goretex how do your store it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Sounds odd, but whats the best way to store goretex waterproofs (German army flectarn) and a gore tex bivvy bag. Do they suffer from being folded?

And before anyone asks, no I am not a camouflage freak and neither am I a pretend Rambo, it's just that the kit works and is very cheap! The problem buying ex-military gear is, it doesn't tell you how it is best stored or come with instructions.

My friends I look at your words of wisdom!

S :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I may make people gasp in horror about this but....

My Berghaus walking jacket spends a lot of it's time scrunched up at the bottom of my work rucksack in case it rains on my way to or from work. Apart from looking like i've been dragged through a hedge backward it is still waterproof after about 8 years of very hard use. :lmao:

My british army goretex bivvy bag spends it's life under the bed rolled up and seems to suffer no ill effects. :confused:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
don't worry about the camo thing, you won't be seen that way on this forum, people use camo for all sorts of reasons, bird watching hunting, just blending in, i use a auscam jacket (because the jacket is good quality not for the camo).
basically...
as long as it's not head to foot camo with a balaclava and machette we don't mind ;)

as for storing any goretex.

when storing in a rucksack?

stuff it in a stuff sack, folding it the same way each time will make gradually damadge on the folds, if stuffed it will gradually crease randomly all over so the wear is all over not just on the folds, iv'e worked in 2 camping shops this was the advice given to everyone which is the same advice given by the manufacturers, Berghaus, TNF, lowe alpine, etc

at home store hung up which helps air/dry it

for example my TNF sleeping bag came in a mesh storage bag, it's huge not compressed at all it's the way they are stored in the shop also!

i know it sounds crazy but it's the best way!

folding & rolling kit is more a habit thing, born from the military then pick up by scouts.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just stuff it in your pack, or into a small stuff sack. If you do wash it and find it isn't keeping water out, tumble dry it on a low heat or iron it with a cool iron. This relays the fibres in the jacket and hopefully it will retain its water proof qualities. Failing that, look at the nikwax products, you can win samples for on their website for free! I just won a sample of tech wash for two garments, not a bad deal!!

The bivi will be fine rolled up, but you can also just put your bag inside and stuff the whole lot into your pack.

Also, I think the fleck tarn is a great camouflage that isn't so bad. I prefer it to DPM, but you can get the german waterproofs in olive aswell.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Roll it, rather than fold it - less stress on the material. Don't store it scrunched up and damp.

Put it on a coat hanger when you are not using it, in a warm and airy place. Make sure it dries completely or you get fungus, mildew and ... smells!

Clean it with a damp cloth - engrained dirt blocks the breathability of the jacket/bivi bag.

If you use it a lot, wash it when it's really dirty; however, NEVER use detergent, use a technical wash (something like Nikwax Techwash) designed for breathable materials, and then reproof it (replenish the durable water repellent (DWR) coating) using a good proofer. Have a look at websites like the Nikwax one for specific instructions.

Best thing is to wait someone until you know buys a brand new washing machine and then wash your breathables in it before they have done any normal washing - normal washing detergents will 'contaminate' the machine after first use.

Hope these tips help. A lot depends on the manufacturer of the material and the type of material. Some of the 3-ply fabrics are more robust but the lighter-weight fabrics like eVent and single-layer goretex need a little more care.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
spamel said:
Also, I think the fleck tarn is a great camouflage that isn't so bad. I prefer it to DPM, but you can get the german waterproofs in olive aswell.

I agree - Flecktarn is very nice. I live/work in Germany and a lot of their military kit is very good quality. I was very pleased to get a flecktarn zip-front smock with hood from a German surplus store for about 12 quid. It's a lovely jacket and, with all the talk of expensive 'SAS/ventile smocks' (I save mine for work, thank you), I am surprised not more people have picked up on it, or the Swedish/Norwegian army green smocks.

Remember that you can improve the water repellency of any material using DWR proofing agents. You end up with a very breathable but showerproof garment. For those uncomfortable with cam patterns, I haven't tried dying it another colour yet - but at the price, you could happily experiment.

Horses for courses...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE