ice both on the inside and the outside, although the innertent was reasonably dry.

It had started blowing really bad and my trousers were nowhere near warm enough, my gloves not dry yet.
I decided I was heading home to do it another day.
My upturned boat were covered in icey snow, and when I turned it the right way up, a piece of the ground came with it and rested on the "foredeck". It had simply frozen to the ground.
I wrapped my head as best I could, donned the wet gloves which by now dyed my hands a nice rusty brown. It was a long slog home against the wind. My toes were really, really cold, as were my bum, even if I have just made myself a fur seat that fit my sliding seat.

To dot the I, when I was to be picked up, the car couldn't come all the way down to the dock, so we had to carry the gear for quite a long way to get to the car.

Oh, I almost forgot: Apparently the plastics used to make sliding seat frame doesn't like the cold. One of the "grips" that holds the wheels and thus the seat to the rails had broken off when I docked.

You'd think someone was trying to tell me something ...

Anyway, maybe not tomorrow night, but in a couple of days I'll do it all over again, this time actually setting up the tarp and bring my firebox. First I have to mend my stuff (sigh!), and then I need to find some varm gloves and get me some warm leggings with a string waist.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE