How to expand or 'get more room' from a pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Hi Rat and Shewie, cheers for the input!

The 'survival kit' is shorthand for a few things I reckoned would be handy - either daily, or in case I got separated from my main kit - I've got to confess I've pretty much lifted it out of the rear pouch my webbing (apart from stuff that obviously won't be required like rifle cleaning kit) - hexi and a spare meal bag from a set of rations, a candle, spoon, spare matches and puritabs, a windshirt, and a few other 'bits and pieces'. Now you mention it that does look pretty irrelevant for hiking and the like in my own time - it's not as if I'm going to have to ditch my rucksack and run from anything, is it, and even if I did lose the pack, the kit would be in it and not on my belt. I rarely use any of the 'survival' part of it, just the everyday items like a spoon. I could probably shave the 'survival' part of it way down, to a firesteel and a few other bits and bobs, rather than the weight and space it's taking up now. As has also been said, ditto the wash kit - no need to shave, yes!

I should probably ditch a set of undercrackers as well - one spare T shirt and boxers and a spare set or 2 of socks is going to be plenty really, most often I come back after 2/3 days having changed only my socks.

I could also ditch the water filter as mentioned and use puritabs, and a Millbank bag would be a good (and relatively cheap and simple) addition too...

I guess what my kit is suffering from is being taken across more or less directly from the mil to the civ side of life, and what might be required in one isn't neccessarily needed in the other (and the timeframes you're likely to be out for are different too). Time to sit down and think about what I really need rather than simply repacking it all out of a bergen and into a rucksack! The 'ticking off what you didn't use' method seems a pretty sound one as well...

As for using a bergen, my original reason for getting a big civ rucksack was to get away from that and not to carry a militant-looking DPM bergen when I'm doing something in my own time, however, now I'm thinking getting away from that is probably a good impetus for sorting out and reducing my kit and getting into a different frame of mind about what I need to be taking and carrying too...

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
how do you think i feel with snugpack underblanket and a snugpack Antartic RE mate its colossal (sp) thats why i stick with the 120 lite mil bergan cos no other bags big enough

Drew mate, don't kid us. We all know a standard part of your kit is at least two litres of Jack Daniels.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
The Karrimor Sabre 75 with side pouches holds more kit than the standard issue bergan rucksack and is available in non-military colour schemes.

Regarding the sleeping bag, keep an eye out for developments in the near future, four-season sleeping bags the size and weight of a typical bivi-bag!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Regarding the sleeping bag, keep an eye out for developments in the near future, four-season sleeping bags the size and weight of a typical bivi-bag!

I hope that they will deliver on the promise of the sales pitch.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Hi Rat and Shewie, cheers for the input!

however, now I'm thinking getting away from that is probably a good impetus for sorting out and reducing my kit and getting into a different frame of mind about what I need to be taking and carrying too...

Good luck with that mate... it's taken me near on 20 years to get there (too many "just in case scenarios" bobbing around still....) I'd go withthe sound advice of paring down from what you used last time, it works!. Also ditch synthetic undercrackers and vests for merino, a bit more expensive but dont need washing so often. Keep your DKP No.1 puffer bottle full of talk and take only two pairs of socks. Ditch the soles-plimp-pairs-one for flip-flops.
I use a Vango Viper 200sq for spring summer and up to October just popping on merino longjohns and vest when needed - one of the best and definitely the smallest bags I've ever owned, and plenty of room too! Also I still use a (green) Cyclops ROK without side pouches and a modified civvy belt kit attached in place of the original hip belt by clips. I can swap around pouches as I need them and use the viper ones in black as I too hate having anything cabbage pattern these days...

The guys are right about you having to replace but I'd also agree that you should rationalise your kit before you leap into (another?) wrong purchase. You will be surprised what we thought was good kit has even better alternatives (merino being my personal favorite!!)

Good luck

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Replace the compression sack for an air valve equipped dry bag.
it has two huge benefits.
1. It keeps your sleeping bag dry.
2. When the air is evacuated, it has the same volume as a compressed sac, but it's malleable, so it can be moulded to fit the exact contours of your bag.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
this is not relevant if you have taken it back already but as for the bag longevity i have had one of these (older model) for the best part of 15 years and its had some hard use and its still going strong althought its a bit battle scarred. it has no holes or rips etc

i think they are good bags, i have used mine a lot and have found it plenty big enough, although sleeping bag/tent etc i strap on the outside and had all my small day stuff in a seperate shoulder bag. the strap mechanism is also god, you can really carry a big amount of weight in these and they stay comfy

as for amount in it, i used mine for 3 weeks camping round europe (france, italy, germany austria belgium etc) and i fitted all i needed in it with only some stuff on the outside - i did have to not take half my camera equipment tho i favour of clothes and cooking stuff - i brought my food in country every few days

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
once youv'e decided on your'e final kit list, if possible why not take it to the store and pack a few packs, if your going to spend some cash in there shop i'm sure they won't mind, it will also give you a better feel for how the pack sits when loaded.
perhapse have a look for a og plce bergan, not so militant, lots of room!

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Cheers for the pointers all. Cotswolds were good as anything and have posted it back for one which is the same maker and model but 10L bigger, winging it's way to me now, 75L should do the trick, if I can't hack it with that I need my head checked :eek:

Got all the kit spread out and trying to reduce it as well, it's probably the sort of thing that takes a bit of time as you figure out just what can be cut and just what can't, but I've definitely got to get there - watch this space!

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
heh, I said I needed a bit more than 65L, not to be able to jump skyscrapers in a single bound and turn over cars like they were Matchbox toys :p

Interesting development tho!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE