goretex boots yes or not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MARK II

Jul 31, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
I bought some Rogue Trans African boots about 6 months ago and found them to be very good,I havn't had wet feet yet ,I just make sure the stitching has plenty of budding on them,the down side is that they are a heavy boot .
Mark

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I bought a pair of cross mountain boots for 19 (19) quid over two years ago and they're still going strong. ;) Just an example that cheap boots arent always bad, and yes they are pretty water resistant. I'm planning to buy a gtx sock to go with them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've got through a few pairs of Gore Tex boots. Unfortunately, as much as I like Gore Tex in general, I've found that the footwear falls short.

The shoes will only be waterproof for as long as the Gore Tex lining remains unbroken. In my experience this is only a few months. The Gore Tex lining is basically a sock inside your shoe and after a while it splits and lets in water even though your shoes might still be in excellent condition and there might be no visible signs of the lining being damaged.

They don't breathe as well as non-waterproof shoes but then I've found that many of the modern synthetic lined shoes don't breathe all that well anyway.

I need waterproof shoes and because of my disappointment with Gore Tex lined shoes letting in water after only a few month use I switched over to waterproof socks!

I bought some SealSkinz socks and have been very pleased with them so far. For me the advantage is that I only wear the waterproof socks when I really need them and I can choose less expensive more breathable walking shoes/boots. I even wore the socks inside my trainers just to see how well they would perform. The trainers were soaked through but my feet were dry and fairly warm.

They do take ages to dry when you wash them so it's good to have two pair. I also wear a lining sock so they won't get too smelly if I need to wear them for more than a day.

I have a Gore Tex Jacket and leggings and I really like them but I wouldn't buy Gore Tex footwear again unless it was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up (even then I'd still take my SealSkinz socks with me in case the shoes started leaking).

In conclusion: My opinion is; don't get Gore Tex footwear get SealSkinz socks.

Check out their Website http://www.sealskinz.com/

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Rebel said:
The shoes will only be waterproof for as long as the Gore Tex lining remains unbroken. In my experience this is only a few months. [/url]

You must have been really unlucky....as I sais earlier, my Aigle boots (green canvas/suede) are over four years old and still completely waterproof despite the battering they've had. They've been used for gardening for the pst two years, including getting covered in sand/cement when hard landscaping. I had expected they would have ben "retired" by now but they're still going strong.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
For me, goretex is too fragile. It breaks too easily, clogs too easily, and doesn't work in the cold. People quote using boots for two years, four years, etc, why not thirty years? Boots can easily last that long, at least decent ones do, if looked after. And that takes into account heavy regular use.
Goretex you can't clean properly even with those fancy soaps, so over time, it will, no, it must, deteriorate.
I can't understand what it offers thats superior to leather boots anyway. In my Scarpa SLs my feet are never sweaty (at least no more than in shoes, or sandals, or any other footwear), and they also never get wet. The boots are extremely tough, will last for years, are as waterproof as I could want them (that is, I've stood in streams for hours without the tiniest damp - and lets face it, who stands around in streams all day?), they wipe dry both inside and out... I couldn't imagine a better boot, even with imaginary technology. When worn in, leather boots will fit your foot better than even a custom lining.
I have no clue why goretex boots were invented, other than to let the gore company make more money :confused: :confused:

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
gortex boots eh hmmmm
well the plus point is yu can have a pair of water proof that are soft so u do not really have to break them in - and they are pretty comfortable - the down side - well tbh i have found they only stay waterproof for around six months tops and they end up stinking to high heaven
i use to work in outdoor education so i was wearing my pair everyday but i would take them back every 3mths or so and get a new free pair - hehehehehehe

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
had an interesting experience in some outdoor gear shops when I had call to go into town today.
I was after some good quality, all leather non gore boots to replace my old ridgemasters (gonna keep 'em, but they're a bit overkill for the low level walking I do most of the time). I was looked at like I'd just asked fo lighlty grilled human liver! One shop even told me that most manufactueres don't make them, it's all fabric, gore lined and jazzy colours cos that's what sells. Out of 3 shops I tried only one had anything in stock. These were scarpa rangers, which were good and in my price range, but I wanted to try some other makes to make sure I get he best fit.
Thing is, I just don't like fabric boots, they don't seem very hardwearing to me (and I put 'em through some abuse). Oh well, the search continues.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My afore mentioned Danners are about 12-14 years old and they really don't leak. Honest!
They've been resoled only once, and while i might look after them when I get home, I don't treat them with kid gloves inthe field, in fact quite the opposite.

Maybe it depends on the quality of the boot in the first place...?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've been wearing Goretex lined Salomon boots every single day for nearly ten years now - they get retired when the soles wear out. Over that time I've used them well outside their specifications (like working on a farm in Aussie in the rainy season, or light winter climbing in 3-season trekking boots) and they've always been great. One pair even got run over by a tractor-trailer stacked 5-high with wet straw bales and were fine...

Only boots I've ever found that can keep my feet tolerably dry after a week in continuous rain. Leather, no matter how well proofed, always soaks though eventually in my experience. It helps that my feet don't sweat that much...

Horses for courses I guess...

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
You have not met sweaty feet till you've met me.

In the past my boots when removed have induced nausea, I kid thee not (perhaps I shouldn't actually mention these things)

The problem was particularly bad with GT lined footwear.

This all ended when I obtained a pair of Danner Ft. Lewis. Feet stay warm and dry, only after the longest days do you get any discernable odour ... And then it's generally a "fresh sweat" pong which is pretty bearable.

I cannot praise Danner boots highly enough.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
To be brief:
- Nothing is 100% waterproof and 100% breathable in my opinion.
- I have sweaty feet, goretex makes them sweat more, no goretex equals drier feet in most conditions. This is also very true if you are doing sweaty activities, like walking/tabbing/running long and fast.
- Leather can be proofed correctly with a little care and attention.
- Leather is stronger than fabric. I hate fabric. Leather boots are also made of less pieces, making them more robust in their build. And I am sure it makes them more comfortable because the fit is not flimsy.
- I have a low (ish) cut Zamberlan, all leather boot. No goretex. Proofed correctly it is waterproof. My feet get wet from sweat more than anything else.
- My wife got these same boots way back when. After ten years and a lot of mileage they graciously departed us. We both bought a pair after this and the style is the same as ten years ago- it has stood the test of time.
- We both broke our boots in on a 20 mile walk in the Brecon Beacons. Not a blister. A boot of this quality does not really require much breaking in.

3 crucial points:
- Goretex/no goretex. I choose not. My feet sweat enough and leather is good enough for me.
- Buy a full leather boot either with or without goretex. Up to you.
- Buy quality, it lasts. Zamberlan boots= £100. 100/10 = £10 a year. Now that makes sense. Lowa and Danner are other very good brands.

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
For my current boots I went to a decent outdoor shop who spent 40 minutes measuring my feet. They told me only 3 of their boots would fit my foot shape and I ended up with the best fitting which turned out to be Gore tex lined solomans. I wanted the scarpa's but they did not fit quite right. The shop also gave me a fit guarantee that I would not get blisters, now thats confidence. Straight out the box I went with full pack to brecon and over penny fan for 2 days. Attrotious weather the gore tex failed in 1 boot and I got a wet foot but I did not really care as I had no blisters. The shop swapped the boots after a leak test and the new ones are fine.
If the best fitting boot had been a non gore tex leather that is what I would have bought, so just go for the best fitting boot for you that will do the job you need it to do..

Rod

On a new journey
Gortex = skin of satan (IMO)

Having worked in the outdoor industry for many years I always asked customers "Do cows leak?" (except where they are supposed too! ;)) As long as you proof your boots regularly/properly they won't leak - except the big hole you put your foot in. Goretex is just someone's way of scr*wing more money out of you.

A breathable lined boot is only of any use in dry cold conditions where you need to keep the feet as dry as poss to prevent frostbite injuries.

P.S. as independent research has shown that the material itself doesn't actually work i.e. breathe!

Apologies - rant over

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
Gore tex seems water proof and seems to somehow breathe. In the past I have used an orange plastic bivi bag and and goretex bivi bag. If gore tex did not breathe a night in the goretex bivi would result in the same damp experience as the plastic bivi bag. I also walk every day in a gore tex jacket for about 45 minutes. If it offered no breathability it should be damp upon my return. From owning a jelly jacket as a child and experiencing 10 minutes of walking in those things Gore tex seems to offer a different experience. There may well be materials better than gore tex and in some conditions it may not work well but for me gore tex does what it says on the tin and as yet has only failed me once, first time out, due to a manafacturing fault. I would be interested to know if there is a membrane out there which is waterproof (by which I mean capable of being hosed down) but more breathable?

Rod

On a new journey
philm4 said:
I would be interested to know if there is a membrane out there which is waterproof (by which I mean capable of being hosed down) but more breathable?

Hi Phil,

The only one that competes membrane vs membrane is eVent (Rab & Montaine make jackets in it - both UK companies. Actually, GTX cannot hold a candle to it - IMO. I did some testing for Lowe Alpine before they intoduced it to the UK market and was quite amazed how comfy it was. I'm a 15 stone hairy-a***d bushcrafting, mountain climbing/biking sort and it has had a real bashing. Came up smiles every time. Would not allow GTX in the house from now on, bad juju! ;)

Hope this helps

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
Cheers Rod, I'm one for the latest kit so next time I buy an outer layer eVent membrane it is, I too am a 6'4'' 15st hairy mountain biker/walker, not sure I'm fully bushcrafter yet only been on two proper trips but I'll see how it holds up.

H

halo

hia faca i've got two pairs of lowa boots one supercamp leather lined for summer
one combat gtx for winter the gtx do just what they say on the box,i've been stood shin deep in freezing water flyfishing with toasty warm dry feet they are however too warm for spring/summer use though hence the leather lined ones.

so like mentioned before it works for some but not others if you can stretch to a pair of each go for it you wont be dissapionted,imo

cheers good look with whatever you choose

halo :)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
If you suffer from cold feet, use socks with a high content of wool (say 60%+) and terry-loop construction. Woolen insoles in winter and leather ones in summer also help to get a better climate inside your boots.
If your feet go numb, you have ill-fitting boots and no remedy exept new ones.
Goretex or not? I go through that routine five times a day with my customers and it always depends....., sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE