goretex boots yes or not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi I´d like your opinion about.
Boots with goretex or not.
I have used goretexvboots but my feet become cold and dump, thats normal, what I´m doing wrong.
How you get a no goretex boot to goretex without its inconvenients.
Thanks

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have used gortex boots pretty extensively in all conditions and can say its swings and roundabouts really.
Are the boots you use leather or man made materials?
I find all gortex boots normally after a good tramping about can leave your feet a little damp etc (it depends on how much you sweat). The material cannot keep up with the demand of trying to expell excess vapour and becomes bogged in your socks or boot inner.
You can always try goretex socks. I use these with my really old boots (I like them because they are comfy and no tech advancements). They generally get a good layer of dubbing and stay pretty dry when wearing the socks. The socks are much cheaper than purchasing an expensive pair of boots that may let you down when you are upto it in the elememts.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I'd advise against goretex in boots, as far as I can see it's pointless. Once the surface of the boot becomes wet and dirty it stops being breathable hence damp, sweaty feet. I'd go for a quality leather boot e.g. Scarpa and maybe a goretex sock.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I have a pair of Brasher gore-tex boots. Had 'em about 5 years now and they're still going strong.
I find them OK to use in winter, but they can be a bit warm otherwise. For tat reason, the next pair of boots I get (soon) will be unlined.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have a pair of La Sportiva Makalu's which have no gortex or other liners and I have never had wet feet in them. They are pretty much one piece leather and just don't let the water in. I was working in a swamp once and still had dry feet at the end of the day, they are superb. They are mountain boots (3-4 season) so maybe not what you are after. I bought them in Fort William and then walked the ring of Steele (big horseshoe) and I did not even get a blister from the new boots.
I love them...............Jon

Aug 28, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Goretex's raison d'etre is to be 100% waterproof and breathable. But there are limits on the transpiration rate (after all -you can get condensation on a cotton T-shirt and that's breathable) so you can still get damp feet inside. Things that slow Goretex transpiration are dirt, water, grease and the membranes on the outside of the Goretex layer .

If you waterproof your leather boots, the only place condensed transpired moisture is going to sit is on the inside of the leather (on the outside of the goretex membrane) since it won't quickly go through the proofed leather. This will in turn slow further transpiration. On this basis Goretex lined Fabric boots make more sense. Until they are wet on the outside that is, then again the Goretex can't do its job.

And, if you let water into your boots from the top...over your ankles... you will immediately stop the Goretex working as water will block the pores on the inside.

So... (I have a pair of Goretex Brashers and a pair of non-Goretex Meindl Burmas) ...I think it's best to think of Goretex in boots as an impermeable layer. If it's below zero it will be; if its wet on the inside it will be; if you have particularly sweaty feet it will be...

All that said, for some of the year and in some conditions there might actually be a benefit and your feet may be a little more comfortable in Goretex boots. But I don't think you'll notice most of the time. Only reason I have Goretex Brashers is 'cos I couldn't get non-Goretex.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
I have not used gortex boots before but have had a pair of scarpa's for the past 6 years and they are legendary!! I used to work in an outdoor store and you learn some of the 'so called' pro's and cons but remember the best pair of boots aren't just the most 'technical' etc...the best pair of boots are often the pair that fits you the best! As soon as you are spending £80-£150 on boots you are getting something decent...just make sure they fit and you get the correct treatment information.

Booshpig

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I have gone back to non Goretex leather boots (Meindl).

My big toe nails seem to gouge a hole in the lining thus making the boots leak.

Also my feet seemed to get just as hot and wet as with non GT boots.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
No more Gore-Tex for me. I'm a sweater and always end up clammy in Gore-Tex.

I'm very happy with my unlined Meindl Borneo boots. (and Ventile jackets)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have thinsulated goretex lined Danner Arcadias which are great and do not leat a drop of water in. Is they are fairly high legged, I have never had water come in over the top so can't comment on that. Yes, my feet get a bit sweaty, but after removing the boots and letting the socks air on my feet, they are dry again in a few minutes, so I don't consider it a problem. They do run a bit hot in summer, but i generally wear lighter lower boots in hot dry conditions. I have some suede goretex lined boots for that and they are ace in the hot.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I had a pair of Brasher non-goretex in the early to mid 90's followed by a pair of non-goretex Zamberlan. Both were superb but 6-8 hours hard hill walking still left me with hot sweaty feet. The Zamberlan are still going for summer/dry use. In terms of height both fit to just above the ankle bone. Because of wet feet in winter conditions I found a good deal on a pair of Aigle fabric goretx boots. These have been used both for general stuff on hills and in the woods and also for winter (commercial) gardening work. They've been hardwearing, waterproof despite a fair old battering and will probably be "retired" sometime this year. About 18 months ago, because I didn't think the Aigle would last, I bought a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon leather/goretex boots which I've worn in quietly hillwalking and general outdoors. Both the goretex boots are mid-height ie. taller than the ankle height boots but not full calf height.

I'm fully converted to goretex lined boots and to the mid-height versions as they provide more flexibility crossing streams, on swampy ground and in sustained wet weather. The Le Chameau did leave my feet hot after a summer day's hillwalking near Keswick but my original old faithfuls (non-lined) were just as bad in summer. Possibly the fabric boots are a touch cooler and the taller boots also retain the heat due to the extra 2-3 inches of padding above the ankle bone. My vote goes on goretex lined mid height boots for IMHO greater all round benefit and flexibility.

David Moulds

May 3, 2005
Belfast N.Ireland
I have had a pair of lowa mountain boots for the past five years and have not had a problem with them yet,They are a millatary boot so they are well tried and tested,If you are intrested in a pair make you order a size bigger as they are a really tight fit.
Hope this helps you a bit

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
I've been moving towards lighter and lighter footwear for a few years now and I don't think Goretex is worth it. If you're out in wet conditions all day the Goretex isn't going to be able to breathe anyway and if it's dry you don't need a waterproof layer.

Take a spare pair of dry socks. Save the weight of a Goretex layer and have dry feet when you get to camp.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
That hasn't been my experience. Whatever I wear there's always some light sweating when boots, shoes, trainers are worn for a sustained period, particularly when active. However much wax is applied to non-goretex boots , water will ingress after a few hours in a downpour. My experience with goretex has involved outdoor working in very wet conditions for 6-8 hours......and at the end of it, the surface of my boots has actually begun to dry during a half hour drive home, while my feet have been bone dry and pleasantly warm. That's just my experience and it's fair to assume it doesn't work that way for everyone.......but it's why I upgraded to goretex five years ago and why I'll continue to use it.

Burt

Jan 16, 2005
South Lincolnshire
I used to use the standard British Arny boots in all weathers...didn' have much choice. They weren't that comfy so the first chance I got I bought pair of gortex lined walking boots (suede/fabric) which were nice and light and did the job, however get them wet on the inside...and I did often and they are misery as they don't dry quick!Pro boots the same, comfy mind, just too hot! Still using leather gortex at the mo but going for a lightweight pair of all leather next. I can always stick a pair of Gortex socks on. I was having a look on a thread reviewing Rogue Trans Africa boots made by Selke leathercraft S.A. Seem good value too.
Heres the site to buy from:

www.unbeatentracks.com

Has anyone else used these?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I love this thread. I have had much experience with walking and boots etc. I do know that people have different shaped feet and what will work for some may not work for others. When I bought my La Sportiva's in Fort William, I really wanted Scarpa's or Meindles because of there reputation, but my feet were too narrow for them and they just did not feel right and lucky for me, the salesman knew his stuff (rare these days) and he sold me the right boots for me and what I was doing. I do have other boots though, I have some Hanwag 3 season gortex lined boots which after doing our bi-annual 50 mile walk (in one day) I only had a tiny blister on a toe, so they fit me well, but part of the walk one year involved walking through a corn field on a little used part of the south downs way. The corn was wet and the water travelled down my legs and into my gortex lined boots. I was squelching as I carried on the walk and it was horrible. I can argue for both lined and unlined boots, but if you get lined boots wet inside, it will not be nice for you and they will take ages to dry out. This is only my experiance, everyone will have different experiances, so I would say, think about what you want the boots for, think about what everyone has said here and find a decent boot supplier who will measure your feet correctly and give good advise. I recommend Peglers in Arundel, they know there stuff.............Jon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm not a big fan of gore-tex boots, either. Or gore-tex jackets that matter!

Sure, they'll keep your feet dry when you're walking through mud, but as soon as water gets into the tops of the boots, they take eons to dry. And sweat and oil and dirt clogs the pores diminishing their vaunted breathing capabilities. I much prefer a stout pair of leather boots, well treated to be water repellent. At least that way, while they might get wet, at least they'll dry!

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE