How do I wash/fix army goretex, and other army goretex questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Hi

I've got an army goretex jacket (old style with wired hood).

It got really dirty on a fishing trip (fell over in mud - what a fool). How do I was it to bring it back to servicable condition?

Also, some of the tape is coming loose from the inside seams. What's the best way of attaching it back?

On the other hand, I am tempted to get one of the German or French army goretex coats, as I read somewhere they were better than the British ones, anyone know if that's true?

I know the French ones come with pit zips, which seem handy, and more pockets, and the German ones are thinner, and so lighter.

Anyone got any experience of them?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
The seam tapes were originally heat applied, the easiest and quickest fix would be with some seam sealant.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
To seal the seams, the best stuff is the iron on gore seam sealing tape. I picked up a huge roll of it off ebay a few years back (went halfs with a friend), and it was only a few quid. You can also repair small tears etc with it too.

The old issue jackets are very good, with genuine 3 layer goretex material. I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it if i was you, unless it is beyond repair. I have the Tantalus issue version of that jacket- with a few differences- pit zips, better volume adjuster on the hood, compass pocket, and mesh on the bottom of the pockets to let it drain- the best of both worlds!

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I recently bought one of the french goretex jackets and it's awesome, I'd highly recommend one.
It's much better quality than the english ones, they don't all have pockets though, they used to but it seems they've changed the design, be sure to check if the jacket you're buying has pockets if ordering online.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that, chaps, will check out the iron on tape.

R3xxy - what's the french jacket like for packing down? is it quite bulky, or does it go small. To look at online, I'm thinking, bulky.
One of the good things I heard about the German flectarn jacket is that it is good quality goretext, but thin (designed as a top layer rather than jacket in itself), and packs away small. Of course, the price is very appealing, as well.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Yeah I don't think it would pack down very small, I have never had reason to fold it up or stuff it in my pack but The pit zips certainly wouldn't help and the fabric is double layered for the majority of the length of the sleeve, also four zips for the pockets, it tends to hold it's shape fairly well so I'd give it a miss if you're looking for something small and packable.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that. I'm really tied between the French (esp after seeing it's hood), and the German. Then I went and saw an Austrian smock, which also looks good. More research, I think.

I still intend to keep the one I have. It is more a winter affair though, and great for fishing.

Thanks for that

Phil

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
perfect timing as I have in my posession a genuine canadian army issue gore tex bivi bag with a 3 inch gash around the chest area, what repair patches/kit do you guys reccomend?

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I don't know, but I've seen goretex with glued patches. If it were me (and, seeing as I started the thread, you can tell I'm no expert), I'd stitch it together first, so it's got strength, then patch it - with either a piece of spare goretex or maybe even something like the thermarest patch kit. Like I said, no expert, but that's what first springs to mind.

All the best

Phil

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
german goretex is very thin and flexible and feels more like a polycotton, but wear is high on anything but new. i bought a load of grade 1 to sell and have elected to sell at a loss as the wear was quite high. i have a early dpm goretex with chest pockets with arctic buttons like a smock, wired arctci hood, think its a 90 patt? not sure, very very good quality! endicotts have them, i paid £50 for mine and would pay that again. however, the american goretex is superb but again, needs to be new as its genuine goretex material and seams and i would look for new to get that hi-quality product in an un-battered state.

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
How would one go about finding one of these German or French goretex jackets? Do French issue garments use the same NATO sizes as the German ones? Standard sizes that are only M/L etc tend to have short sleeves. I have the British-issued "MVP" Goretex jacket already, and while it lacks any and all pockets and pit-zips it is pretty good, and it was very cheap on the electronic flea bay. Would have prefered a plain coloured one though, to avoid people staring (hippies!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE